Looking to buy a new watch.

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
rzfrsm

Looking to buy a new watch.

Post by rzfrsm » 18 Apr 2014 15:57

Hello everyone, basically I'm new to the forum and I'd love to know more about watches as I'm going to get my first 'proper' watch soon. My budget is around $150-$200, brand new or used is fine. The only watch I'm interested in(which I know of) currently is the Seiko 5. Planning to use is as an all rounder everyday use. What other watches are good and where should I get them? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks! 8-)
balzebub71

Re: Looking to buy a new watch.

Post by balzebub71 » 18 Apr 2014 16:03

Welcome to the forum. Seiko has so many styles...u need to let everyone know if u want..sporty..diver...dress style before they can make any recommendations...?

Sent from my Hongmi
I want to be a one watch guy!!
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 18 Apr 2014 18:20

Thanks! :) Well, I'm open to all 3 categories in fact. But if you ask me to pick between those 3, I would go for the diver/sports category as I love how they look especially with NATO straps on. I already own a trustworthy dress watch by Swatch so I'd want the diver/sport Seiko's for my everyday usage.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 18 Apr 2014 20:12

Getting a mechanical dress piece under 150 new is not a problem. Orient and Seiko both hv. But when it comes to sport, a moderate WR of 100m is suggested. Most of the models with such features will not look very elegant, yet cost a little more than 200 mark.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 18 Apr 2014 20:48

Sporty dive style Seiko and orient offers plenty of choice. For the sub look the Seiko SNZF17 is around 150(parallel set) ever classic SKX007K on jubilee 240 (thong sia set), Orient black ray on bracelet 199(AD set).....very versatile dive style watch....that can be dressed up or down. Of course only the 007 is a true diver.

Sent from my Hongmi
madabt

Post by madabt » 19 Apr 2014 00:01

Orient Ray is nice.
Can consider Seiko SKX007 too, looks good on nato. Or the SKX009 "pepsi" for a flashier look.
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 19 Apr 2014 03:36

balzebub71 wrote:Sporty dive style Seiko and orient offers plenty of choice. For the sub look the Seiko SNZF17 is around 150(parallel set) ever classic SKX007K on jubilee 240 (thong sia set), Orient black ray on bracelet 199(AD set).....very versatile dive style watch....that can be dressed up or down. Of course only the 007 is a true diver.

Sent from my Hongmi
First of all, have to thank you for all the suggestions. Did a quick research on all 3 watches you recommended. Really love the look with all of the 3, hands down. As far as I know, first on my list would be the Seiko SKX007K. True diver, durable, versatile to dress as well. Next would be the Orient Black Ray, those look stunning & lastly would be the SNZF17. They look just as good as the 007's but from some reviews, most say they have a cheap feeling and isn't a true diver?

Otherwise, love the look of all 3! Wouldn't mind spending a little more to get the 007's if it's really as good as what most says. Which out of the 3 I would get the most bang for my buck? And where do I go to find these watches? Would be going to look around anytime now.
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 19 Apr 2014 03:43

madabt wrote:Orient Ray is nice.
Can consider Seiko SKX007 too, looks good on nato. Or the SKX009 "pepsi" for a flashier look.
Thanks for your suggestions! Really love the look of Orient Ray, Seiko SNZF17 & of course the lovely SFX007's. I'm already tempted to get the 007/Orient and rock NATO's on them.. 009's are cool as well but I don't think those pepsi colours work for me! Might change my opinion when I see them in person though.. But where can I find them & how much are they all in terms of pricing? Any clue on parallel import sets and also 'original' distributed by Seiko itself? What's the difference and how can I tell them apart?
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 19 Apr 2014 03:47

Ed.YEO wrote:Getting a mechanical dress piece under 150 new is not a problem. Orient and Seiko both hv. But when it comes to sport, a moderate WR of 100m is suggested. Most of the models with such features will not look very elegant, yet cost a little more than 200 mark.

Good to know I can find some dress piece under my budget! Would go for those if I can't find any sport/divers in my budget.. I'm guessing a WR 100m should cover most light underwater activities? I just want a timepiece I can rely on as an all rounder and all I'm looking for in it is durability & versatility so I could lut them on anyday anytime with any types of clothes on!
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 19 Apr 2014 04:19

And what is it about Seiko watches with the J & K's? I understand the J are those made in Japan while I'm notntoo sure about the K's. Either way, are there any differences in quality/pricing etc?
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 19 Apr 2014 09:41

rzfrsm wrote:And what is it about Seiko watches with the J & K's? I understand the J are those made in Japan while I'm notntoo sure about the K's. Either way, are there any differences in quality/pricing etc?
This is aquestion that has been discussed in depth in a lot of forums including here. Do a search and you will read them. As always, make up your own mind.

Basically most will tell you that both variants are exactly the same. The difference is probably perceived due the greater quality ascribed to Japan made products. Mostly is how good you feel wearing the wacth.

