Official Omega Speedmaster Thread

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
big-e-294

Official Omega Speedmaster Thread

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 10:00

i dunno much about swiss pieces, let alone omega speedy, but i keep seeing a sellers posting FS for omega speedy pro for 2.6k++ :o
can it be so cheap? i always thought they are much more :?:

at the same price as what i paid for my mm300, i am tempted to aim for one in 2012

can any bro advice?

roo7: Amended thread title :ugeek:
herzausstahl

Re: omega speedy pro on sgroc

Post by herzausstahl » 21 Dec 2011 10:04

They are around this price. The basic Speedmaster Professional is a current model, with a current movement (1861), and enjoyed a relatively long production run, so there should be a good pool of used pieces for sale at these prices.

I like these:

Last edited by herzausstahl on 21 Dec 2011 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
devil00

omega speedy pro on sgroc

Post by devil00 » 21 Dec 2011 10:11

This is the standard price for used omega speedy...even at pre own shop also around this price :D
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 10:17

there were others before, but this was the one that triggered my thoughts..
http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/78022-FS- ... s-amp-tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so, the 1861 movement is the current manual wind movement?
watch size is 41mm or so?
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 21 Dec 2011 10:24

big-e-294 wrote:there were others before, but this was the one that triggered my thoughts..
http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/78022-FS- ... s-amp-tool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quoted frm Net;
The cal.321 movement was produced since 1946 and used in the Speedmaster Pro till october 1968. After that, they started using the cal.861 movement, which had lesser parts and thus cheaper to produce for Omega. Omega used it till 1997. Nowadays, they use the cal.1861, which has a nicer finish and an extra jewel (18).

42mm watch... ;)
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:30

bro fyi there are many types of speedy,movt used ,variant,model = price

pre moon speedmaster professional cal 321
moonwatch speedmaster professional 861
moonwatch speedmaster professional 1861 (post moon...made for decades ,so still can find mint and new set)
various speedmaster series( mark II,III,4.5 ,125 etc)

later released from 90's to present;
lotsa racing /F1 related speedmaster variants
speedmaster reduced

and much more...
if you interested to buy one according to value ,have to do research cos local and overseas forum pricing a bit different. But there is a gauge pricing.. according to movt,variant,model,condition
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:36

big-e-294 wrote:there were others before, but this was the one that triggered my thoughts..

dont have to worry abt size cos its pretty around the same 41-42mm dimension and it wouldnt wear small on your wrist...look at how popular they are with many collectors..celebrities etc..

only version you have to note are those special variant made for some games/ppl(olympic? f1?)cos variant too many hence have to check their sizes and also the speedy reduced(reduced using other movt riao)

861 and 1861 are robust manual wind movt with e latter have extra jewels and better plate finished(1861 n 1863(mainly) does have a lot of display casebacks variants)
Last edited by oOsiMm on 21 Dec 2011 10:56, edited 2 times in total.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 10:36

aiken74 wrote:

Quoted frm Net;
The cal.321 movement was produced since 1946 and used in the Speedmaster Pro till october 1968. After that, they started using the cal.861 movement, which had lesser parts and thus cheaper to produce for Omega. Omega used it till 1997. Nowadays, they use the cal.1861, which has a nicer finish and an extra jewel (18).

42mm watch... ;)
thanks bro. :D

i hv to start doing my research.
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 21 Dec 2011 10:36

oOsiMm wrote:bro fyi there are many types of speedy,movt used ,variant,model = price

pre moon speedmaster professional cal 321
moonwatch speedmaster professional 861
moonwatch speedmaster professional 1861 (post moon...made for decades ,so still can find mint and new set)
various speedmaster series( mark II,III,4.5 ,125 etc)

later released from 90's to present;
lotsa racing /F1 related speedmaster variants
speedmaster reduced

and much more...
if you interested to buy one according to value ,have to do research cos local and overseas forum pricing a bit different. But there is a gauge pricing.. according to movt,variant,model,condition
+1 i always find oOsiMm bro 4 advice on OMG watches... ;) he sih de sexpert de... 8-)
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 10:39

oOsiMm wrote:

dont have to worry abt size cos its pretty around the same 41-42mm dimension and it wouldnt wear small on your wrist...look at how popular they are with many collectors..celebrities etc..

only version you have to note are those special variant made for some games/ppl(olympic? f1?)cos variant too many hence have to check their sizes and also the speedy reduced.

