Marine Master 300

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
Cosmograph

Marine Master 300

Post by Cosmograph » 28 Mar 2012 21:26

Hi senior bros here,

Just wanted to check about the above mentioned watch on your thoughts especially if you have one. For noobs like myself what advice would you give

1) reasonable price to pay for one New vs Preowned
2) has there ever been a need to service? Where would you recommend bringing this?
3) when intending to buy, what are some of the things to look for if one is able to inspect the physical piece? Serial numbers? Looking at the dial make etc? Compared to sites that sell them?
4) I read the crown is no different from a sumo? So for a high end using an 8L35 movement, that is a so called weakness or low point of the watch? True? Any others?

Sorry if there are a lot of questions but searched this forum and many others and have read the famous comparison between Rolex subs & also the review done in 2005/06 & of course the one done by Fellow Seiko expert yeoman. Would like to seek opinions/thoughts. Cheers
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Stupidbear

Re: Marine Master 300

Post by Stupidbear » 28 Mar 2012 22:35

Got it and not flipping it. :D
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 28 Mar 2012 23:00

Stupidbear wrote:Got it and not flipping it. :D
Ok, so what are your thoughts since having it?
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 28 Mar 2012 23:24

I can oni say
GOOD!!!

Same lik bro stupidbear...got it n not flippin it...:)

Put it SBS with a sub n dun look at the word ROLEX n SEIKO
U wil hav the ans...:)
zhwong

Post by zhwong » 28 Mar 2012 23:42

Well i've bought 2 in the past year alone, the first was a preowned, loved it so much tt i sold it just so I could get a brand spanking new one. As for servicing, TS will obviously cost a bomb, but then K2 will be ur saving grace, he will do it for a fraction of the price. If I were you just look for shaggy, his price is probably the most competitve, and as for weaknesses, well its a lil heavy if u have puny wrist like me, but you will get used to it.

Here's mine :D

big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 28 Mar 2012 23:58

You sure hv a lot of qns! :lol:
But it's ok, I was exactly the same 3years ago. I picked up the mm300 late 2011.
In 3 yrs I did a lot of reading (actually more like drooling over pics of the mm300).
But no matter how much reading u do, u will only know the quality one u pick one up in your hands. Words and pics can't describe it seriously.

Like you, when i manage to scrape up enough funds, I was deciding between New vs Preowned.
Preowned prices are definitely more affordable, as this piece is not so affordable to me.
But for me personally, I wanted this as a keeper, so it made more sense for me to purchase new.

The crown was never an issue to me. To be honest, this watch has been in production much longer than the sumo. SO in actual fact, it is more correct to say that the sumo is using a similar crown to the mm300.

Some might complain that at this price range it shld hv a sapphire xtal. But that didn't really bother me. Seiko developed this watch from the ground up and I am sure they knew what they were doing. I hv several Seikos and all using the patented Hardlex xtal and I hv no issues so far.

The finishing on the dial and hands are excellent. The creamy lume is fantastic touch - giving it that vintage feel IMHO. The bezel feels really nice to turn and the bezel insert looks very different than in photos. The case is quite thick and sits high on the wrist, but I find it quite balanced at 42mm when wearing it.

Some things I always look out for when buying any dive watch:
1. Hands alignment
2. Bezel alignment to 12hr marker
3. Even lume (not so critical, as long as its not very uneven)
4. Crown screws down

My advice, find a piece to molest and be the judge yourself.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Mar 2012 00:01

Here's mine
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 29 Mar 2012 00:09

Like they all said, you need to hold it, feel it, wear it...

Don't really want to repeat myself (just being lazy here).

Here's my review: http://jiehong.org/blog/2010/07/02/seik ... aster-300/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 29 Mar 2012 00:12

Poison time... :evil:
LB1981

Marine Master 300

Post by LB1981 » 29 Mar 2012 00:23

Another poison... U will nt regret buying it.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 29 Mar 2012 10:23

Go for it man, for the price one of the best all-rounder.

Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 Mar 2012 10:49

big-e-294 wrote:You sure hv a lot of qns! :lol:
But it's ok, I was exactly the same 3years ago. I picked up the mm300 late 2011.
In 3 yrs I did a lot of reading (actually more like drooling over pics of the mm300).
But no matter how much reading u do, u will only know the quality one u pick one up in your hands. Words and pics can't describe it seriously.

Like you, when i manage to scrape up enough funds, I was deciding between New vs Preowned.
Preowned prices are definitely more affordable, as this piece is not so affordable to me.
But for me personally, I wanted this as a keeper, so it made more sense for me to purchase new.

The crown was never an issue to me. To be honest, this watch has been in production much longer than the sumo. SO in actual fact, it is more correct to say that the sumo is using a similar crown to the mm300.

Some might complain that at this price range it shld hv a sapphire xtal. But that didn't really bother me. Seiko developed this watch from the ground up and I am sure they knew what they were doing. I hv several Seikos and all using the patented Hardlex xtal and I hv no issues so far.

The finishing on the dial and hands are excellent. The creamy lume is fantastic touch - giving it that vintage feel IMHO. The bezel feels really nice to turn and the bezel insert looks very different than in photos. The case is quite thick and sits high on the wrist, but I find it quite balanced at 42mm when wearing it.

1. Hands alignment
4. Crown screws down

Thanks for taking the time to review my many questions and sharing a heartfelt view, Bro Big-E.

Had the chance to check one out not too long ago but after taking some time to decide the piece was snapped up. But there will always be another piece another day.

Thank u all bros for sharing that you are not selling & have no intention to! ;)

Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 Mar 2012 10:51

Astro2212 wrote:I can oni say
GOOD!!!

Same lik bro stupidbear...got it n not flippin it...:)

Put it SBS with a sub n dun look at the word ROLEX n SEIKO
U wil hav the ans...:)
Wah bro Astro, next to 2 subs this is macham pocket change for someone like you la!

tzetze

Post by tzetze » 29 Mar 2012 11:26

ebay selling US$2000++ if u wanna know the price...

if u wan sapphire crystal and titanium bracelet, y not consider the spring drive version?
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 Mar 2012 13:08

tzetze wrote:ebay selling US$2000++ if u wanna know the price...

if u wan sapphire crystal and titanium bracelet, y not consider the spring drive version?
that's more than double the price, even though its a 600M, sounds extremely high. I think the hardlex does not have any issues, more to do with consumers not happy that its not sapphire. Titanium bracelet don't need for common ppl like me... :D

roo7
IT Superman

Marine Master 300

Post by roo7 » 29 Mar 2012 13:17

You can refer to the usual sales forums for brand new, like they mentioned shaggy has the best offering, 2.6 or 2.8.

As for pre-owned, it's around 2-2.4 depending on condition ? Just check all the past sales thread for reference :)

Sent from my iPhone
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Mar 2012 14:09

Cosmograph wrote:
big-e-294 wrote:You sure hv a lot of qns! :lol:

1. Hands alignment
4. Crown screws down

Thanks for taking the time to review my many questions and sharing a heartfelt view, Bro Big-E.

Had the chance to check one out not too long ago but after taking some time to decide the piece was snapped up. But there will always be another piece another day.

Thank u all bros for sharing that you are not selling & have no intention to! ;)
Hardlex is quite tough.
I've worn my old SKX to body surf when I went back to Aust. Being thrown and dumped by the waves against sandy beaches didn't leave a mark on the xtal.

The watch eventually will get scratched when u wear it. That's reality.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 29 Mar 2012 14:17

Couldn't agree more.
matt156c

Post by matt156c » 30 Mar 2012 18:31

Actually I am the odd one here :o Flip mine as I like my Sammy more then the mm.
This is one watch that I can buy later if I want one again. Not the Sammy.

But I must say, it's one he'll of a watch.
mariod

Post by mariod » 31 Mar 2012 18:44

I bought mine used one year ago but still within warranty and due to the fact that this was an EU deal with no tax to pay I couldn't be any happier :D The mm300 is heavy, the clasp and the bezel scratch easily but it is a VERY SEXY dive watch and looks great on any kind of bracelet/strap imho :mrgreen:

ImageImage

...just my 2ct of course... ;)
Rgds.
Mario