[New Release]- [STEINHART]- just an update...

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
Ed.YEO

Re: [New Release]- [STEINHART]- just an update...

Post by Ed.YEO » 12 Dec 2013 11:57

There's always some minor discrepancies between studio shots and real life pictures due to slight change in angle or lighting.
I learnt that lesson before when i got my Nav.B LSE Chrono more than a years ago, during that time i thought that the dial will be silky white, in the end turns out as metal silver brushed.
This latest release also have minor impression discrepancies as well, where i initially thought that the bezel thickness will be thin at the edge with narrower grooves. But from the picture shown, we can see pretty obvious that the grooves are much thinner, wider, and bezel thicker. Should the tightness is as questionable as those who had experienced on O2, it will be hard to turn.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 12 Dec 2013 13:25

Seems like someone manage to get hold of old steinhart/debaufre parts and are selling them up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281222593136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is even selling Steinhart/Debaufre GMT cases mated with chinese movements :o
IzIz

Post by IzIz » 20 Dec 2013 15:26

rogue_hog wrote:
Cosmograph wrote:

Very simply, models I wanted, gnomon did not have for whatever reason. No availability to get even with them. Might as well deal with steinhart direct. On top of that save a few red notes. (Of course if any issue comes up, then we are left on our own - risk we take)

Rogue, you are a hardcore supporter of gnomon already. It is different as the rest of us are buying only a fraction of what steinhart's you buy above other brands gnomon carries. We know you may not be the top buyer but you are up there within their VIP list so it is different for you vs. many here. Service is not the same. :)
Haha no lah. The level of service is the same. In fact if I send anything back to repair or for service, I have to take a number too. The longest I had to wait for a watch to be serviced there was 3 months!

Actually, I did not get my ovm from them. When the stock came, they refused to sell to me cos all were already allocated. However, one customer put his ovm on sale the dame day he collected from gnomon. Another customer bought it. And he offered it to me at $550 after 2 weeks of ownership. Although the piece was from them, I did not get from gnomon directly. I wanted my ennebi bronze with green dial but couldn't cos there were only 2 green dials and both we reserved and he wouldn't release them to me.

In fact, I have witnessed the arrival of many models I wanted but cos I did not pay deposit, I was not able to get them. When the racetimer's came, the first thing anders told me was, sorry, dude, e blue's taken.

To say that I have privellege is not true cos gnomon still exercise the same rules on me.

Why am I a supporter? Well, several reasons. 1 is I like to fiddle with the watches before I buy them. 2. The convenience of the warranty. 3. I do not need to be the first few to own any particular model. So I am in no rush to get the watches. Especially stein harts. So I'm okay to wait for them.
Sorry if I dug up this but I also attempted to contact Gnomon for a Steinhart I was eyeing and the attitude was like no discounts, this is the price, take it or leave it and dun forget to add the GST.

Kind of put-off by this experience esp since ADs (at least for the major brands) have a inbuilt discount which they can give to customers, plus the attitude is unbelievable... I rather take my chances getting the 'cheaper' one from Steinhart direct.
Diospada

Post by Diospada » 21 Dec 2013 10:22

Just went to Gnomon recently, attitude wise its a hit or miss. Btw their new shipment of Steiharts will come in Feb next year at the earliest.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 21 Dec 2013 18:36

I don't see an issue with not offering discounts though. I favor an outright price than having msrp marked up and be offered pseudo discounts.
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 21 Dec 2013 22:30

They do mark up the price. Website price and store price is different.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 2
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 21 Dec 2013 22:41

doinkydoink wrote:They do mark up the price. Website price and store price is different.
Their mark up... perhaps to be fair, is to support his operation. After all, if we're to look at the bigger angle, Gnomon have a shop space in prime district, a sales girl or 2 to feed, so as the rental of his repair workshop which is a floor above, as well as his team of watchmakers...
I would not say it's a fair pricing, but the extra charges goes to those expenses...
In contrast to big group's produce, you pay more than 3k for a RADO DIA-STAR Chrono with warranty @ Mustafa, yet... during this Xmas period, you pay less than USD$1.5k @ Ashford.

