K2 Thread

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
chriscentro

Re: K2 Thread

Post by chriscentro » 18 Jun 2014 21:38

I wonder if Mr Goh takes in mechanical clocks?
My colleague want to sell.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 18 Jun 2014 22:09

chriscentro wrote:I wonder if Mr Goh takes in mechanical clocks?
What kind of mechanical clocks?
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 18 Jun 2014 22:31

TheChef wrote:
chriscentro wrote:I wonder if Mr Goh takes in mechanical clocks?
I think need keys to wind and I saw the word London. I will get more information.
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 19 Jun 2014 11:25

Pics. Vintage ?

Sounds interesting. I have a couple of Russian clocks. Wind up 8 days PR.

Shouted across the road.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
george_sg

Post by george_sg » 19 Jun 2014 16:20

chriscentro wrote:
TheChef wrote:
I think need keys to wind and I saw the word London. I will get more information.
why not post them in marketplace? I'm sure there are some whom can use a few clocks...:)
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 19 Jun 2014 18:56

Yah. If got watches and clocks for sale, post at Marketplace first. Haha...
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
tekong

Post by tekong » 22 Jun 2014 18:13

Just bought the sawtooth carbon fibre from Mr Goh. Left the black.... now if onli I can find the blue face. Image

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
ronnie

Post by ronnie » 25 Jun 2014 10:11

My first time to K2 was last Sunday after reading about Mr Goh on the web, and I bought a Monster from him. Hearing that Mr Goh was very good in fixing watches, I brought a "dead" Timex Watch to him. I was told by another watch store that my Timex watch was irreparable due to battery leak. I was quite sad as I remembered I paid quite a lot of money for the Timex watch. Was pleasantly surprised and impressed when Mr Goh managed to bring the watch to life! And he only charged me $10 to bring it to life.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 25 Jun 2014 18:52

ronnie wrote:My first time to K2 was last Sunday after reading about Mr Goh on the web, and I bought a Monster from him. Hearing that Mr Goh was very good in fixing watches, I brought a "dead" Timex Watch to him. I was told by another watch store that my Timex watch was irreparable due to battery leak. I was quite sad as I remembered I paid quite a lot of money for the Timex watch. Was pleasantly surprised and impressed when Mr Goh managed to bring the watch to life! And he only charged me $10 to bring it to life.
Wow. What a write up. You hammer advertisement for Mr Goh.
peh23

Post by peh23 » 26 Jun 2014 20:46

How come when I brought my Seiko sportura there for battery replacement, found old battery leak and he said he can't do anything? Now the top pusher when depressed no reaction.

ronnie wrote:My first time to K2 was last Sunday after reading about Mr Goh on the web, and I bought a Monster from him. Hearing that Mr Goh was very good in fixing watches, I brought a "dead" Timex Watch to him. I was told by another watch store that my Timex watch was irreparable due to battery leak. I was quite sad as I remembered I paid quite a lot of money for the Timex watch. Was pleasantly surprised and impressed when Mr Goh managed to bring the watch to life! And he only charged me $10 to bring it to life.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 26 Jun 2014 20:57

There are different level of leaks as well as different levels of damage. Some battery leaks are so corrosive that once dried up, the negative springy contact breaks along with the corrosion of the leaked fluid. Hence unable to do easy cleanup, to get the watch work again.
I had a ISA movement powered Man U Chrono once, battery leaked and dried causing the negative contact too corroded beyond repair. Master God also give up...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 27 Jun 2014 00:17

Ed.YEO wrote:There are different level of leaks as well as different levels of damage. Some battery leaks are so corrosive that once dried up, the negative springy contact breaks along with the corrosion of the leaked fluid. Hence unable to do easy cleanup, to get the watch work again.
I had a ISA movement powered Man U Chrono once, battery leaked and dried causing the negative contact too corroded beyond repair. Master God also give up...

not like this leh.

battery acid leaks, into circuit board, shorts live and negative, instantly killing components and the movement. thats all.

its like dropping ur HP into water, but in this case the "water" came from the battery.

watchmakers can clean up dried acid on battery contact points, and instantly movement comes alive, simply bcos the acid did not seep much or into any components inside the circuit board.the dried acid has become a insulator between battery and battery contact point, if you do not clean up, voltage or rather the electricity from the battery does not go inside the circuit to make the movement work.

its like some electronic stuff come with paper stuck in between the battery contact point to "stop" it from working untill end user decides to remove this insulator to let it start working again.

corrosion come very much after the above mention stuff. thus making ppl think corrosion kills the movement, which is not the initial cause that kills it leh.

in short change the battery asap when it stops.

in some case of expensive quartz watch like omega, just do a 1-2 yearly change even though watch is still ticking. some watch may still be ticking away, but acid has started to leaked already until it has leaked enuff to short some components.
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 27 Jun 2014 00:22

they are here again
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 27 Jun 2014 00:26

peh23 wrote:How come when I brought my Seiko sportura there for battery replacement, found old battery leak and he said he can't do anything? Now the top pusher when depressed no reaction.