For me, I prefer the watch to be Japan made or at least claimed to be made in Japan (country of origin of parts vsercentage and assemble debate)

Hope this muddies the water even more for oyu..hehehe :lol:
madabt

Post by madabt » 19 Apr 2014 09:49

Check out 3D and Win's at Bencoolen or Twinkle and Skywatches at People's Park Complex.
K's should be made in Malaysia. No real difference, maybe an additional line of words that says "Made in Japan" or in the case of the SKX007K, it does not have the "21 Jewels".
Mostly you feel better for having Made in Japan product. Its just a matter of whether you are willing to pay a premium for it.

In contrast to KKFA, I'd say, save the money and use it to buy more nato straps. :lol:

Dont worry too much about the water resistance. I have friends using the Seiko 5s to go diving down to 30m with no issues.
Dont limit yourself. Such a wide range to choose from, buy what you like.
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 19 Apr 2014 10:14

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a few good stores here.. it's always the usual hunts..
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 19 Apr 2014 11:12

For 007 just get the K version...cheaper than J and no difference in quality. Yes the seiko5 with 100m WR is not a true diver and neither us the orient even though it us 200m WR. But swimming, showering, snorkeling which I have tried wasn't an issue even with my 50m WR speedmaster.
Pricing as many bros here have stated, check out the usual haunts. Go for a non thong sia set and u can get a 007 on jubilee for around 220. Lowest I was offered for a Thong Sia set 007 on jubilee was 240 at lucky plaza

Sent from my Hongmi
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 19 Apr 2014 11:52

K2 is another decent place to look for what you want. The bros here have given you a great idea about pricing so enjoy the hunt for the piece.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 20 Apr 2014 16:34

Thanks to all for your great help in recommending the watches & giving heads up on best places to get them! Much appreciated guys. :D I have been doing some research online & also going down to various shops recommended to see the watches in person & also compare their prices.

Given my budget & also based on my research, I have come down to these watches to get as my everyday beater watch as many said I would get the most bang for my buck & couldn't go wrong with any one of these.

1) Seiko SKX007/009(K or J series both fine with me)
2) Orient Ray.
3) Orient Mako.(Only seen on the net, not sure if it's still in production?)

I love everything about the SKX series, but the damn Orient's are making me face a dilemma. Love them just because they look just a little more versatile than the SKX in terms of looks, can be dressed up or down just with a quick change of straps. Functionality/durability wise I guess both is just as good. Now I'll have to make a decision. :idea: :o
rzfrsm

Post by rzfrsm » 20 Apr 2014 16:42

Btw, just to add more to my dilemma, since I'm already facing one, are there any other brands/models that falls within the $150-$250 range? If there are do let me know. Currently deciding between these 2. Image
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 20 Apr 2014 16:49

If you are referring only to mechanical range.

Only Seiko & Orient fits the price range perfectly.

Citizen are mostly Eco-Drive.

Mushroom brands are not really worth the price even if there is one within this price.

Seagull is another brand I can think of but there are not many diver style watches.

I'll still stick to either a Seiko or an Orient.
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 20 Apr 2014 20:27

rzfrsm wrote:Btw, just to add more to my dilemma, since I'm already facing one, are there any other brands/models that falls within the $150-$250 range? If there are do let me know. Currently deciding between these 2. Image
I had owned both before and the ray wears considerably smaller and appears dressier. I prefer the bezel on the ray and the orient movement kept better time vs the 7Sxx. The endlinks on the ray totally sucked. Ultimately I would choose the 007 over the Ray.

Even though it cost more, it's a true diver 200m watch, better bracelet than the ray even on the jubilee. Most importantly, the possibilities for improving or modding it are endless...bracelet from Strathclyde with SELs, domed sapphire glass from Harold, any number of dial~hands combination from Harold or Dagaz...

Sent from my Hongmi
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 20 Apr 2014 22:27

balzebub71 wrote:
rzfrsm wrote:Btw, just to add more to my dilemma, since I'm already facing one, are there any other brands/models that falls within the $150-$250 range? If there are do let me know. Currently deciding between these 2.
I had owned both before and the ray wears considerably smaller and appears dressier. I prefer the bezel on the ray and the orient movement kept better time vs the 7Sxx. The endlinks on the ray totally sucked. Ultimately I would choose the 007 over the Ray.

Even though it cost more, it's a true diver 200m watch, better bracelet than the ray even on the jubilee. Most importantly, the possibilities for improving or modding it are endless...bracelet from Strathclyde with SELs, domed sapphire glass from Harold, any number of dial~hands combination from Harold or Dagaz...
ORIENT have a much more modern look, while 007~011 look kind of too dull and traditionally, conservatively a DIVER's watch design.
Pricing plays another part in affecting decisions. ORIENTs is quite competitive, should you compare combo vs combo... meaning, 007/9/11 will look very much ex than ORIENTs with sleek looks, both with bracelets.
Mod-ability, SEIKO have good selections of parts for the modding game. While ORIENTs.... so far i see very little...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...