There will be some mark ups here and there...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 21 Dec 2013 22:46

Ed.YEO wrote:
doinkydoink wrote:They do mark up the price. Website price and store price is different.
Their mark up... perhaps to be fair, is to support his operation. After all, if we're to look at the bigger angle, Gnomon have a shop space in prime district, a sales girl or 2 to feed, so as the rental of his repair workshop which is a floor above, as well as his team of watchmakers...
I would not say it's a fair pricing, but the extra charges goes to those expenses...
In contrast to big group's produce, you pay more than 3k for a RADO DIA-STAR Chrono with warranty @ Mustafa, yet... during this Xmas period, you pay less than USD$1.5k @ Ashford.

I don't mean compare to Steinhart website.

Their price tag in the shop is higher than their own website. If you are not aware, you may end up paying higher price than if u order online from them.

Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 21 Dec 2013 23:44

Orh.... okie...
Maybe we can look at this way...
Ever wonder why STEINHART fans from other parts of the world still order frm Gnomon since they can determine the actual price against STEINHART website price base on x-rates? I did the calculation before, indeed, a tad bit amount higher than Germany's export price. But still draws orders all the way from the States/Canada/Australia as well as HK.
Stable supply is maybe the keyword? I dun know...
One thing though, even as an appointed distributor, and perhaps STEINHART gives some discounts to every watch distributed/shipping to their sellers, SG side still kanna GST even though some of the goods are subjected for re-export.

I was once a logistic officer before, i know that even if the goods are declared for re-export, GST still applies.
So overseas customers will pay the cost+gst+shipping charges+mark up(ops cost). While we pay (cost + gst) + (gst+ops charges+shipping charges).

I dunno does Gnomon use the formula above, but the previous company i worked definitely does with their stationaries and toys.
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 22 Dec 2013 08:23

Yes they have a list price but it's nominal, I usually get quoted somewhere around website price + gst without any bargaining.
Last edited by Solanum88 on 22 Dec 2013 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 22 Dec 2013 09:21

Whatever it is. Advice is to do your homework and find out the their website listed price (I don't mean Steinhart) before going down.

This will ensure that you are paying somewhere around that reasonable ballpark price.

Have friends that bought watches thinking giving good discount ends up finding out actually is website price.

Anyway I think OT liow. Suppose to discuss new release? Sorry

rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 25 Dec 2013 02:25

Ed.YEO wrote:Orh.... okie...
Maybe we can look at this way...
Ever wonder why STEINHART fans from other parts of the world still order frm Gnomon since they can determine the actual price against STEINHART website price base on x-rates? I did the calculation before, indeed, a tad bit amount higher than Germany's export price. But still draws orders all the way from the States/Canada/Australia as well as HK.
Stable supply is maybe the keyword? I dun know...
One thing though, even as an appointed distributor, and perhaps STEINHART gives some discounts to every watch distributed/shipping to their sellers, SG side still kanna GST even though some of the goods are subjected for re-export.

I was once a logistic officer before, i know that even if the goods are declared for re-export, GST still applies.
So overseas customers will pay the cost+gst+shipping charges+mark up(ops cost). While we pay (cost + gst) + (gst+ops charges+shipping charges).

I dunno does Gnomon use the formula above, but the previous company i worked definitely does with their stationaries and toys.
i\I'm currently in log and primarily doing freight and have ben at it for the past 15 years.

all goods that come in is subjected to GST unless you have MES status (Major Exporter Scheme) in which your GST will be deffered.

Now for those without MES, goods come in, GST has to be paid up front. if you resell overseas, you can claim back the tax from govt. thus, the GST is not levied for those goods that are reexported. that's why travellers into singapore can claim back the gst for goods bought in SG when they leave SG.
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 25 Dec 2013 02:34

doinkydoink wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote: Their mark up... perhaps to be fair, is to support his operation. After all, if we're to look at the bigger angle, Gnomon have a shop space in prime district, a sales girl or 2 to feed, so as the rental of his repair workshop which is a floor above, as well as his team of watchmakers...

Their price tag in the shop is higher than their own website. If you are not aware, you may end up paying higher price than if u order online from them.