see my post, not all leaks kill the movement instantly.

in ur case main time still ticking while chrono cant work??

if this is the case, only ur chrono circuit was affected by the leak, main time is still okie lo....
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 27 Jun 2014 01:08

phantom150 wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote:There are different level of leaks as well as different levels of damage. Some battery leaks are so corrosive that once dried up, the negative springy contact breaks along with the corrosion of the leaked fluid. Hence unable to do easy cleanup, to get the watch work again.

not like this leh.

battery acid leaks, into circuit board, shorts live and negative, instantly killing components and the movement. thats all... ...
In my case... something like this...
but not the ETA movement as shown in the picture for reference... The ISA movement was plastic all throughout.
Something like this...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
kment

Post by kment » 27 Jun 2014 01:25

So to say , battery quartz movement is prone to these type of malfunction cause by battery leaks , auto much more reliable and not so risky compared to quartz , consider when one invest thousands of dollars on a watch.
Thanks man , Good to know info on quartz movement issue like these
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 27 Jun 2014 03:21

Ed.YEO wrote: In my case... something like this...
but not the ETA movement as shown in the picture for reference... The ISA movement was plastic all throughout.
Something like this...
in any case, its not plastic throughout

the green line are wires or rather metal tracks that lay out flat to connect components up.

the black pimple in ur pic is the ic, or generally known as a semiconductor package. in most watch module, a timer package

watch movement is a eletro-mech device that connected up via a pcb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simple quartz clock pcb layout

a seiko 7a28 partial pcb

mechanical parts inside a quartz movement

looking at the pics, how can it be plastic throughout.

wat was shown after back cover aka screw back cover is open is just the surface of many layers of the typical watch movement.

i goggled using :
watch movement printed circuit board

quartz watch movement explained

In theory, it works like this:

1 Battery provides current to microchip circuit
2 Microchip circuit makes quartz crystal (precisely cut and shaped like a tuning fork) oscillate (vibrate) 32768 times per second.
3 Microchip circuit detects the crystal's oscillations and turns them into regular electric pulses, one per second.
4 Electric pulses drive miniature electric stepping motor. This converts electrical energy into mechanical power.
5 Electric stepping motor turns gears.
6 Gears sweep hands around the clockface to keep time.

In reality. this is what the inside of a quartz watch looks like.

1 Battery.
2 Electric stepping motor.
3 Microchip.
4 Circuit connects microchip to other components.
5 Quartz crystal oscillator.
6 Crown screw for setting time.
7 Gears turn hour, minute, and second hands at different speeds.
8 Tiny central shaft holds hands in place.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/quartzclockwatch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lotsa useful and fact information here.

easy for even non engineering background wis liao lo....
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 27 Jun 2014 03:26

kment wrote:So to say , battery quartz movement is prone to these type of malfunction cause by battery leaks , auto much more reliable and not so risky compared to quartz , consider when one invest thousands of dollars on a watch.
Thanks man , Good to know info on quartz movement issue like these
nothing is perfect to begin with.

auto can be svc over and over again, so long parts can be found, and no major shock suffered. initial cost of cos is higher when buying the watch

but the accuracy of general auto against general quartz is its downside.

quartz is much like a fuss free thing , take and go, how often can or do u need to change a battery?? once a year??

but a auto if stopped need to manually adjust before wearing again....

of cos being a watch forum, we all like a auto for watever reason we prefer
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 27 Jun 2014 09:15

Nice info put up on quartz phantom.

Said right, there will be folks who beg to differ about quartz being unreliable or inferior to mechanical.

I remember a fellow member swore off mechanical movements after parts cannot be found and repair costs went too high.

It's your choice eventually.

Shouted across the road.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 27 Jun 2014 09:22

phantom150 wrote:

not like this leh.

battery acid leaks, into circuit board, shorts live and negative, instantly killing components and the movement. thats all.

its like dropping ur HP into water, but in this case the "water" came from the battery.

watchmakers can clean up dried acid on battery contact points, and instantly movement comes alive, simply bcos the acid did not seep much or into any components inside the circuit board.the dried acid has become a insulator between battery and battery contact point, if you do not clean up, voltage or rather the electricity from the battery does not go inside the circuit to make the movement work.

its like some electronic stuff come with paper stuck in between the battery contact point to "stop" it from working untill end user decides to remove this insulator to let it start working again.

corrosion come very much after the above mention stuff. thus making ppl think corrosion kills the movement, which is not the initial cause that kills it leh.

in short change the battery asap when it stops.

in some case of expensive quartz watch like omega, just do a 1-2 yearly change even though watch is still ticking. some watch may still be ticking away, but acid has started to leaked already until it has leaked enuff to short some components.
Dun scare me leh? U mean quartz watch battery even when still got juice also might leak? I think the battery in my Hammie is around 4 years liao and the one in my SMP is around 2 years but both still ticking away..
I want to be a one watch guy!!