Photography

General chit chat and off topics
Wade

Photography

Post by Wade » 11 Dec 2013 13:44

I just took up a new hobby ''photography'' but I need a DSLR camera.
Did some research and keen on Nikon DSLR D3200 or D5200 and commonly see the price as 999 to 1,119 with standard package boby + 18-55mm & etc...

As I new to this hobby and need some advice on what should I need for normal usage taking photo during vacation. Is D3200 or D5200 good enough for usage for vacation.

Body: D3200 or D5200 - which one better or good enough for entry level?
Len: 18-55mm - ok? need better len for example 55-200mm or 55-300mm
Flash: should I get? if yes, what model for entry level

Will it be cheaper to buy from Japan like BIC Camera or Yodobashi?

Looking forward for expert advice...
Last edited by Wade on 28 Dec 2013 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
A man age doesn't matter; it's the man heart... think positive & good things will come along the way...
telepgm

Re: New hobby Photography

Post by telepgm » 11 Dec 2013 14:00

My wife is selling D90 with lenses. Please PM me if you are keen in exploring to purchase a pre-loved DSLR.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
david.tan

Post by david.tan » 11 Dec 2013 14:29

ever tog of getting mirror-less ? if you are not serious into pixel peep, mirrorless cam like Fuji X, Sony NEX, olympus Pen are very good enough for normal use

i find DSLR is too huge n heavy to carry around esp going for travel :)
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 11 Dec 2013 14:41

For tours I prefer using a EVIL system (aka mirrorless) due to the compact size.
Not only is it easier to bring around, it also attracts less attention to yourself which is a plus if you are visiting certain locations.

I don't think a flash is necessary if it's not part of the package, I would rather get a prime lens with low F stop instead for low light shots.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 11 Dec 2013 15:02

Try sony RX1
My current fravourite.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 11 Dec 2013 22:03

If getting an entry level DSLR coupled with the kit lens that comes with it doesn't really give one the "wow" one is looking for.

I suggest to at least get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens to go with the D3200/5300. You will be able to zoom from a wide angle of 17mm for landscape to 24mm for general purpose shots and to 50mm for portraits. At f2.8 at all focal length enables you to have shallower depth of field. I've had this lens before, it's a sharp lens. If you buy, you need to get the BIM (built-in motor) version to work with Nikon D3200 or D5300.

For a start, you can go without an external flash as having flash means you'll have another variable for you to control. Learn the basic first.
Trident

Post by Trident » 14 Dec 2013 19:57

Agree with chriscentro, the Tamron is very good, you can't go wrong.I am using it too.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Dec 2013 08:40

Trident wrote:Agree with chriscentro, the Tamron is very good, you can't go wrong.I am using it too.
Resale value for Tamron lenses very low sia (expect to lose up to 60% if sold as used). Also, their colors and contrast very flat. Best to save up a bit more to buy original.

If you insist on buying 3rd party lenses, I highly-recommend Tokina.
Last edited by nightwatchman on 15 Dec 2013 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 15 Dec 2013 09:37

Trident wrote:Agree with chriscentro, the Tamron is very good, you can't go wrong.I am using it too.
Get Nikon 17-55 f2.8. After a few months of being very unhappy with Tamron lens pic sharpness and contrast, a friend of mine sold it at 30% of price he bought. I personally got issue with Tokina. I sold it, but heng heng only lost $100 because I bought it cheap. Very disappointing lens. Or else, get a Sigma lens. But, Sigma also need to test for sharpness before buying. For peace of mind, get a Nikon.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
marshy

Post by marshy » 15 Dec 2013 14:29

chriscentro wrote:If getting an entry level DSLR coupled with the kit lens that comes with it doesn't really give one the "wow" one is looking for.

I suggest to at least get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens to go with the D3200/5300. You will be able to zoom from a wide angle of 17mm for landscape to 24mm for general purpose shots and to 50mm for portraits. At f2.8 at all focal length enables you to have shallower depth of field. I've had this lens before, it's a sharp lens. If you buy, you need to get the BIM (built-in motor) version to work with Nikon D3200 or D5300.

