Low Ballers

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
Threeemperor

Low Ballers

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 11:37

Hi,

Am quite new to watch appreciation world..
How do you define lowballers always saw this term in sale corner in other forums as well..

In general when you saw an item on Sales, human nature will mark down that price when you deem it as OK price. Is 10% mark down deem as low ballers? or ridiculous offer price deem as is.

Price range above 300.

I recently purchase one and realise overpaid lol. no complain as what have been confirm must honor. :)

3e
lunarin79
CEO

Re: Low Ballers

Post by lunarin79 » 28 Sep 2012 11:55

98% of buyer SURE nego. I duno why.

If I sell a watch for $350, generally, people will tend to offer 300. Only a handful offer 330.

10% markdown, I will accept it immediately but not more than 20% or more.

there are many weird people out there.

Youo'll see soon enough.

to me, 10% is not considered a LB

50% is.
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Threeemperor

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 12:03

Thanks. Still not in the position to experience it as i only buying watches at current moment.
Will be soon :)

Guess it will be learning process for watch buyers. Learning how to offer a price need skill i believe.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 28 Sep 2012 12:07

Threeemperor wrote:Thanks. Still not in the position to experience it as i only buying watches at current moment.

Guess it will be learning process for watch buyers. Learning how to offer a price need skill i believe.
& a bit of luck :lol:
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 28 Sep 2012 12:12

Threeemperor wrote:Thanks. Still not in the position to experience it as i only buying watches at current moment.
b4 offer your price, is better to do more homework by google thru the past selling price and base on this you will know where the mkt price will be located at... :mrgreen:
Threeemperor

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 12:14

lunarin79 wrote:& a bit of luck :lol:
indeed.

really not much luck when trying to buy thru overseas forum as i have 0 posting :lol:
not a person that post alot...
Threeemperor

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 12:16

aiken74 wrote:b4 offer your price, is better to do more homework by google thru the past selling price and base on this you will know where the mkt price will be located at... :mrgreen:
i did that. But did not factor in the buyer got it with 20% discount and sell it full price.. :lol:
only realise it when i saw the receipt. Still within what i willing to buy though..
scs120

Post by scs120 » 28 Sep 2012 12:40

I would say 20% max in our local sale. But I love to deal with firm/fix price sellers...no need to bargain. :)
Threeemperor

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 13:05

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-bro ... 54932.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not sure am i not suppose to post this link. apologies..
just citing this as an example. how you u price your offer? if it is sensitive can ignore and remove this :)
just wanna learn the trade... think he not shipping over to this part of the world though...
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 28 Sep 2012 13:58

Threeemperor wrote:http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-bro ... 54932.html

not sure am i not suppose to post this link. apologies..
just citing this as an example. how you u price your offer? if it is sensitive can ignore and remove this :)
just wanna learn the trade... think he not shipping over to this part of the world though...

All of us a noobs really, why? Cuz we have a price ceiling/range which differs from each other. And what is fair? To cite the example above, the piece is OOS, and he is taking a $100 loss(~7.5%). Paypal still has 3-4% fees and you have to pay shipping. Be prepared to add USD$50-150 ( with tracking & insurance). So if you want it now, have to pay premium as compared to willing to wait.

Like Lunarin (and alot of bros here) said, he has a price that is fair/willing to sell, you have to be comfortable paying what you do. Give you a 50%-75% discount, you may think something is not right (especially with foreign sellers). Maybe even with local sellers. Will we open up the watch to check? I know most don't. You have a price you are willing to pay, he has a price he is willing to sell, you both agree, that's a fair exchange.

I once over paid $80 for a limited edition g shock. But lesson learn lor. :shock: tried to negotiate but seller stiff (local some more). Well, sucker once! My own fault for not walking away or researching well enough but will surely not be buying from that seller ever again. :P So fellow bros here don't hum tum me hor! :D

Clear cases of LB is if Seiko sumo is priced S$750-850 new, and seller advertise $500-700 (depending on condition) you offer $100-$250.(my idea of LB) Again this is a private transaction and I suppose if we put things up for sale, we expect all kinds of offers, main thing is not to be offended. Not your price don't SELL or BUY, simple! :mrgreen:
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
spynet

Post by spynet » 28 Sep 2012 15:01

Well Said. As a newbie, i would say its up to individual comfort. every one limit is different. end of day it is a decision made jointly by both party. Both agreeable, close deal, either one not, no go then. Move on to next as one never knows if a better offers pops up. Cheers to Friday
Threeemperor

Post by Threeemperor » 28 Sep 2012 15:57

so true.. am trying to price myself within range not out of range.. lol
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 28 Sep 2012 16:13

well, its human nature to ask for discount,least hoping for some $ off when they purchase something (and not in fixed price shops).
Its makes us all bit happier somehow and most sellers I come across are ok with that and we always keep in mind not to cross the line to the LB
area.