I think ed had hit it right on the nail. its no surprise if the watch is cheaper on gnomon's website than at their shop. sometimes, it makes sense if you care to place yourself in other peoples' shoes and analyze objectively. now, firstly, their prices online exlcudes gst. now even after gst, it might appear cheaper than the standard walk-in discount they offer. why? wimple. like ed said, the price in the shop has to cover rental, staff salaries and possibly commission, other overheads associated with the shop. thus, a higher mark-up. if sold online, the overheads , namely staff salaries and commission and shop rental might be excluded. cos these overheads are not necessary if sold online. now, if gnomon does not have a shop front, it'll be reasonable for them to apply the website prices as their overheads will be a lot lower.

it's basic economics. but as consumers we tend to be naturally selfish and only look at one side of the story that benefits us and deny the fact that certain overheads are associated with different operations.
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 25 Dec 2013 12:54

Bro, i know where you,re coming from but if they want to do that, they should market their website under a different name altogether. Because end of the day, as consumers, gnomon website and gnomon shop to us are the same thing, same shop, run by the same ppl and should offer equivalent prices.

I have had experience 2 occasions where prices are higher in shop, 1st was when previously their website price is usd$, i took reference of the website price when i went down to buy a watch, but the price was quite different about 15%. When i asked why, the reasons were gst and usd$ conversion. So i said gst is fine but usd$ conversion rate of 1.3 was excessive becjause at that time, the bank rate was Ard ~1.23 approxmiately iirc. So i said, in that case i go exchange usd$ pay them better :) anyway, in the end they offered a discount so i just let it be. 2nd time was when i went to buy nato straps,recently. Again the price i paid is higher than the website, even after they offered a 10% discount.and on top of that, they didn,t offer the 30% discount they were offering online and i bought 3 straps, not just 1. Anyway i was already there so i didn,t want to trouble going home to order online again so i just bought it. And just so yoj know i,m not just flaming, i went home after that and bought another 5 straps online wifh 30% discount after i looked at my watches and thought of some straps i saw there that i thought may look good on them.

As a layman consumer, the price inconsistency is troubling. It makes me just consider buying online from them and not bother to go down to the shop. I would think shops with a physical store would want ppl to go down, because you,ll never know, the may see smth he like and never consider buying but ending up buying after seeing the actual item. That,s even how many shops in sim lim and a particular watch shop in peninsula does to keep ppl coming back :p But anyway, i,m not in a position to tell them how to do their business, it,s just a personal opinion :) no hard feelings. I like their stuff and am not exceptionally price sensitive so i will still continue shopping with them.
rogue_hog wrote:
doinkydoink wrote:

I think ed had hit it right on the nail. its no surprise if the watch is cheaper on gnomon's website than at their shop. sometimes, it makes sense if you care to place yourself in other peoples' shoes and analyze objectively. now, firstly, their prices online exlcudes gst. now even after gst, it might appear cheaper than the standard walk-in discount they offer. why? wimple. like ed said, the price in the shop has to cover rental, staff salaries and possibly commission, other overheads associated with the shop. thus, a higher mark-up. if sold online, the overheads , namely staff salaries and commission and shop rental might be excluded. cos these overheads are not necessary if sold online. now, if gnomon does not have a shop front, it'll be reasonable for them to apply the website prices as their overheads will be a lot lower.

it's basic economics. but as consumers we tend to be naturally selfish and only look at one side of the story that benefits us and deny the fact that certain overheads are associated with different operations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 25 Dec 2013 13:13

Hard feelings? None at all as you are aware, I'm not related to them. It's just that my friends and I are on the verge of starting a biz and we noticed there is a need to differentiate prices.

Actually you are wrong about people with physical shops and online portals. There us actually a popular parallel importer of leather Gouda that us popular with local ladies that actually encourages their customers to purchase online even though they have a shop front.

We have spoken with quite few biz owners in the course of our research. And most actually prefer customers to order online.

End of the day it's how comfortable u are spending your cash.
seiko siao

Post by seiko siao » 25 Dec 2013 13:40

rogue_hog wrote:Hard feelings? None at all as you are aware, I'm not related to them. It's just that my friends and I are on the verge of starting a biz and we noticed there is a need to differentiate prices.

Actually you are wrong about people with physical shops and online portals. There us actually a popular parallel importer of leather Gouda that us popular with local ladies that actually encourages their customers to purchase online even though they have a shop front.

We have spoken with quite few biz owners in the course of our research. And most actually prefer customers to order online.

actually IMHO their customer service is really not up to par,the feel they give me when i enter the shop is like i'm transparent and they dun need my business.

