Photography

General chit chat and off topics
nightwatchman

Re: New hobby Photography

Post by nightwatchman » 16 Dec 2013 21:03

TheChef wrote:Practice photography with a handphone and compact camera first.
Learn how to compose your pictures is more important than owning the most high-end and advanced camera system. What good is your $10,000 camera if you position your subject smack in the center in every picture?
Wade

Post by Wade » 19 Dec 2013 11:16

It is cheaper to get D5200 from airport dutyfree?
I saw Yodobashi or BIC Camera is selling at Yen58,800 (Sin 717.36) cheaper than Sin (S$1,199), sound good deal...
A man age doesn't matter; it's the man heart... think positive & good things will come along the way...
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 19 Dec 2013 11:22

Wade wrote:It is cheaper to get D5200 from airport dutyfree?
I saw Yodobashi or BIC Camera is selling at Yen58,800 (Sin 717.36) cheaper than Sin (S$1,199), sound good deal...
If you are at BIC Camera, show your passport and use Visa card to pay. U get 5+5% discount. It's cheaper to get Apple products there too, not forgetting Seiko JDM watches.........
Wade

Post by Wade » 19 Dec 2013 11:51

Lgt wrote:
Wade wrote:It is cheaper to get D5200 from airport dutyfree?
If you are at BIC Camera, show your passport and use Visa card to pay. U get 5+5% discount. It's cheaper to get Apple products there too, not forgetting Seiko JDM watches.........
sound not bad, does this 5+5% discount still vaild in Jan/Feb.
A man age doesn't matter; it's the man heart... think positive & good things will come along the way...
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 19 Dec 2013 11:52

Wade wrote:
Lgt wrote:
I think so. Google VISA Japan promotion.
Wade

Post by Wade » 19 Dec 2013 11:57

Lgt wrote:
Wade wrote:
I think so. Google VISA Japan promotion.
got it...thk bro
http://www.visa-news.jp/visitjapan/i-me ... 01bic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 20 Dec 2013 12:11

Checked out the camera pricing of BIC online. The price doesnt seem as good as amazon jp or mapcameras. Maybe the in shop pricing is different.
Wade

Re: Photography

Post by Wade » 30 Sep 2014 21:38

I will be helping my frd to take his wedding photos at restaurant & tea cermony.
Which lens will be suitable for wedding as I only have the kit lens, 35mm f/1.8 lens & 55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens?
Don't think i will spent $$$ to get additional lens.
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 30 Sep 2014 21:59

Get a Sony mirrorless.... no need to lug heavy camera around or learn how to use it but can still take incredible shots on vacation.

Choice of fathers and salarymen everywhere.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
Wade

Post by Wade » 30 Sep 2014 22:29

oncleoliver wrote:Get a Sony mirrorless.... no need to lug heavy camera around or learn how to use it but can still take incredible shots on vacation.

Choice of fathers and salarymen everywhere.
Thk for your input. Currently using D5200 and don't think will spent $$ to get another camera.
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 30 Sep 2014 23:17

A flash is definitely more useful as you will be faced with a lot of low light situations.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
Wade

Post by Wade » 30 Sep 2014 23:25

roo7 wrote:A flash is definitely more useful as you will be faced with a lot of low light situations.
Yes, external flash will be added.
But which lens should be suitable; kits lens, 35mm f/1:1.8G or 55-200mm f/1:4-5.6G?
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 30 Sep 2014 23:48

TheChef wrote:
nightwatchman wrote:
Yeah... iPhone takes fantastic pictures. I use my handphone very often these days.
Nowadays, most of the time I use my handphone to take shots in my line of work. Very convenient. Pics can be shared out to others very quickly. A pic beats a thousand words. Don't hurry into buying expensive equipment. Practice photography with a handphone and compact camera first.
However... nowadays phone cameras have fixed resolutions that requires further editing or cropping of the taken pics such that the pictures can be uploaded to companies' mail server of some forums which have upload size limitations.
This is why nowadays the pictures i had uploaded are mostly cropped to meet the uploading size limit.

Phone cameras are still mostly fitted with large apertures f2.2 and above. Taking pictures in dark surroundings will still be filled with noise, even though i had most of the time set the ISO to it's max. Phone cams with smaller apertures are much more ex currently.

I had thought of getting the Sony QX10 mobile attachment when it was released last year. Not only it's flexible, where one can no need to mount onto their mobilephones, yet can still take good pictures while holding the attachment and the mobile in one another hands to take pictures, i may also be able to use the camera attachment with any other devices as long as they're Android or iOS base. But the price was very high locally then... 5++??? Too high liaoz... Until the price drops, which is the recent announcement of 2 new models to replace the current QX10 and QX100, in Japan, the QX10 can be get @ less than SGD$250 @ BIC Camera store. That made me tempted... yet i'm greedy for the QX1 which comes with much better specs and flexibility of using alternate lens attachment!
Sigh... budget tight, and still greedy for better camera function... really... I think i stick to my KODAK DC better... Haaa~~~

Btw... to those who are going to Japan in recent weeks... The QX1 can only be preordered from tomorrow onwards till the official launch on the 10th in Japan. No idea about the SG launch date.
Price of the QX1 @ YODOBASHI(OSAKA, no idea about the rest of the cities) will be available in 2 configuration.
If just only the main body without any lens attachment, ¥38750.
If comes with a full set with SONY lens attachment, which is interchangeable, ¥54950.

