japan made/other country made seiko, difference/advantages

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
jasonpkt

japan made/other country made seiko, difference/advantages

Post by jasonpkt » 12 Jul 2013 08:43

Hi all

Like to know more of Seiko watches which printed " made in Japan" and how they are different with those non Japan made :?: . Is it just the label only or they really have some mechanical differences etc. Pls pour in your opinions. Thks. :D
Solanum88

Re: japan made/other country made seiko, difference/advantag

Post by Solanum88 » 12 Jul 2013 09:26

No diff between J and K variants if that is what you are asking, they are all made by similar machines in different locations.

Post by 004 » 12 Jul 2013 11:01

No difference , except for example SKX007J to SKX007K the dial mentions 21 jewels on the J & the K version doesnt .
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 12 Jul 2013 11:19

MIKER wrote:No difference , except for example SKX007J to SKX007K the dial mentions 21 jewels on the J & the K version doesnt .
So you pay more for less?

007j cost more but has less ink.

Sent from The Force
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 12 Jul 2013 11:56

Actually, while I agree that there's no mechanical difference, especially where movements are concerned, I've observed even among current models instances where the QC seems better for made in japan versions.

Sent from my Nortel 1822
jasonpkt

Post by jasonpkt » 12 Jul 2013 12:02

Usually Japan made cost more so if they are 90% same will u pay more to get JP set?
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 12 Jul 2013 12:33

Again I don't think made in Japan universally costs more. The sardine is a useful model to illustrate the points about QC and price.

Sent from my Nortel 1822
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 12 Jul 2013 13:51

I wont pay the premium for a jap set cause I tend to flip my watches and buyers don't really care if yours is K or J when you are selling
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 12 Jul 2013 17:29

Just to muddy the waters even more, I have seen mij pieces with different language combos for day of the week. What I have seen are roman/english and arabic/english. Any differemces in these?
Personally I buy what I like. I do feel mij pieces are better made. Perhaps it is just a perception but when it comes to buying items of fancy and not of need ie food, shelter etc, perception is everything is it not?
Cheers.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 12 Jul 2013 17:36

Unless they tell time differently, they are same to me.

sent from the DARK side
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 12 Jul 2013 19:02

The made in Japan sardines seem to have aligned chapter rings while the K versions don't. Also, at least in my case, I paid a lot more for the thing sia K version than the parallel import J version. In my case J had perfect alignment and was cheaper (because it is PI).

Sent from my Nortel 1822
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 12 Jul 2013 20:37

KKFA wrote:Just to muddy the waters even more, I have seen mij pieces with different language combos for day of the week. What I have seen are roman/english and arabic/english. Any differemces in these?
Personally I buy what I like. I do feel mij pieces are better made. Perhaps it is just a perception but when it comes to buying items of fancy and not of need ie food, shelter etc, perception is everything is it not?
Cheers.
The different day languages depends on where it is exported to.
In Singapore we are spoilt for choice in the fact that we get to enjoy both.

Sent from The Force
Piano_Guy

Post by Piano_Guy » 13 Jul 2013 11:57

I would prefer the J version
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 13 Jul 2013 14:15

Parts and components wise... it's all the same. The major difference you get will perhaps falls on the Quality Control and assembly workmanship.
MIJs are favored among the fellow here, because of their workmanship compare to those of Ks. Of course, the price one may sacrifice is the warranty... most of the Js you can find in local market, are parallel imports without warranty or with in-house warranty offered by the seller.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 14 Jul 2013 15:41

The question is why are non-JDM 'Made in Japan' watches not offered by TS, even when such labeling seems to command a premium (for whatever reason)? Instead, most, if not all, seem to feature Arabic / English dials? I believe the same phenomenon is seen in at least America and Europe too.

You have to remember that labeling laws will differ between countries of sale, and labeling something MIJ for one market may not meet the requirements in another market.

Are those (non-JDM) MIJ's being made in a manner which would not allow it to meet the Singaporean / USA / Europe requirements for labeling such watches made in Japan?And if they are, why aren't they being offered directly by the AD, where they could charge slightly more (and more than on the grey market) for such MIJ products, with warranty?

It's all conjecture on my part, but until I can think of another reasonable explanation for the above, I'll continue to believe that the labeling requirements in the countries where these watches are meant to be sold are not as stringent as those for Singapore / USA / Europe.

Take it for what you will...

Oh, and the JDM MIJ's are on a different level altogether... but are they better (read: pricier) because they're made in Japan, or are they made in Japan because they're pricier? ;)
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 14 Jul 2013 16:30

CoolieND wrote:The question is why are non-JDM 'Made in Japan' watches not offered by TS, even when such labeling seems to command a premium (for whatever reason)? Instead, most, if not all, seem to feature Arabic / English dials? I believe the same phenomenon is seen in at least America and Europe too.

You have to remember that labeling laws will differ between countries of sale, and labeling something MIJ for one market may not meet the requirements in another market.

Are those (non-JDM) MIJ's being made in a manner which would not allow it to meet the Singaporean / USA / Europe requirements for labeling such watches made in Japan?And if they are, why aren't they being offered directly by the AD, where they could charge slightly more (and more than on the grey market) for such MIJ products, with warranty?

It's all conjecture on my part, but until I can think of another reasonable explanation for the above, I'll continue to believe that the labeling requirements in the countries where these watches are meant to be sold are not as stringent as those for Singapore / USA / Europe.

Take it for what you will...

Oh, and the JDM MIJ's are on a different level altogether... but are they better (read: pricier) because they're made in Japan, or are they made in Japan because they're pricier? ;)
Bro....
Very long.
Can summarize?
Like MIJ=buy
Or non MIJ= no buy
Something like that....
Ha ha ha

sent from the DARK side
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 14 Jul 2013 16:39

ivan wrote: Bro....
Very long.
Can summarize?
TUNA = Die Die Must Buy? ;)

Essentially:
"Made in Japan" label = X% made in Japan
X% = Depends on country
Question: Can X% be 0 in any country (if made by Japanese company)?
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 14 Jul 2013 16:42

CoolieND wrote:
ivan wrote: Bro....
Very long.
Can summarize?
Like MIJ=buy
Or non MIJ= no buy
Something like that....
Ha ha ha

sent from the DARK side
TUNA = Die Die Must Buy? ;)
Tuna = now selective buy only. :lol:

sent from the DARK side
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 14 Jul 2013 18:06

CoolieND wrote: It's all conjecture on my part

There you go, summarized :grin:

Cooliend I'm just being flippant, can't help noticing your caveat tucked neatly in the centre of the wall :grin::grin::grin:

Sent from my Nokia 8810
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 14 Jul 2013 18:13

herzausstahl wrote:There you go, summarized :grin:

Cooliend I'm just being flippant, can't help noticing your caveat tucked neatly in the centre of the wall :grin::grin::grin:

Sent from my Nokia 8810
No worries. :P Course, until someone can answer why TS cannot bring in or sell non-JDM MIJ models... can't think of any better reason. :?

Care to theorize with me? ;)
Last edited by CoolieND on 14 Jul 2013 18:13, edited 1 time in total.