And how much would LB means? prolly from 30% discount onwards. (means almost 1/3 discount)
But really depends on how much $ begin marked up from costs VS market value VS how much discount seller willing to give(and stay geuinely happy)

*its also overly used term lah... just like 'rarewatches for sale'...etc
spynet

Post by spynet » 28 Sep 2012 16:24

True. Any seller try to priced too high will not attract interest and in time to come have to drop till interest appears. waste time waste effort really.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 28 Sep 2012 19:28

spynet wrote:True. Any seller try to priced too high will not attract interest and in time to come have to drop till interest appears. waste time waste effort really.
True. Which is why I will offer him the exact mkt price for the watch if seller priced it too high if I am really interested in the watch.

I will give benefit of doubt to seller. Either he priced it high bcos he knew LBers will throw their bowling balls hence marked it higher as a buffer OR seller is really out to make profit out of it.

Usually if I offer a price for the watch, his reply will be able to determine which category he falls in.
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 29 Sep 2012 06:19

Hahahahahah... I have quite different opinion on this matter.. Maybe I might be classified under the category of "bladdy lowballers" also.

I usually look at the seller's price and see if it is at a reasonable price. Then I'll offer my price openly on how much I feel it is worth.... Sell or don't sell up to you. Yes looking around at market price is also important but that only serves as. Guide to you. How much you wish to offer is still up to your own preference.

Sales is like this one mah... You think it's worth XXX amount but that is what you presume it is worth. Until someone really bought the item from you at that price, then it is REALLY worth xxx price. If you put there 1 year and no one buy, it can only means you item is not worth that xxx amount.

So whether an offer is low balling or not sometimes can be very subjective
titan

Post by titan » 29 Sep 2012 06:34

A very interesting topic

Well, first I believe seller have to price it to market rate. No point price high to counter lowball, end up u suffer.

Buyer, sure hope for some discount, to deem as lowball, well it can be subjective but boil down to condition of watch n how much seller willing to part with the watch.

End of the day, as long buyer n seller happy! Then the deal price will not be consider lowball.

Well if your offer gets no reply from the seller, you might know the seller is not willing to part with it.

Beyond 30% would be on the lowball side, well subjective too. But a good gauge I suppose.

I once tried to sell a 1 month flawless watch, bought at 4.5k, buyer stay at atas built timah, meet up on agreed price of 3.5k. Buyer was wearing a 10k watch n claim he never need to sell any watch n portray super rich to me. FYI I deliver the watch to his work place.

Guess wat, he end up insist on paying only 2.8k, my watch only 1month old, full set, flawless. only wear once at home.

This is ridiculous and surely a lowballer. This is my worse case till date.

Well of cos I walk away with blood pressure at the highest point, I guess I will never forget his face :evil:
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 29 Sep 2012 09:36

Touchy yet interesting topic.

As most agreed, there's no real guideline of what's low balling. I guess the best guideline is getting an offer way below market value, like more than 40% off.

That said, if you get an offer 40% off, you have to gauge whether is it 40% off the market value or 40% off your marked up price.

I usually ignore low ball offers, but sometimes like titan mentioned, they agreed on a price, meet you, then proceed with the low ball. That's the ultimate.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 29 Sep 2012 09:48

roo7 wrote:but sometimes like titan mentioned, they agreed on a price, meet you, then proceed with the low ball. That's the ultimate.
oh boy,that sounds so so familiar... :o
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 29 Sep 2012 10:03

oOsiMm wrote:
roo7 wrote:but sometimes like titan mentioned, they agreed on a price, meet you, then proceed with the low ball. That's the ultimate.
oh boy,that sounds so so familiar... :o
lol

ok now for me, if I post a watch FS up & i received a ridiculous offer for it, I will post a reply on the forum to suan the guy who made the offer liao. I'm still thinkinh whether to post the person's hp inside as well :evil:

bopian, no point being a nice guy.

end up we kena high blood pressure.

ALthough like wat roo said, ignore these people but when received this type of sms, see liao oso HOT

eg: like my previous watch FS, selling for $450. 1 joker offered $200 & ask me to consider.