Re: GS vs ROLEX

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Jul 2014 13:27

ivan wrote:I like OT
I like lunch
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 29 Jul 2014 13:48

I also like GS but no S11.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 29 Jul 2014 13:55

I also like GS......Good S*x. :p
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 29 Jul 2014 14:06

I can afford GS...G shock
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 29 Jul 2014 14:47

Most ppl who usually say rolex better typically never heard of rolexes or any other achievements other watch brands has.

Seiko took part in chronometer competitions in the past and won all the top few prices. Other watch brands sore loser or find no fun anymore discontinued the event. Best of all, Seiko didn't specially build watches for the event, every GS sold can be taken off the shelf and put into the competition. Swiss brands tend to specially build watches for the event and they are not in the mass market.

Back to GS or rolex:
I love both and hope in my fortunate life I get to own both of them. Both represent the best of watches has to offer without paying PP price. Grand Seiko has been competition tested to be much more durable than any Swiss brand that they now test all their pieces to be higher than COSC specs...if I was GS, meeting cosc specs is like failing as a GS

Rolex is simple and proven, ppl who baby their vintage rolex is uncalled for, john Mayer also said, someone has bought it to war before...no way you can damage it against the wall.

But if I die die have to choose...I'll take the rolex as it can exist in any country. Exist means able to sell the watch for price not far off what you paid for(tho I'm not selling, it could get u out of trouble). Most imptly serviceability- you can service a rolex anywhere in the world. But not so much for Seiko.
Jeryltan

GS vs ROLEX

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Jul 2014 15:29

I really like the snowflake (sbga011?) But price for it is really steep
kment

Post by kment » 29 Jul 2014 15:42

I guess it is perhaps due to the majority mass that have a mindset of that Angmoh made products is more of a superior than the others . And even if you ask ordinary commoners folks around ,not 100% but most likely they will also say Rolex . It's a fact and it's really a shame because majority of the mass doesn't really care other than the Brand itself .
The name itself already says it all , Rolex ? GS ? To many Grand or no Grand , Grand Seiko is just another Seiko , just like Lexus is just another Toyota , Acura is a Honda or infinity is another Nissan ... but for me , both are certainly out of reach and it's really a shame ..

And the last paragraph of kuang89 has sums it very well in my humble opinion .
Last edited by kment on 29 Jul 2014 15:57, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 004 » 29 Jul 2014 15:55

ivan wrote:
To each his own.

If care so much abt what other think about, then i suggest take a new look into life again.

Agree.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 29 Jul 2014 16:05

To be honest the only GS I would spend so much money on would be the anti magnetic quartz GS and perhaps a high beat GS. For SD I would be happy with more entry level model like the SD tuna or MM600. In terms of styling they are actually very pedestrian and safe. I guess my max budget for a seiko or GS would be 6 to 8k

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 29 Jul 2014 16:07

If you compare a more recent Rolex like those with AN serial to a GS. The rolex will stand out more in terms of build and size. The GS would feel, wear or look like most of the Seiko range. It is not heavier or anything much special. But the accuracy is there. It is inside the GS. I have a 4 year old one still keeping good time at +4 sec a day on my wrist. No prior servicing.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 29 Jul 2014 16:53

Evirobie wrote:If you compare a more recent Rolex like those with AN serial to a GS. The rolex will stand out more in terms of build and size. The GS would feel, wear or look like most of the Seiko range. It is not heavier or anything much special. But the accuracy is there. It is inside the GS. I have a 4 year old one still keeping good time at +4 sec a day on my wrist. No prior servicing.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk
I feel recent rolex sport series is quite gaudy and shouldn't have the polished center links. It's a sports watch. Except for the explorer ii...perfect rolex
leonmike

Post by leonmike » 29 Jul 2014 17:03

OK, let us compare a Royal Orient (RO) with a GS. What r your comments?
titan

Post by titan » 29 Jul 2014 17:15

Haha

Interesting from Rolex vs gs, To RO vs GS

My 2 cts, buy wat you like and dun care wat ppl say

If you mind wat ppl say buy Rolex.

If you care about resell buy Rolex.

I love both Rolex n GS, but everyone's ruler for each brand is difference.

For keeper buy Rolex, GS or RO, it does not matter so long the watch sing to you.
it's going to worth every penny u spend on it if you dun intend to sell.

Well there will be supporter for any brands, so end of the day it's your call.

If all say RO good, will you buy even if you like GS more?
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Jul 2014 17:42

leonmike wrote:OK, let us compare a Royal Orient (RO) with a GS. What r your comments?
Please don't.
Just stick w the topic.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 29 Jul 2014 17:46

NO, NO ROLEX!
that will be my answer
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 29 Jul 2014 18:21

Comparison posts across brands always lead to the same common denominator, buy what you like.

iOS vs Android, intel VS AMD and so on. :)
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Jul 2014 18:25

kment wrote:I guess it is perhaps due to the majority mass that have a mindset of that Angmoh made products is more of a superior than the others . And even if you ask ordinary commoners folks around ,not 100% but most likely they will also say Rolex . It's a fact and it's really a shame because majority of the mass doesn't really care other than the Brand itself .
The name itself already says it all , Rolex ? GS ? To many Grand or no Grand , Grand Seiko is just another Seiko , just like Lexus is just another Toyota , Acura is a Honda or infinity is another Nissan ... but for me , both are certainly out of reach and it's really a shame ..

Angmoh made products is more superior? people think that with reference to watches? :?:
kment

Post by kment » 29 Jul 2014 18:39

big-e-294 wrote:
kment wrote:I guess it is perhaps due to the majority mass that have a mindset of that Angmoh made products is more of a superior than the others . And even if you ask ordinary commoners folks around ,not 100% but most likely they will also say Rolex . It's a fact and it's really a shame because majority of the mass doesn't really care other than the Brand itself .

Angmoh made products is more superior? people think that with reference to watches? :?:
Less educated commoners folks do , most of them thinks that way .. not all are well educated , even for those with pocket deep deep market fish monger which wears shorts wear slippers driving Benz . They practically does thinks that way,
And if got a chance to ask those old papa old grand mother grand father , 99% they Will pick Rolex or OMEGA , sad but that's the way it is , it's because these folks they don't consider technical side of things . Give them a full gold Rollie with lots of diamonds diamonds and u might understand .
Last edited by kment on 29 Jul 2014 18:58, edited 1 time in total.