Watch regulation workshop

General chit chat and off topics
nightwatchman

Re: Watch regulation workshop

Post by nightwatchman » 13 Nov 2013 21:20

david.tan wrote:you were right about tools to be use on watch, it must be high quality and precisely fit in order not to damage the watch

seems like you have good lubang to intro us to get those tools ? :)
I don't sell watch tools but I can guide all of you to which necessary tools to have. Sometimes, I just don't understand why people are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a painting but refuse to spend a good few dollars to buy a proper, solid hook to secure the artwork.

Using the wrong tools to work on a watch is like using a wall nail to hang the Mona Lisa painting.
bish

Post by bish » 13 Nov 2013 21:27

Count me in bro!!! :)

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 13 Nov 2013 21:36

The most "damaging" watch tool is probably the watch case opener. Even professionals misuse it. Not many of us can afford a table-top case opener, which in my opinion, is the best.

A decent case opener will set you back at least a hundred dollars but it can still damage the watch case if not careful.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 13 Nov 2013 22:12

Count me in. Never been very hands on but always keen to learn. Eyes going liao hands shakey. But spirit still strong.

Hopefully timing can fit schedule.

Appreciate the offer. Thanks.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 13 Nov 2013 23:22

KKFA wrote:Count me in. Never been very hands on but always keen to learn. Eyes going liao hands shakey. But spirit still strong.

Hopefully timing can fit schedule.

Appreciate the offer. Thanks.
I am not so young myself either. In the 40s liao. My eyes also not as good as they used to be.

By the way folks, I think I shall look for a small classroom or meeting room at a community centre.
Diospada

Post by Diospada » 14 Nov 2013 00:52

I'm in as well!

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk now Free
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 14 Nov 2013 06:14

1) big-e-294(tbc date)
2) zeikphur
3) bish
4) KKFA
5) diospada
6) lunarin79(tbc date)
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 14 Nov 2013 07:41

Anybody knows the management of a CC or RC so that we can use their classroom/meeting room? For a Saturday evening. Just 2 hours will do.

Maybe I should outline the topics we will be covering:

1. Introduction to watch regulation and types of watch tool
2. How to regulate a watch without a timing machine - (I think most people already know what to do but I will cover it anyway)
3. Things to look out for when opening a watch case
4. Removing the movement from the watch case
5. Replacing the rubber gasket and waterproofing
6. Cleaning and oiling - watch internal
7. Care and maintenance - watch external
8. Q and A

My intention is NOT to go deep into the mechanical aspects of a watch. This requires a trained horologist, such as Mr Wong of JW and the Goh brothers. If a watch problem is too complex, you will still have to go to them. I will do the same. Please don't be stingy.
lunarin79 wrote:1) big-e-294(tbc date)
2) zeikphur
3) bish
4) KKFA
5) diospada
6) lunarin79(tbc date)
Let's keep the attendance at 8 persons. Smaller group easier to find space and people will learn more.
Last edited by nightwatchman on 14 Nov 2013 15:28, edited 3 times in total.
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 14 Nov 2013 08:32

lunarin79 wrote:1) big-e-294(tbc date)
2) zeikphur
3) bish
4) KKFA
5) diospada
6) lunarin79(tbc date)

Count me in too :D
softup

Post by softup » 14 Nov 2013 09:15

Update:

1) big-e-294(tbc date)
2) zeikphur
3) bish
4) KKFA
5) diospada
6) lunarin79(tbc date)
7) softup
8) Pokefan
david.tan

Post by david.tan » 14 Nov 2013 10:53

Update:

1) big-e-294(tbc date)
2) zeikphur
3) bish
4) KKFA
5) diospada
6) lunarin79(tbc date)
7) softup
8) Pokefan
9) David
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 14 Nov 2013 13:51

10) Evirobie.

Sent by the yellow minions.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 14 Nov 2013 15:26

If I cannot find a suitable location, I may have to drop the idea. No point keep adding to the name list when we have no place to do the workshop.
samloi

Post by samloi » 14 Nov 2013 16:51

Can I join in? I have a skx007, just nice might need to calibrate
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 14 Nov 2013 17:19

samloi wrote:Can I join in? I have a skx007, just nice might need to calibrate
I am still looking around for a suitable location. Other than public libraries, it seems like a quiet, brightly-lit and free public place is very rare in Singapore now.
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 14 Nov 2013 17:32

The public bookings for Classrooms in CCs seems to be quite ex.

The only 1 i found more decent would be the Multi-Purpose room in Queenstown Library.
10 pax seating enclosed room with soundproofing. The conference table should have enough space for us to work on the topics.
Its $20/hr and $54 for 3, avaliable from 9am - 830pm for Sat.
I'm sure the bros interested wouldn't mind spliting the cost for the room to make this happen.

That being said, you mentioned earlier of not wanting public libraries.
So, perhaps some bros here can hook us up with a better(and free) place to go..... :roll:
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 14 Nov 2013 18:51

Pokefan wrote:That being said, you mentioned earlier of not wanting public libraries.
So, perhaps some bros here can hook us up with a better(and free) place to go..... :roll:
I am okay with public libraries as long as we can talk loudly. I don't want people to complain and we kenna chase out of the place. By the way, public libraries are closed on Saturday evenings and Sundays.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 15 Nov 2013 00:42

nightwatchman wrote:
Pokefan wrote:That being said, you mentioned earlier of not wanting public libraries.
I am okay with public libraries as long as we can talk loudly. I don't want people to complain and we kenna chase out of the place. By the way, public libraries are closed on Saturday evenings and Sundays.
I am game to share the cost. I totally understand what you mean by public library. The room suggested by bro pokefan should be workable since ot is sound proof.
Otyer thing we may need to consider is whether the rules allow for such hands on work shops. If they do, then I say game on.
Btw I believe some libraries do open late and on weekends nowadays.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Nov 2013 07:39

Here are operating hours of National Library at Victoria Street:

Mon-Sun: 8.00am - 9.00pm
Closed at 5.00pm on eves of Christmas, New Year
and Chinese New Year
Closed on Public Holidays

In this case, we may do a Saturday session from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. I am not so sure about the room rates. In December, these rooms could be vacant as it is school holidays.

Date-wise, we can fix either on December 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th. I prefer Saturday evening because Sundays are my family days.

Can somebody volunteer himself to be in-charge of the room? Inquire if we can talk with reasonable volume inside these rooms. Please don't mention that we are conducting a workshop (usually workshop means profit-making to them). Just say we are having a group discussion.
Last edited by nightwatchman on 15 Nov 2013 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 15 Nov 2013 10:05

I am good to go on all dates except 21st.
Since now we havea probable space, suggest we get the date line up first... no?