Photography

General chit chat and off topics
TheChef

Re: Photography

Post by TheChef » 21 Nov 2014 20:12

ckw wrote:
zeikphur wrote:Nice contrast.
Probably a good Christmas present for myself soon lol
olympus now have cash back promo, omd em10 with 14-42 kit lens for jus above S$900 and 25mm f1.8 for around S$340...can give it a try...(disclaimer: i am not related to olympus in any way except as an end user. :lol: )
Olympus is a great choice. My photography kakis said so.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 21 Nov 2014 22:30

Olympus colours are gorgeous and I love the skin tone it produces.
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 22 Nov 2014 14:01

The jpegs out from camera are quite punchy.
Wade

Post by Wade » 24 Nov 2014 16:36

Just wondering, if I attach a wide angle lens on my D5200 (crop sensor); can I achieve a full frame picture?
A man age doesn't matter; it's the man heart... think positive & good things will come along the way...
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 24 Nov 2014 17:51

Wade wrote:Just wondering, if I attach a wide angle lens on my D5200 (crop sensor); can I achieve a full frame picture?
Which ever lens you attached to a crop sensor camera body, the angle of view will be narrower than a full frame sensor cam unless you use the metabones adapter....can't remember what is the name of the product and it may not have one for Nikon mount, for Sony if I'm not wrong.

Edit: have a look at this vidoeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVOhac0FQkw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wade

Post by Wade » 24 Nov 2014 22:26

Thk chriscentro bro.
I google for Metabones adapter and notice that there have it for Nikon but not sure whether can fix on D5200 F mount?

http://www.metabones.com/products/?c=new&p=2&s=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5200/spec.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A man age doesn't matter; it's the man heart... think positive & good things will come along the way...
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 25 Nov 2014 10:38

To Wade:

no point fiddling over the things that you wan to buy. just learn to shoot first with watever that you have. once you have feel that watever equipment you have cannot achieve the shots that you wan, then you buy. I have seen too many beginners keep on buying stuff that they dont need or worse, have no idea on how to use. there's quite alot of experts here i believe can answer ur questions on achieving different shooting styles.

just my 2 cents.
ckw

Post by ckw » 25 Nov 2014 11:04

hisokaka wrote:To Wade:

no point fiddling over the things that you wan to buy. just learn to shoot first with watever that you have. once you have feel that watever equipment you have cannot achieve the shots that you wan, then you buy. I have seen too many beginners keep on buying stuff that they dont need or worse, have no idea on how to use. there's quite alot of experts here i believe can answer ur questions on achieving different shooting styles.

just my 2 cents.
totally agreed, was using the kit lens on my EM10 for 2 months until recently when got the 25mm.

had a friend asked me what other lens to buy when getting the EM10, as she was intended to buy everything one shot. just told her to use the kit lens first and only get additional lens when she has an idea what she likes to shoot, as there's no one size fits all and everyone have different affinity to the kind of shots they like, eg. landscape. street, architecture portrait, bokeh...etc...

i believe its more important to train the eye with limited resources, which would lead to greater creativity.
Wade

Post by Wade » 25 Nov 2014 11:48

To hisokaka & ckw,

agreed with your comment and I'm contented with my current D5200 & Nikon 35mm f/1.8.
I use it whenever I on holiday trip for portrait & landscape shots; just love the DOF...:)
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 25 Nov 2014 14:10

Wade wrote:To hisokaka & ckw,

agreed with your comment and I'm contented with my current D5200 & Nikon 35mm f/1.8.
I use it whenever I on holiday trip for portrait & landscape shots; just love the DOF...:)
thats an excellent choice (35mm f1.8) for holiday shots. For APS-C format, it becomes 50mm FOV which is the normal view. For landscape, u can try to take a few shots and stitch them together. for portrait, its abit wide but still doable. its a perfect street shooting lens imo.
Wade

Post by Wade » 25 Nov 2014 14:40

hisokaka wrote:
Wade wrote:To hisokaka & ckw,

thats an excellent choice (35mm f1.8) for holiday shots. For APS-C format, it becomes 50mm FOV which is the normal view. For landscape, u can try to take a few shots and stitch them together. for portrait, its abit wide but still doable. its a perfect street shooting lens imo.
I love the 35mm lens for the speed and can't stand the kit lens as it sllooowwww
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 25 Nov 2014 16:19

Wade wrote:
hisokaka wrote:
I love the 35mm lens for the speed and can't stand the kit lens as it sllooowwww
u referring to aperture i assume? coz the af speed is slow haha

yes, the 35mm is a cheap but extremely good lens. i even cheated and use it on full frame with minimal vignette

Wade

Post by Wade » 25 Nov 2014 16:34

hisokaka wrote:
Wade wrote: I love the 35mm lens for the speed and can't stand the kit lens as it sllooowwww
u referring to aperture i assume? coz the af speed is slow haha
yes, the 35mm is a cheap but extremely good lens. i even cheated and use it on full frame with minimal vignette

Which f stop are u using for both photos?
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 25 Nov 2014 17:30

Wade wrote:
hisokaka wrote: u referring to aperture i assume? coz the af speed is slow haha

1.8 on fullframe
Wade

Post by Wade » 25 Nov 2014 17:39

hisokaka wrote:
Wade wrote:
1.8 on fullframe
I think D5200 crop sensor can't achieve this but I think I need to move backward to have achieve your photo.
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 26 Nov 2014 10:56

Wade wrote:
hisokaka wrote:
1.8 on fullframe
I think D5200 crop sensor can't achieve this but I think I need to move backward to have achieve your photo.
u mean the dof and fov? yes, there is no way to achieve the same unless u are mount a 23mm 1.2 on aps-c but thats pointless. u should be able to achieve great looking shots with 50mm fov. just practise practise and more practise.

Some shots of 50mm fov for ur inspirations

chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 27 Nov 2014 08:45

wah lau, you all make me wana buy lens instead of a watch,oh man, lol.
Currently, thinking of the Oly 17mm f1.8 lens to go with my ancient EPL1, viewing sample pics now...so many things so little funds
pic from Robin Wong's blog
hisokaka

Post by hisokaka » 27 Nov 2014 11:28

chriscentro wrote:wah lau, you all make me wana buy lens instead of a watch,oh man, lol.
Currently, thinking of the Oly 17mm f1.8 lens to go with my ancient EPL1, viewing sample pics now...so many things so little funds
get em1 plus 17mm 1.8 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 27 Nov 2014 12:51

hisokaka wrote:
chriscentro wrote:wah lau, you all make me wana buy lens instead of a watch,oh man, lol.
Wah poison...but if i spend on photography it would be on lenses. Come to think of it, I've been eyeing the Sigma 15mm fisheye lens for quite a while but afraid that it might not get used often.
ckw

Post by ckw » 27 Nov 2014 21:01

hisokaka wrote:
or wait till next feb '15 where Olympus will probably announce the successor to the discontinued EM5... :o