And as you mentioned before in previous post that you do not have privilege or whatsoever when you have bought i think more than a dozen watches from them which sort of irritate me.

for me if i'm a return customer who buys dozen of stuff from them i will expect a much better service as in getting first hand updates,new watch arrival am 1 of the first to view it with the option of buying it before anyone does instead of telling you oh u can see shiok only, it's been taken or reserved which really irk me.

unlike big time where their customer service is quite good from my experience, they makes u feel welcome even thou u tell them that u're just having a look and not buying yet but they willingly took out the watch for you to molest without question asked.

all of the above is just my personal experience with them, take it with a pinch of salt if anyone disagree with what i say as i repeat again it is my PERSONAL experience and opinion on them.
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 25 Dec 2013 14:03

rogue_hog wrote:Hard feelings? None at all as you are aware, I'm not related to them. It's just that my friends and I are on the verge of starting a biz and we noticed there is a need to differentiate prices.

If that,s the case, why not just do away with a physical shop altogether and work from home or soho? I,m running a soho myself and i know how expensive space rental can be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
bish

Post by bish » 25 Dec 2013 14:04

seiko siao wrote:

actually IMHO their customer service is really not up to par,the feel they give me when i enter the shop is like i'm transparent and they dun need my business.

And as you mentioned before in previous post that you do not have privilege or whatsoever when you have bought i think more than a dozen watches from them which sort of irritate me.

for me if i'm a return customer who buys dozen of stuff from them i will expect a much better service as in getting first hand updates,new watch arrival am 1 of the first to view it with the option of buying it before anyone does instead of telling you oh u can see shiok only, it's been taken or reserved which really irk me.

unlike big time where their customer service is quite good from my experience, they makes u feel welcome even thou u tell them that u're just having a look and not buying yet but they willingly took out the watch for you to molest without question asked.

all of the above is just my personal experience with them, take it with a pinch of salt if anyone disagree with what i say as i repeat again it is my PERSONAL experience and opinion on them.
I for one.. second this opinion..

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 25 Dec 2013 14:11

Actually the first few times I was there I agree the feel is a bit strange but fir a start I'm the kind the prefers to be left alone cos mist times I'm not even sure I'm buying and I feel pai seh if a sakes person keeps following me around and I don't buy. So I'm not a good judge. But now they have an additional staff that's overly friendly. HAiz... I prefer not to have preferential treatment to be honest it makes me feel indebted to them.
seiko siao

Post by seiko siao » 25 Dec 2013 14:41

rogue_hog wrote:Actually the first few times I was there I agree the feel is a bit strange but fir a start I'm the kind the prefers to be left alone cos mist times I'm not even sure I'm buying and I feel pai seh if a sakes person keeps following me around and I don't buy. So I'm not a good judge. But now they have an additional staff that's overly friendly. HAiz... I prefer not to have preferential treatment to be honest it makes me feel indebted to them.
no worries,this is just open discussion with personal opinion but the point here is not about preferential treatment to makes u feel indebted to them,all this is about customer service to make u a returning customer and feel like they really care about ur business as a regular customer or becoming a regular customer.

they need not be following u around but makes someone who bought a dozen watch from them to have a slightly more different statues as to serve u drink while u walk around and letting u molest whatever watch u're interested in and talk about the pro and con of the watches that u're interested in and etc.

let me give u an example of what treatment i got from a watch shop,whenever i enter the shop the owner will ask me that have i taken my lunch or dinner, any drinks that i wanted be it kopi or soft drink and when i focus on some watches on display in the glass shelves, it's either they just took out all the different variant for me to have a look or even up to the extent of passing me the showcase key for me to self service and molest whatever watches i wanted to or interested in.

they are times where i'm indecisive whether to get the watch or not enough moolah, the owner will say just take it first and pay when i got the moolah.

and whenever there are watches which u wanted but no stock,the owner will call and order straightaway and u will be notified once the stock arrives.

because of this treatment i get, i become more than a customer with the owner and sending the owner home whenever i'm around that area when they are about to close as the owner stays near me.

but i do not expect gnomon to provide the above to makes me feels like a customer and wat i expect is just a simple customer service like basic acknowledgement when i enter the shop and telling me to approach them when i need help.Just not treating me like 1 of Marvel Super Heroes character(invisibleman).Maybe i'm just 1 poor chap who can't afford to buy new watches.

ok, enuff of the rant here.to each's it own.That's just me and my personal experience.No flaming allowed. :lol: :lol:
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0