Oris Diver's Date Review

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
balzebub71

Oris Diver's Date Review

Post by balzebub71 » 06 Jan 2014 17:23

Don't really see many Oris watches in the wild, though one of my colleagues swears by them as being really value for money, especially if you buy from online sources.

So i thought i would do a short and simple review here in case any one wants to consider buying one.

As some bros here know, i was hunting for a wave pattern dial watch to reinforce the water element for 2014 8-)
Ironically I recently sold off my co-axial Omega Seamaster in blue. My Omega Seamaster Quartz in black had also been kidnapped by the wife for her exclusive use. So i had to find a replacement and I did not want to spend too much especially since i will be plunking $$ down for my new flat later this year.

My first choice was a Chris Ward C60 Trident, seemed like a good deal- low price, 5 year warranty...but ultimately it looked too much like the bastard off spring between a Seamaster and a Submariner and reports of poor lume and inconsistent QC caused me to look elsewhere.

Enter the Oris Diver's Date 01 733 7533 8555-07 8 24 01PEB, it's blue wave pattern dial and blue bezel called out to me from the display case and upon close inspection, i personally find it a nicer shade of blue compared to the seamaster and the chris ward.

Though it was listed as 44mm, it wears smaller due to the cushion shaped case which was another thing that i liked about this watch, reminds me of seiko divers; the display case back was also another plus point for me as my other divers all come with solid case backs. I wanted something at least a little different from the rest of my watches.

The integrated bracelet was a concern at first as it will mean i will not be able to swap it out for 3rd party straps; but after trying it on, i was sold. The oris bracelet fit well, not too tight and not too loose, the curved lugs made sure the rather thick watch hugged my wrist. Overall it is a high quality bracelet, although the finishing isn't as good as the bracelet on my Hour Vision and Seamaster; but better compared to my Sinn bracelet.

The dial has distinct wave pattern with applied markers and a date window at 6 O'clock which i like. The lume is decent, brighter than my Sinn but inferior when compared to a seiko monster, almost on par with my Seamaster. It stays "lit" throughout the night though not very bright.

Movement in mine is the SW200-1 instead of a ETA 2824-2. Perhaps too early to comment about reliability and accuracy; so far it is keeping time at +6s to +7s per 24 hours when worn for 12 hours a day and kept dial up in my watch box at night. Not excellent, but well within specifications and also within my personal expectations for such a movement.

What is good about this watch:
- Very friendly price for a swiss made watch by a established and reputable brand and still independent i believe
- High level of finishing through out the case, dial and bracelet, top notch for the price
- Unique case shape and design that is more or less Oris, though the wave pattern is a "copy" of the Seamaster, but it is textured differently
- Lume is bright even though the indices and hands are relatively small
- Comfortable bracelet and lug shape, for my wrist at least
- Screw down crown action is smooth and reassuring
- 3 years manufacturer's warranty for peace of mind

What is not so good:
- Wears smaller than the 44mm that it is, perhaps not suitable for bros with bigger wrists
- Too many polished surfaces on the bracelet, bound to be a scratch magnet
- Use of mineral crystal rather than sapphire crystal for the case back
- The "oris" on the crown doesn't line up straight when the crown is screwed down
- Winding action is "raspy" and not buttery smooth, this makes me afraid to manually wind the watch
- Integrated bracelet design restricts this watch to its stock bracelet or rubber strap

Conclusion:
Highly recommended as a smart casual watch, versatile and can be worn with office wear and with jeans/t-shirts on weekends, a very legible dial and unique design. Reasonably priced and punches above it's price category in terms of quality and finishing.

Update:

After some time the timing went crazy to +21s per day. Sent it in for regulation under warranty and now it's been running steady at +1.8s per day for more than a month. So I guess the SW200-1 movement can be regulated to very decent accuracy.

on my wrist
display case back with standard red rotor
lume shot
Last edited by balzebub71 on 21 Jul 2014 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
I want to be a one watch guy!!
big-e-294

Re: Oris Diver's Date Review

Post by big-e-294 » 07 Jan 2014 17:25

Thanks for the effort in sharing.

I always liked Oris. It was the brand that kick started my interest in watches... I saw Keanu Reeves wearing an Oris in the movie Constantine.

Friendsoforis is a good source of info.
I was quite active there before I went siao on Seiko.

Sent from The Force
k1w1

Post by k1w1 » 21 Jul 2014 05:24

Good review mate. I have one of these, but black red bezel along with a helium crown, really should start wearing it more....
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 21 Jul 2014 11:21

Yup. So far quite satisfied with Oris. Planning to add a diver regulator one day

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 21 Jul 2014 12:39

How much har?
giraffe000

Post by giraffe000 » 18 Sep 2014 09:27

very nice watch,thought I'm not a fan of Oris.Loving the green lume.
xzqt

Post by xzqt » 18 Sep 2014 16:32

Oris, its an under rated watch.
The build is actually pretty good.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 18 Sep 2014 18:04

yeah, in fact, the Artix line is nice
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 19 Sep 2014 16:20

Yup oris quite good value. Impressed that after a regulation by Oris, my watch with SW200-1 is running at 1.5 to 2s per day regardless of wear pattern.

Sent via carrier pigeons