mm300 regulation recommended?

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
star77

mm300 regulation recommended?

Post by star77 » 23 Apr 2015 08:29

My new 2 weeks old mm300 is running about +13 secs per day.
would it be recommended to have it regulated or leave it alone?

Does TS do regulation or would it be better to bring to K2?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys.
splee

Re: mm300 regulation recommended?

Post by splee » 23 Apr 2015 09:16

I am having the same problem on my MM300. Would be good to know if it's necessary to regulate it or leave it alone. Thanks guys.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 23 Apr 2015 17:42

+13s per day is within the official daily variance for the 8L35 movement.

I would get it regulated, but then I am obsessed with accuracy and would not accept +13s per day from a watch in this price range.

I asked before and K2 did not want to do it. Maybe I not Yan Dao enough, so u can always call and ask Mr. Goh?Thong Sia will "try" to do it but made no promises of success.

Hence in my case I sold off my MM300..
I want to be a one watch guy!!
star77

Post by star77 » 23 Apr 2015 17:58

balzebub71 wrote:+13s per day is within the official daily variance for the 8L35 movement.

I would get it regulated, but then I am obsessed with accuracy and would not accept +13s per day from a watch in this price range.

I asked before and K2 did not want to do it. Maybe I not Yan Dao enough, so u can always call and ask Mr. Goh?Thong Sia will "try" to do it but made no promises of success.

any idea why K2 doesnt want to do it?
I brought a new sumo down to him previously to regulate as it was running way way too fast, something like 2 mins per day.. and he doesn't want to do it too... didn't tell me why...
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 24 Apr 2015 20:59

star77 wrote:
balzebub71 wrote:+13s per day is within the official daily variance for the 8L35 movement.

I brought a new sumo down to him previously to regulate as it was running way way too fast, something like 2 mins per day.. and he doesn't want to do it too... didn't tell me why...
That you will need to ask Mr. Goh himself.:)
But I understand that regulation is tedious and time consuming. Also getting into the movement of a MM300 is also tricky. So maybe not much profit in doing it labour and cost wise.
Unless you are very anal about accuracy, just enjoy the watch. In any case, you may want to let it run for another couple of months before deciding.
Mine runs at about -6s. But it achieved that only after 3 months of constant motion and keeping it mostly fully wound.
Everyone has his or her own take on this hobby of ours. So if accuracy is your thing then go for it by all means.
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 25 Apr 2015 21:55

star77 wrote:

Think I mentioned b4.
Regulate if movement in good condition may take 10 to 20 mins on a average scale movement.

However if mechanical condition is poor. Regulate will work maybe for a few days b4 it goes out.

So in this case how much should he charge? If timing goes out soon, some ppl will end up blaming him as expected.
Its a no win situation for him.
Might as well put his efforts on a full service which will make him money n upkeep his reputation.

Again, this is my views after several conversation with him..
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 25 Apr 2015 23:45

N my frd is stil enjoying ur ex til now.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 26 Apr 2015 12:49

Astro2212 wrote:

N my frd is stil enjoying ur ex til now.
Ha ha that's good.
I want to be a one watch guy!!
maxxevv

Post by maxxevv » 28 Apr 2015 13:43

Keep the watch running for at least 1~2 months continuously.
The mechanism within will "break in" and settle into a more stable rhythm, time keeping error. If its still not good enough for you then, maybe you should get it regulated.

Personal experience is that regulation, if done properly, on a movement of unknown history, can take a few hours to a few days.

You need to spend at least 5~10 mins to read off and record the positional variances and errors in each of the 6 positions ( at least 3~4 ) first as most movements will take a bit of time to settle into a rhythm after being turned into a certain position. A fair bit of time already. ( 15~60 mins)

Then you need to open up the case and adjust/regulate the watch for the best timing based on the positional variance of the positions used. Depending on watch, it can take 5 mins or 50mins.

After which you need to check for the positional variance of the watch for the positions used to regulate again. That again can take a fair bit of time.

If you want to do a good job, then it would be good to put the watch on a winder than that cycle through most of the positions and let the watch "settle" for a few days and check again if the regulation has been stable and effective. If alls good, it ends there. If not, it would have to be regulated again and the process repeated !

Even for the proficient watchmaker, I would think it takes at least 2~3 hours of dedicated time to do a good and proper job of it.

Not a very thankful task in my opinion unless he can charge good money for the manhours put into it.