panerai vs Rolex

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
antdejo

panerai vs Rolex

Post by antdejo » 01 Jan 2013 00:52

I am thinking of either getting pam 25 or Rolex Daytona. Can't decide. Any views?
rogue_hog

Re: panerai vs Rolex

Post by rogue_hog » 01 Jan 2013 02:48

An in-house movement vs a valjoux. U decide.
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 01 Jan 2013 12:39

rogue_hog wrote:An in-house movement vs a valjoux. U decide.
There are PAM lovers and Rolex lovers and pros & cons of both. No one can answer that better than your self. Plus the 2 models you are comparing are not on equal standing nor price. One's a Chrono, the other a diver. Size also BIG difference. If anyone is willing to give you a direct comparison, I'd take it with a pinch of salt since it should not even be compared. ;)
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 01 Jan 2013 13:11

Cosmograph wrote:
rogue_hog wrote:An in-house movement vs a valjoux. U decide.
There are PAM lovers and Rolex lovers and pros & cons of both. No one can answer that better than your self. Plus the 2 models you are comparing are not on equal standing nor price. One's a Chrono, the other a diver. Size also BIG difference. If anyone is willing to give you a direct comparison, I'd take it with a pinch of salt since it should not even be compared. ;)
Well said. Two very different watches. Actually, you are also comparing a very much sort after (daytona) and a not as popular (panerai) IMHO.

It's your dough, you're the one wearing the watch. You have to decide yourself.
antdejo

Post by antdejo » 01 Jan 2013 15:13

Thanks all for your views. I like panerai more but is rather worried about my passion fading rather quickly for the watch and thereby suffering huge losses upon flipping the pams as I did for my previous watches. Not too much feel for the Daytona but is a much sought after watch for the Rolex sports series and therefore should be able to hold its value well.

I guess I should hold on the purchase for a while and think about it before plunging in.
Mobilenerd

Post by Mobilenerd » 01 Jan 2013 16:07

Frankly buy not because you want to flip.

Daytona wears small on big wrist. For larger 7,5" wrist like mine, the Daytona looks small. But it is good for office wear as the profile is thinner and fits under your cuffs better.
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 01 Jan 2013 21:31

There are two schools of followers.. PAM vs Rollie's

It really depends on which model you love.. Some swear by PAM While others swear by a Rollie. I personally prefer Rollie's than PAM... Hahahhaha.. Personal view
Dsbf

Post by Dsbf » 06 Jan 2013 18:56

Between your 2 choices, i would pick the daytona in a heartbeat. But if it is a pam448, that would be a different story....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rsub99

Post by rsub99 » 07 Jan 2013 20:42

Rolex is my vote.
navik

Post by navik » 07 Jan 2013 21:04

I'll take a rolex over a panerai any day. U can wear the rolex anywhere be it black tie event or casual. I won't dare to wear the panerai as my daily beater
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 13 Dec 2013 00:41

IMHO - hands down it's a Panerai for me. 8-)

PAM 00111 G series :

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 13 Dec 2013 08:18

Buy what you like.

But in my opinion I'll go with the Daytona. I am not a fan of either watch but the Daytona offers more value per $ than the Panerai.
Also If you are worried about resale, Panerai resale prices seem to be taking quite a beating of late and a dealer I talked to was trying to keep his PAM inventory low :| .
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 13 Dec 2013 08:24

Fr panarei imo you should at least get a 312 if you worried about resale value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 13 Dec 2013 17:23

my vote goes to the rolex daytona..
I want to be a one watch guy!!
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 13 Dec 2013 17:33

You will get many different opinions as each camp has its supporters. But value wise, you cannot go wrong with the Rolex Daytona. Again just an opinion.

I have to say, the money is yours to spend, so its your opinion that counts, no?

Have fun.
Hi Beat

Post by Hi Beat » 26 Dec 2013 11:36

Rolex have good return on investment, not sure for P?
yoshiki

Post by yoshiki » 27 Dec 2013 11:35

antdejo wrote:Thanks all for your views. I like panerai more but is rather worried about my passion fading rather quickly for the watch and thereby suffering huge losses upon flipping the pams as I did for my previous watches. Not too much feel for the Daytona but is a much sought after watch for the Rolex sports series and therefore should be able to hold its value well.

I guess I should hold on the purchase for a while and think about it before plunging in.
not sure if you have already made your decision, but with this sentence, i think its better you hold your purchase first. if not much feel for the watch, don't buy it.
yoshiki

Post by yoshiki » 27 Dec 2013 11:37

ShockZone wrote:Rolex have good return on investment, not sure for P?
I think Pam watches hold good value as well, as compared to most other swiss brands in the similar price bracket, take Rolex out of this comparison. ;) Rolex holds value damn well.
kingsky

Post by kingsky » 27 Dec 2013 14:34

I'd say buy a rolex if this is your first expensive watch.
Buy a pam next time when you wanna expand your collection. :D
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 27 Dec 2013 16:27

yoshiki wrote:
antdejo wrote:Thanks all for your views. I like panerai more but is rather worried about my passion fading rather quickly for the watch and thereby suffering huge losses upon flipping the pams as I did for my previous watches. Not too much feel for the Daytona but is a much sought after watch for the Rolex sports series and therefore should be able to hold its value well.

not sure if you have already made your decision, but with this sentence, i think its better you hold your purchase first. if not much feel for the watch, don't buy it.
I agree with Bro yoshiki. You must have the "feel"!

When I was on the hunt for my first Panerai, the Luminor PAM00112, I was obsessed! Then I got my second, the Luminor Marina PAM00111, this was the one that I really liked!

Then came along my first tuna, The Emperor - SBDX011. I really had the feel for it that I sold the Luminor outright in order to get the Emperor. Now I have both The Emperor and the Luminor Marina.

I had to make a sacrifice in order to gain. Since I had not much feel with the Luminor anymore, I had to let her go.

Cheers.