how do you guys rotate all your mechanical watches?

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
star77

how do you guys rotate all your mechanical watches?

Post by star77 » 04 May 2015 20:31

I see that many of you guys have more than 2 mechanical watches.
How do you guys rotate wrist time between them?

Do you have them on winder?
Or just set the time whenever you want to wear them?

I am considering if winder is useful to keep the watches ready for use as I do not know if it is a good idea to keep unscrewing every other day to set the time, will it increases the damage to the screw thread with this pattern of use?

Thanks for any sharing.
tribe

Re: how do you guys rotate all your mechanical watches?

Post by tribe » 04 May 2015 20:48

I usually will try to match against the clothes for the day. so at work, shirt pants usually wear the dressier blue spark perhaps; for weekend, will be the skx009. and if going out for sports... casio! although at time, i am lazy and end up wearing the skx009 the whole week.

i do not own a winder, just pick up the watch, set the time, shake it a bit and off i go. don't think the screwthreads will strip that easily... there are plenty of vintage watches that seems to be working still fine.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 04 May 2015 20:54

I like to believe that if the watches don't move all the time, it will reduce on wear and tear. So I leave my watches "dead" and wake them up when I want to wear them.
Trident

Post by Trident » 04 May 2015 21:03

I let mine "sleep" when not in rotation, usually I leave the crown unscrewed when not in use.
Zico

Post by Zico » 04 May 2015 22:06

Hi trident, how do u prevent dust from getting into the movement?
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 04 May 2015 22:13

Trident wrote:I let mine "sleep" when not in rotation, usually I leave the crown unscrewed when not in use.
saw you mentioned before, "unscrewed" crown when not in use, won't dust get into the watch somehow?
Trident

Post by Trident » 05 May 2015 09:20

Zico wrote:Hi trident, how do u prevent dust from getting into the movement?
When not in use they are usually kept in watch box.
yrh0413

Post by yrh0413 » 05 May 2015 12:12

I only have 2 watches. a normal Seiko and a Grand.

GS goes on the wrist whenever I am in formal office attire w/ long sleeves. I dislike exposing my GS bracelet to my office desk and my laptop.
On weekends and casual Fridays, I wear my normal Seiko which already have plenty of scars and wound on the clasp.

The one not on my wrist goes into the watch winder. I personally dislike winding up a watch every morning as very leceh to set the time and date. Moreover my normal Seiko does not have a PR indicator, before I got my winder sometimes the watch just stops working in the evening.
jtfoo

Post by jtfoo » 05 May 2015 13:45

Since mechanical are so inaccurate, I have to adjust the time everytime I wear them. No point keeping it on a winder, just t be ready to use. Mine mostly are all stop running in a box.
yrh0413

Post by yrh0413 » 06 May 2015 09:37

jtfoo wrote:Since mechanical are so inaccurate, I have to adjust the time everytime I wear them. No point keeping it on a winder, just t be ready to use. Mine mostly are all stop running in a box.
depends on how accurate you want them to be, some people does not need accuracy down to the exact second. :lol:
My 4R15 tends to lose 5 mins every 2 week, but my Spring Drive is accurate so far.

Post by 004 » 06 May 2015 11:42

I let my watches sleep when not in use, then wake them up when needed.
splee

Post by splee » 06 May 2015 12:27

I don't have a watch winder so I normally just left my watch in sleep mode and only wakes it when I am going to wear it for the day. I don't have any particular rotation order for each watch. It really depends on the occasion and also my mood for the day. Of course there's watches that's going to be my favorites and get most of my wrist time and some don't get much wrist time at all in a month. I pick the watch that I like and wear it the way that I want. That's me.
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 09 May 2015 10:53

I'll take 3 of the watches from the box on Sunday night, and rotate them for the next 7 days. Then I'll take my next three on the following Sunday night and so on. Loving this (vicious) cycle.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 09 May 2015 14:00

When one's collection grows bigger and bigger... it's really hard and challenging to distribute balance love to all watches. In recent months when i took up evening activities, i felt that...

Getting older, personal taste in the looks of the watches getting more and more... softer. Getting more into dress watches, than large and macho diving pieces. However, my daily evening time will mostly in the pool, hence dress piece will not be appropriate to be brought along from the beginning of the day till nite.
To deal with these dilemma, i set a theme every workweek and every weekend. One whole week i could be with the Monsters, another could be with the shrouded divers, and SANDOZ in following week. The weekends will be with dress pieces, with theme as well...

So depending on your activities. If your job requires you to be away from home from the morning till dawn and your evening activities is rough, you may need to put on something that's a little tough nut to crack. But if you're desk bound, at nite attending classes... dress pieces could be much suitable for you... or those sporty ones for good all rounders.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
fireal

Post by fireal » 24 May 2015 21:11

Use winder for what winding it yourself is part of the enjoyment :geek::geek:
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 25 May 2015 20:42

fireal wrote:Use winder for what winding it yourself is part of the enjoyment :geek::geek:
Haha for those with deep pockets and perpetual calendars I think winders may be required.

Lucky for me I have neither...pockets nor perpetual. .hahaha.

Happy winding.
r0_ger

Post by r0_ger » 31 May 2015 22:07

I will rotate those that I usually wear in my 4+6 winder. Lazy to adjust the time and date every time I wear a different watch. Those seldom on wrist are allowed to "rest" in peace.
radenferdy

Post by radenferdy » 02 Sep 2015 16:48

I follow the crowd, leave them dead in watch box. Knowing inaccuracy of mechanical watches, when OCD kicks in, I still need to match the time down to the seconds whenever I intend of using them. This is why I prefer Seikos with hacking function. And due to this reason too, my next Seiko would be 9F :)
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 03 Sep 2015 06:42

I put them on 2 winders...especially those with screw down crowns. For watches that I don't wear often I will set the time fast or slow by up to 2 mins so by the time I do get around to wearing them, the time is almost spot on.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 11 Sep 2015 09:16

Whatever it is that I fancy on that day or occasion, I will wear. No particular order on rotation for me. But I will wind my manual winding watches every morning. Habit I suppose.

Sent from my SM-A300G using Tapatalk