Watch tool kit.

General chit chat and off topics
Malo

Watch tool kit.

Post by Malo » 12 Feb 2014 16:16

Saw this at Cash Converter a few days ago. Think around $35.00. Worth getting?

ruzmidah

Re: Watch tool kit.

Post by ruzmidah » 12 Feb 2014 17:31

Mustapha Centre only $15

But this one looks more professional and more stuff in it.... :D
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 12 Feb 2014 17:47

Malo wrote:Saw this at Cash Converter a few days ago. Think around $35.00. Worth getting?
I restore and recondition watches. My advice is avoid using these cheap watch tools. They may damage your precious investment if not careful, especially the case opener and hands remover.

A "proper" case opener already costs more than 5 times the tool kit.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 12 Feb 2014 20:32

nightwatchman wrote:
Malo wrote:Saw this at Cash Converter a few days ago. Think around $35.00. Worth getting?
I restore and recondition watches. My advice is avoid using these cheap watch tools. They may damage your precious investment if not careful, especially the case opener and hands remover.

A "proper" case opener already costs more than 5 times the tool kit.
Bro nightwatchman, greetings!

Do you have a physical shop for business or you just restore and recondition watches only for your personal collection?

Just asking to know, maybe in future might need your services.

Cheers.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 12 Feb 2014 20:43

Andoy wrote:Bro nightwatchman, greetings!

Do you have a physical shop for business or you just restore and recondition watches only for your personal collection?

Cheers.
Just for my own humble collection and my family's heirlooms. ;)
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 12 Feb 2014 21:59

For a decent basic watch tool kit, I have compiled a list of 20 essential items:

1. Bergeon Aplanatic 4X loupe (model: 4902-2.5)
2. LG Master hand wrench for screw case (model: CO-600)
3. A*F Swiss-made snap case knife (model: 16883)
4. A*F blue ball case opener
5. Aluminium case holder with 4 nylon pins (any brand)
6. Aluminium movement holder for large watches (any brand)
7. Bergeon #1 Presto hand remover (model: #30636-1) - a lot of fake Prestos out there. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer
8. Dial protector (any brand)
9. Dumont Dumostar non-magnetic #1 tweezers (model: FB-1300) - you only want to use a non-magnetic Dumont tweezers to work your mechanical watches. If not, you are asking for trouble
10. Soft rubber dust blower (any brand)
11. Horotec case cushion with transparent plastic cover (model: MSA 09.305)
12. Nylon mallet (any brand)
13. Bergeon pin punch set (model: 189.820)
14. Bergeon soft bracelet pin remover base (model: 6744-P-S)
15. Long nose pliers (any brand)
16. Bergeon spring bar tool (model: 6111)
17. A*F French-made watchmaker screwdriver set of 6 - 0.8 mm, 1 mm, 1.20 mm, 1.40 mm, 1.60 mm and 2 mm (model 980.01)
18. Selvyt lint-free polishing and cleaning cloth 10" x 10"
19. Seiko silicone watch grease (model: TSF-451)
20. Bergeon Rodico (model 6033) - a must-have in every watchmaker's toolbox
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 12 Feb 2014 23:36

nightwatchman wrote:
Andoy wrote:Bro nightwatchman, greetings!

Cheers.
Just for my own humble collection and my family's heirlooms. ;)
Ah! Thank you Bro!

Cheers. :mrgreen:
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 12 Feb 2014 23:37

nightwatchman wrote:For a decent basic watch tool kit, I have compiled a list of 20 essential items:

1. Bergeon Aplanatic 4X loupe (model: 4902-2.5)
2. LG Master hand wrench for screw case (model: CO-600)
3. A*F Swiss-made snap case knife (model: 16883)
4. A*F blue ball case opener
5. Aluminium case holder with 4 nylon pins (any brand)
6. Aluminium movement holder for large watches (any brand)
7. Bergeon #1 Presto hand remover (model: #30636-1) - a lot of fake Prestos out there. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer
8. Dial protector (any brand)
9. Dumont Dumostar non-magnetic #1 tweezers (model: FB-1300) - you only want to use a non-magnetic Dumont tweezers to work your mechanical watches. If not, you are asking for trouble
10. Soft rubber dust blower (any brand)
11. Horotec case cushion with transparent plastic cover (model: MSA 09.305)
12. Nylon mallet (any brand)
13. Bergeon pin punch set (model: 189.820)
14. Bergeon soft bracelet pin remover base (model: 6744-P-S)
15. Long nose pliers (any brand)
16. Bergeon spring bar tool (model: 6111)
17. A*F French-made watchmaker screwdriver set of 6 - 0.8 mm, 1 mm, 1.20 mm, 1.40 mm, 1.60 mm and 2 mm (model 980.01)
18. Selvyt lint-free polishing and cleaning cloth 10" x 10"
19. Seiko silicone watch grease (model: TSF-451)
20. Bergeon Rodico (model 6033) - a must-have in every watchmaker's toolbox
Thanks once again for sharing.

