Seiko SPC133P "Retro"

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
balzebub71

Seiko SPC133P "Retro"

Post by balzebub71 » 31 Mar 2014 20:42

Don't see any one wearing this watch so thought I will share my thoughts on it.
A very retro looking watch with a busy dial, especially the black version which I bought.
Was looking for a cheap quartz with dual time function for travelling which I won't mind losing and I have lost a few in hotel rooms. Came across this model and the retro feel really sang out to me.
Basically a 7T86 quartz movement with a 5 year battery life, chronograph function, day, date, month, year perpetual calendar with a alarm dial that can double up as a primitive second time zone display and a 100m WR means it doesn't need to come off my wrist at all. Ticks all my boxes and at a little below $200, cheap enough that I won't feel upset if I lose it.

Reminds me of a Citizen Eco Drive calibre 8700 watch that was my travel beater for years which I eventually sold due to developing uncle eyesight. I feel the seiko is better as it's cheaper and has a bigger dial at around 44mm which makes it very legible even for my "uncle" eye sight and the styling is much better IMO.

Downside is too many highly polished services, which will mean it's going to be scratched up quickly. The croc print strap feels cheap, came with a flimsy pin buckle and not a deployment clasp, so I swapped it for a "dressier" rubber strap. Final gripe would be zero lume, none at all.

Pictures:
On comfy rubber strap

On stock croc print strap

Just an update after wearing this watch exclusively for the past 4 days which is something I don't do unless I travel...

The watch is keeping time to the dot, but then it's a quartz so that's to be expected. The chronograph works as advertised though I find the minutes/hour accumulator hard to read. The alarm is a biTch to set but works and is loud enough to wake me from sleep, but then I am a light sleeper, so I wouldn't advise anyone using it as your morning wake up alarm.

Sent from my Hongmi
Last edited by balzebub71 on 04 Apr 2014 08:02, edited 2 times in total.
I want to be a one watch guy!!
will.iam

Re: Seiko SPC133P

Post by will.iam » 01 Apr 2014 00:35

Very nice looking watch! where can I see it in real ? :)
站在十字路口
balzebub71

Re: Seiko SPC133P "Retro"

Post by balzebub71 » 01 Apr 2014 08:14

I think u can see it at bencoolen, I have also seen it at many city chain

Sent from my Hongmi
Trident

Post by Trident » 01 Apr 2014 20:14

You sure you want to be "one watch guy?" :)
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 03 Apr 2014 09:53

i've seen this watch n quite gian the white dialed one...but i do not understand how the functions work, esp how to show the day date part..

qns:
what is CHR? (along wif the days of the week)

I've seen this watch in the steel and i do not understand how is the date(day/month) function showed? should be tat red crescent right? but it is always downwards pointing.

i like this watch cos it is perpetual, meaning do not need to adjust dates on months with 30 days?
balzebub71

Re: Seiko SPC133P "Retro"

Post by balzebub71 » 03 Apr 2014 21:09

kuang89 wrote:i've seen this watch n quite gian the white dialed one...but i do not understand how the functions work, esp how to show the day date part..

qns:
what is CHR? (along wif the days of the week)

I've seen this watch in the steel and i do not understand how is the date(day/month) function showed? should be tat red crescent right? but it is always downwards pointing.

i like this watch cos it is perpetual, meaning do not need to adjust dates on months with 30 days?
The white one is nice with blue color hands. I chose the black one as it wears smaller and is less dressy which makes it more versatile for me.

CHR stands for chronograph model. The watch has two modes, time display and chronograph.

The large second hand points to the date with the crescent moon end and the day is indicated by the pointer at the 12 o'clock sundial. You need to press the top Chrono pusher and the large second hand will move to indicate month, press again to indicate year and then revert to date.

Yup it's a perpetual calendar, so no need to adjust the date at all....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 08 Apr 2014 10:08

oh, ok la..compared to watches 15x the price, u have to work abit to get the info...