Price of QX30 with fixed CarlZeiss lens, ¥46850.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Wade

Post by Wade » 01 Oct 2014 11:48

Wade wrote:
roo7 wrote:A flash is definitely more useful as you will be faced with a lot of low light situations.
Yes, external flash will be added.
But which lens should be suitable; kits lens, 35mm f/1:1.8G or 55-200mm f/1:4-5.6G?
Read some review somewhere as it said AF-S NIKKOR 50mm or 85mm f/1.8G would also be a good choice.
Any bros could like to me know whether 55-200mm f/4 would be workable/suitable for wedding photography; I want a great & clear photo...:)
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 01 Oct 2014 20:05

People shots is not really my thing but I would think that you need to be fast to take and flexible because not everybody will make way for you unless it's a coordinated shot.

Shots taken when the action is going on is pretty random at times, so I think having a bigger zoom range is better. Keep the wide for group shots when it's coordinated.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
ckw

Post by ckw » 01 Oct 2014 23:50

i used to do a lot of photography some 10-15 years back with a film SLR, with 3 prime lenses, motor drive, metz flash gun...until the digital revolution and work commitments.

recently, decided to get back into photography, did a lot of research and finally got an OM-D E-M10. its light and compact compared to DSLR, cheaper and quality (both make and photos) are fabulous. it even have a built-in flash for unexpected moments. personally think mirrorless, M43 format combines the best of DSLR & compacts, with a good array of lens to choose from.

as I am not young anymore and gotten sick of lugging kilos of equipment around, the EM10 fits my requirements perfectly, not to mention that it looks good too. having handled my friend's D800 recently, i was so glad i got the EM10, as i got tired just holding the D800 for 10mins.

in terms of mirrorless systems, think Olympus Pens and OM-Ds have the fastest and most accurate auto focus, able to rival DSLRs...

so do explore M43 format...they have good expansion options like DSLR, but lighter and smaller for travelling, good picture quality and think its excellent for beginners with a wide system to expand upon and easier on the wallet, not to mention shoulders as well...
Wade

Post by Wade » 19 Oct 2014 15:25

does anyone know how much a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 cost in SGP?
I have kit lens, 35mm f1.8 and 55~200 f4-5.6G.

I intend to get 24-70mm f2.8 which might be good for traveling for portrait and landscape shot.
any suggestion for me whether to get 24-70mm f2.8 or stick to 35mm f2.8 which is good for portrait but i can't zoom in for landscape.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 19 Oct 2014 17:50

Wade wrote:does anyone know how much a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 cost in SGP?
I have kit lens, 35mm f1.8 and 55~200 f4-5.6G.

I intend to get 24-70mm f2.8 which might be good for traveling for portrait and landscape shot.
any suggestion for me whether to get 24-70mm f2.8 or stick to 35mm f2.8 which is good for portrait but i can't zoom in for landscape.
Bro, I wana give you my input. After a few years in photography hobby, I've come to realise one only needs a full frame camera and a f1.4 35mm lens.

This set up is very versatile for general photography, from landscape to environmental portraits and even a bit of closed up due to short minimum focus distance of a 35mm lens. You can browse photos using this set up in flickr to see what I mean.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2064616@N24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My suggestion is to get a Nikon D750 and a Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens. This would cost about $3600.

Lastly, have a read on this article,25 Steps to a D700.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... eorge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wade

Post by Wade » 21 Oct 2014 11:15

@chriscentro bro, indeed your input is very useful/important to me; I have learn pretty much knowledge from you.

Re-cap, I will be shooting my bro-in-law wedding ceremony soon and decided/taking ur advice on using 35mm f/1.8 lens. I have tried many shots at home to simulate the indoor/outdoor shooting with external flash and come to a conclusion with below setup. I would like to hear some advise from you.

Indoor:-
Using Aperture mode, manual set to ISO500 to 800, auto shutter speed.

Outdoor:-
Using Aperture mode, manual set to ISO100, auto shutter speed.

Restaurant:-
Using Aperture mode, auto shutter speed but have no idea on the setting for ISOxxx (need your input & view)

Night shot:-
Using Aperture mode, auto shutter speed but have no idea on the setting for ISOxxx (need your input & view)
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 21 Oct 2014 11:53

Wade wrote:@chriscentro bro, indeed your input is very useful/important to me; I have learn pretty much knowledge from you.

Re-cap, I will be shooting my bro-in-law wedding ceremony soon and decided/taking ur advice on using 35mm f/1.8 lens. I have tried many shots at home to simulate the indoor/outdoor shooting with external flash and come to a conclusion with below setup. I would like to hear some advise from you.

Indoor:-
Using Aperture mode, manual set to ISO500 to 800, auto shutter speed.

Outdoor:-
Using Aperture mode, manual set to ISO100, auto shutter speed.

Restaurant:-

Night shot:-
Bro, whatever mode you are in, remember to review your shots by checking your cam's back LCD for the exposure as sometimes the sensor is fooled by bright ceiling lights causing the image to under-expose.

And ensure that your shutter speed is fast enough not to cause camera shake in your photos.