God Bless and best regards! :mrgreen:
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 13 Feb 2014 07:19

Andoy wrote:Thanks once again for sharing.

God Bless and best regards! :mrgreen:
You are most welcome. :P
Diospada

Post by Diospada » 14 Feb 2014 08:40

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 14 Feb 2014 08:44

Diospada wrote:Thanks for sharing.
No problem... I just don't want our bros here to make the same mistake I have made before. That is using cheap and "unsafe" watch tools. :(
Malo

Post by Malo » 15 Feb 2014 00:59

good things I ask....not getting it now ;-)

Thank you!!
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Feb 2014 07:43

Malo wrote:good things I ask....not getting it now ;-)

Thank you!!
Yeah... It is good to seek others' opinion first before buying something you are unsure.

A couple of years back I wanted to install a new air-conditioning system in the house. My neighbor is an aircon technician so I seek his advice on which brand to buy (I had Mitsubishi in mind). Without hesitation, he replied "Panasonic". Thanks to his recommendation, my electric bill actually gone down and the quality of air is better (no more stuffy nose in the mornings).
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 16 Feb 2014 09:42

nightwatchman wrote:
Malo wrote:good things I ask....not getting it now ;-)

Thank you!!
Yeah... It is good to seek others' opinion first before buying something you are unsure.

A couple of years back I wanted to install a new air-conditioning system in the house. My neighbor is an aircon technician so I seek his advice on which brand to buy (I had Mitsubishi in mind). Without hesitation, he replied "Panasonic". Thanks to his recommendation, my electric bill actually gone down and the quality of air is better (no more stuffy nose in the mornings).
Ha-ha! Good morning SCS and Bro nightwatchman! Your post made me turn my head to look at the brand of aircon I had installed in my room, same as yours -- Panasonic! :lol:
It's an inverter and has the "ECONAVI" feature which really is helpful in keeping my PUB at manageable levels.

So I agree when you say " seek other's opinion on things that are unsure of ".

Happy Sunday everyone! :mrgreen:
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 16 Feb 2014 12:37

Andoy wrote:
nightwatchman wrote:

Ha-ha! Good morning SCS and Bro nightwatchman! Your post made me turn my head to look at the brand of aircon I had installed in my room, same as yours -- Panasonic! :lol:
It's an inverter and has the "ECONAVI" feature which really is helpful in keeping my PUB at manageable levels.

inverter power savings works only when user utlise 2 or 3 fcu most of the time when using the aircon.

if ya only using 1 room 1 fcu most of the time, there's not much savings. not considering the higher cost in buying a inverter

inverter compressor runs all the time compare to normal compressor, but varies speed although limit to a min speed or percentage.

the highest consumption from any type of compressor come from starting, thus inverter was made with the idea of running it via DC and varying the speed to cut this consumption from starting of compressor on old ac conventional compressor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioner_inverter

thus when 1 room in usage reaches the set temperature, the inverter compressor continues to run but much slower, but the cold refrigerant will be diverted away .

so when u run 2 or 3 room , its unlikley the set temp of all 3 rooms will be reached together.

many ppl buy the most expensive aircon package out there but neglect simple maint thus incuring high mthly bill and repairing cost.

simple thing like cleaning the filters are only left to aircon company to do say 3 mths or even 6 mths or worst 1 yearly.

in between, when aircon is not cold, user lowers temperature gradually, forcing aircon to work at higher capacity, by time fcu and filter is choked, temp sets to below 20C, its just another typical case of leak waiting to happen.

on a side note, i did not had good experience on my bro's panasonic, its the old type of non inverter sys 2. 1 fcu had issues, and it was 4 years after installation.
they didnt keep stock anymore!!!
on this aspect Daikin has the best stock inventory in aircon trade in sg.
How good any system, with a good spare parts inventory, its useless in time to come aso.
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 16 Feb 2014 15:41

phantom150 wrote: on this aspect Daikin has the best stock inventory in aircon trade in sg.
Surprisingly, my neighbor works for Daikin (he wears a uniform). He actually advise me not to buy Daikin as their compressors are prone to corrosion. Also, their system was way beyond my budget.