861 and 1861 are robust manual wind movt with e latter have extra jewels and better plate finished(1861 does have a lot of display casebacks variants)
if my reading is correct, the speedy reduced is this one right?
http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/75173-FS- ... aster-Auto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was thinking of getting this for my CO.
i am wearing prospex divers and mm300... and she is still on her seiko 5 dress watch :oops:
time to get her a new watch instead of handbags and shoes :lol:

oh yeah.. forgot, she hijacked my snda65 chrono now. :cry:

back to topic, the reduced is 35mm correct?
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:39

aiken74 wrote:+1 i always find oOsiMm bro 4 advice on OMG watches... ;) he sih de :o de... 8-)
wah ...I am not hor... I am just a simple amatuer collector just like bros here...we have other bros who got few speedies...
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 21 Dec 2011 10:42

big-e-294 wrote:
oOsiMm wrote:

only version you have to note are those special variant made for some games/ppl(olympic? f1?)cos variant too many hence have to check their sizes and also the speedy reduced.

861 and 1861 are robust manual wind movt with e latter have extra jewels and better plate finished(1861 does have a lot of display casebacks variants)
if my reading is correct, the speedy reduced is this one right?
http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/75173-FS- ... aster-Auto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i am wearing prospex divers and mm300... and she is still on her seiko 5 dress watch :oops:

tis ish a reduced at 39mm... ;)

mine wit moi cocklick reduced... :mrgreen:

oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:44

big-e-294 wrote: if my reading is correct, the speedy reduced is this one right?

ya thats e reduced hence the model number 3510.50 whereas the 1861 full(normal) size is 3570.50

speedmaster normal and reduced specs;

===================================================================
Omega Speedmaster Automatic (“Reduced”)
Reference: 3510.50.00

MOVEMENT
Caliber: Omega 3220
Self-winding chronograph movement with rhodium-plated finish
Power Reserve: 40 hours

CASE & CRYSTAL
Stainless steel case
Hesalite crystal

WATER RESISTANCE
Down to: 30 meters / 100 feet

SIZE
Case Diameter: 39 mm

==============================================================
Omega Speedmaster Professional
Reference: 3570.50.00

MOVEMENT
Caliber: Omega 1861
Famous manual-winding chronograph movement that was worn on the Moon. Rhodium-plated finish
Power Reserve: 48 hours

CASE & CRYSTAL
Stainless steel case
Hesalite crystal

WATER RESISTANCE
Down to: 50 meters / 167 feet

SIZE
Case Diameter: 42 mm

Taken from;

http://watchescorner.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ed-vs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also some infos;
http://chronomaddox.com/omega/tables/mr ... ry_cm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by oOsiMm on 21 Dec 2011 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 10:45

oOsiMm wrote:
aiken74 wrote:+1 i always find oOsiMm bro 4 advice on OMG watches... ;) he sih de :o de... 8-)
wah ...I am not hor... I am just a simple amatuer collector just like bros here...we have other bros who got few speedies...
you are honest in your opinion and well read on some of these models...
+1
i agree with bro aiken :D
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:47

You cant mixed up the cal 3220 speedy reduced(3510.50) with cal 1861(or even 861) speedy cos from the size (when u hands on it ) and also dial ,secs hand differences.

cos if ppl ask me reduced or 1861 or 861 better(maybe they wanna pul trigger on one?)
I will ask him what matters to him first.

-vintage or modern?
-heritage/iconic?
-movement?
-price?
-size?
-condition?