For a start, you can go without an external flash as having flash means you'll have another variable for you to control. Learn the basic first.
Actually the effective focal length would be 27-80mm as camera in use is crop sensor. You need to multiply lens indicated focal length with x1.6
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Dec 2013 16:33

TheChef wrote:I personally got issue with Tokina. I sold it, but heng heng only lost $100 because I bought it cheap. Very disappointing lens.
I had my Tokina 28-70 f2.8 AT-X Pro for over 15 years. I took all my photojournalism assignments with this lens and a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D two-touch lens. It is built like a tank. I sold it for $400 in 2007 after I bought a Nikon 17-35 f2.8 AFS.

You know I had the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 AT-X Pro DX lens once upon a time. This lens had some sharpness issue but I heard the version 2 has addressed most of the earlier hiccups. Regardless, I must say Tokina makes the best 3rd party lenses now.

Yes, I agree that Nikon 17-55 f2.8 AFS DX is a great lens. It is my bread-and-butter, workhorse lens until today (I sold the 17-35). I also heard that Nikon 16-35 f4 AFS VR is a fantastic lens. I personally haven't try it but the feedback from many users is very good.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Dec 2013 23:55

marshy wrote:You need to multiply lens indicated focal length with x1.6
Bro, the crop factor for Nikon DX is 1.5.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 16 Dec 2013 08:10

No doubt the Nikon lens is good but it's also heavy and expensive.. If one want to spend so much might as well get a entry level full frame cam.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 16 Dec 2013 11:27

chriscentro wrote:No doubt the Nikon lens is good but it's also heavy and expensive.. If one want to spend so much might as well get a entry level full frame cam.
If full frame, then may need to buy Nikon 24-70 f2.8 wor. Even heavier and more expensive because it is a full frame camera lens. I personally prefer non-full frame camera. Cheaper, lighter, more lens choices and better reach due to crop factor.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 16 Dec 2013 12:11

TheChef wrote:
chriscentro wrote:No doubt the Nikon lens is good but it's also heavy and expensive.. If one want to spend so much might as well get a entry level full frame cam.
If full frame, then may need to buy Nikon 24-70 f2.8 wor. Even heavier and more expensive because it is a full frame camera lens. I personally prefer non-full frame camera. Cheaper, lighter, more lens choices and better reach due to crop factor.
I was going to recommend the D610 with the 35mm f2 lens.
Actually there is a Tamron 28-75 and newer 24-70 with vibration control.

I only use fast prime lenses, no zooms for me except the 150-500mm lens.

I think one has to shoot more to see what lens is more suitable for himself.
kingsky

Post by kingsky » 16 Dec 2013 15:33

Go mirrorless!! It's so easy to bring it around.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 16 Dec 2013 20:22

kingsky wrote:Go mirrorless!! It's so easy to bring it around.
No need mirrorless. I just use compact camera and handphone.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 16 Dec 2013 20:23

kingsky wrote:Go mirrorless!! It's so easy to bring it around.
Mirrorless cameras have its pros and cons. Serious hobbyists and tan chiak photographers like TheChef and myself still prefer the speed, handling and ergonomics of a DSLR.

It really depends on ones' need.
Last edited by nightwatchman on 16 Dec 2013 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 16 Dec 2013 20:26

TheChef wrote:I just use compact camera and handphone.
Yeah... iPhone takes fantastic pictures. I use my handphone very often these days.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 16 Dec 2013 20:36

nightwatchman wrote:
TheChef wrote:I just use compact camera and handphone.
Yeah... iPhone takes fantastic pictures. I use my handphone very often these days.
Nowadays, most of the time I use my handphone to take shots in my line of work. Very convenient. Pics can be shared out to others very quickly. A pic beats a thousand words. Don't hurry into buying expensive equipment. Practice photography with a handphone and compact camera first.