By the way, I saw my neighbor's room unit. He uses Panasonic as well. So, if it is good enough for him and his family, it is good enough for mine.
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 16 Feb 2014 16:10

nightwatchman wrote:
phantom150 wrote: on this aspect Daikin has the best stock inventory in aircon trade in sg.
Surprisingly, my neighbor works for Daikin (he wears a uniform). He actually advise me not to buy Daikin as their compressors are prone to corrosion. Also, their system was way beyond my budget.

By the way, I saw my neighbor's room unit. He uses Panasonic as well. So, if it is good enough for him and his family, it is good enough for mine.
daikin parts are ex, but can get.... and reasonable lead time,

Samsung seems to be the worst.

mhe also heard jialet......

my bro's panasonic, they dun stock the fcu anymore, so from sys 2 become sys 1 liao. :lol:

unless change the whole set..... haizzzz

the sanyo of early 2000s was good... then they disappear from the market, not sure now anymore.

all compressors have 5 year warranty, but they never break down in 5 yrs time.

the pcb however only have 1 yr , no prizes for guessing why so short compare to compressors
Last edited by phantom150 on 16 Feb 2014 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 16 Feb 2014 16:15

phantom150 wrote:the sanyo of early 2000s was good... then they disappear from the market, not sure now anymore.
According to the salesperson at Gain City (where I bought my aircon system), Sanyo aircon division was acquired and absorbed by Panasonic. This was one of the reasons that gave me confidence in buying the brand.

My previous system was a Sanyo. I had it for more than 15 years.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 16 Feb 2014 18:15

phantom150 wrote:
Andoy wrote:

inverter power savings works only when user utlise 2 or 3 fcu most of the time when using the aircon.

if ya only using 1 room 1 fcu most of the time, there's not much savings. not considering the higher cost in buying a inverter

inverter compressor runs all the time compare to normal compressor, but varies speed although limit to a min speed or percentage.

the highest consumption from any type of compressor come from starting, thus inverter was made with the idea of running it via DC and varying the speed to cut this consumption from starting of compressor on old ac conventional compressor.

thus when 1 room in usage reaches the set temperature, the inverter compressor continues to run but much slower, but the cold refrigerant will be diverted away .

so when u run 2 or 3 room , its unlikley the set temp of all 3 rooms will be reached together.

many ppl buy the most expensive aircon package out there but neglect simple maint thus incuring high mthly bill and repairing cost.

simple thing like cleaning the filters are only left to aircon company to do say 3 mths or even 6 mths or worst 1 yearly.

in between, when aircon is not cold, user lowers temperature gradually, forcing aircon to work at higher capacity, by time fcu and filter is choked, temp sets to below 20C, its just another typical case of leak waiting to happen.

on a side note, i did not had good experience on my bro's panasonic, its the old type of non inverter sys 2. 1 fcu had issues, and it was 4 years after installation.
How good any system, with a good spare parts inventory, its useless in time to come aso.
Thank you for sharing Bro.

I using system 2, 1 for bedroom and 1 for other room (the one I mentioned as my room, where I keep my watches and toys).

My PUB cost $60-$70 per month compared to the flat we were renting before which is $100++, 1 aircon only using window type.

Cheers.
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 16 Feb 2014 21:16

Andoy wrote:
phantom150 wrote:

Thank you for sharing Bro.

I using system 2, 1 for bedroom and 1 for other room (the one I mentioned as my room, where I keep my watches and toys).

My PUB cost $60-$70 per month compared to the flat we were renting before which is $100++, 1 aircon only using window type.

Cheers.
The window type u mention are more power consuming than even non inverter sys 2 or even sys 1.

That said. This type aso blows out cold air at higher capacity n can withstand higher usage.

Sent using tapatalk