*I wouldnt get sianz looking at a omega 1861 or 861 speedy... :D

herz n watchlooker bro also got nice speedies...
Last edited by oOsiMm on 21 Dec 2011 11:11, edited 2 times in total.
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 21 Dec 2011 10:55

cal 3220 info;

It is powered by an exclusive decorated, rugged and reliable movement - the Omega 3220 caliber - which is different than the previous versions of this model, since they used to have the 1140 movement that lacks the desirable luxury finish. It has rhodium-plated finish, beautifully decorated with perlage (circular graining) on the plates, and Côtes de Genève (Geneva stripes) on the winding rotor mass and bridges. This movement, exclusive to Omega, is a slim 45-jewel self-winding Chronograph with central hour hand, central minute hand, small seconds at 3 o'clock, 12-hour totalizer at 6 o'clock, 30-minute totalizer at 9 o'clock, and central chronograph hand. The movement is of modular construction, based on the ETA 2892-A2 with the exclusive Dubois-Dépraz 2020 module. Power reserve: 40hours. This movement's dimensions are 30mm diameter by a height of 6.5mm. The high 28,800 beat-per-hour frequency (4Hz) make the small seconds hand at 3 o'clock as well as the central chronograph hand glide smoothly--noticeably smoother than on its big brother the Omega Speedmaster Professional which has a slower frequency of 21,600 beats-per-hour (3 Hz).
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 21 Dec 2011 12:02

oOsiMm wrote:You cant mixed up the cal 3220 speedy reduced(3510.50) with cal 1861(or even 861) speedy cos from the size (when u hands on it ) and also dial ,secs hand differences.

cos if ppl ask me reduced or 1861 or 861 better(maybe they wanna pul trigger on one?)
I will ask him what matters to him first.

-vintage or modern?
-heritage/iconic?
-movement?
-price?
-size?
-condition?

*I wouldnt get sianz looking at a omega 1861 or 861 speedy... :D

herz n watchlooker bro also got nice speedies...
+1 belly swee n classic watch... ;) IMHO go 4 1861 instead of reduced movt... :)
Osc13

Post by Osc13 » 21 Dec 2011 12:16

+1 for bro osimm.. You gotta know what you want from an omega speedy pro.. I for one wouldn't touch the 3xxx caliber, I like my watches as closely resemble the original (though the one that went to the moon is the cal.321 only, debatable of course).

Some "limited editions" of the speedy is worth collecting (eg.the snoopy) some aren't (40th anniversary Apollo landing, because they're just gonna release 45th anniversary and 50th and so forth). But again, these limited editions are personal preference.. To each their own :D

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the cal.1861 (current production), though just FYI: there is a part of cal.1861 is made up of plastic, just one part though.. If it bothers you, you might want to consider cal.861 (vintage and it's in rose gold) or cal. 1863.

Swing by chrono maddox's site to learn more bout this beauty..
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Dec 2011 12:21

Osc13 wrote:+1 for bro osimm.. You gotta know what you want from an omega speedy pro.. I for one wouldn't touch the 3xxx caliber, I like my watches as closely resemble the original (though the one that went to the moon is the cal.321 only, debatable of course).

Some "limited editions" of the speedy is worth collecting (eg.the snoopy) some aren't (40th anniversary Apollo landing, because they're just gonna release 45th anniversary and 50th and so forth). But again, these limited editions are personal preference.. To each their own :D

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the cal.1861 (current production), though just FYI: there is a part of cal.1861 is made up of plastic, just one part though.. If it bothers you, you might want to consider cal.861 (vintage and it's in rose gold) or cal. 1863.

Swing by chrono maddox's site to learn more bout this beauty..
thanks.
i just checked the website :shock: so much information.... will have to slowly read it tonight. :D
Osc13

Post by Osc13 » 21 Dec 2011 13:06

With so many options out there, and at such teasing price, trust me, you'll need to take all the time to decide.. Follow this golden rule and you'll be fine:

-vintage or modern?
-heritage/iconic?
-movement?
-price?
-size?
-condition?

Courtesy of bro osimm.. Have fun hunting out there
Cheers