Orient 40th Anniversay Reissue of the 469 Cal

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
kqxrseiko

Post by kqxrseiko » 11 Oct 2011 09:35

Just got a very interesting piece hot off the press from Japan - Orient's 40th Anniversary Reissue of the 469 Cal.

But first, my sincerest thanks to Katsu-san from Higuchi for the insanely speedy delivery!!! Ordered the watch on 7 Oct from Japan and received it on 10 Oct in Singapore...fast! Anyway onward to the story (me yakking) and the pics.
==============================================================
Orient is celebrating 40 years of its caliber 469 with a limited edition reissue of its King Diver. There are two models available - one in stainless steel and the other in black IP/PVD finish. These babies were just released on September 23, 2011 and I managed to pick up the black IP/PVD one.

With a tonneau shaped case of 45x51mm, this is a big watch. It also sits fairly tall with a height of about 14mm. On the dial you got the King Diver's characteristic stick hands and internal bezel.

On the right side of the case you got 3 crowns - (1) a quickset day operated by pusher at 2 o'clock, (2) your regular 3 o'clock used to set time and (3) a 4 o'clock crown that operates the rotating internal timing bezel.

Internally, the watch is powered by Orient's cal 469 which is basically a Seiko Cal 7005 that has been modified in house. There are loads of articles around exhorting the value of the movement so let's just say that in its 40 year history the cal 469 has proven to be durable, resilient and reliable.

My only gripe with the watch would be the poorly done bracelet and clasp. Somehow the bracelet doesn't quite inspire the confidence that it can deal with the weight of the watch head. The clasp is of even flimsier construction. But at USD$480 I guess one can't complain too much, it already is a great bargain.

Overall, my initial impressions are good- big, masculine, good solid movement and a rich history. I nicked this off a website..the watch is supposed epitomize kusuguri masu- a burly man's feelings and sense of casual reasonable design. I probably got the translation all wrong but it makes for a laugh. Hah. Enjoy.

Specifications: Cal 469, Day/Date function, black IP/PVD coating, 40hrs power reserve, accuracy of 25 to 15 seconds variation and 200m of water resistance.
lunarin79
CEO

Re: Orient 40th Anniversay Reissue of the 469 Cal

Post by lunarin79 » 11 Oct 2011 11:08

nice review & nice photos as well.

I can never writeup a review like how you guys did,lol.

I think the only downside is the fingerprint marks on the coating IP coating, other than this, the Orient traditional design is still there :)
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
kqxrseiko

Post by kqxrseiko » 21 Oct 2011 18:18

Thanks bro :D
lunarin79 wrote:nice review & nice photos as well.

I can never writeup a review like how you guys did,lol.

I think the only downside is the fingerprint marks on the coating IP coating, other than this, the Orient traditional design is still there :)
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 24 Oct 2011 22:36

Great review.

I really like the hour markers and the whole feel of the vintage look.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 16 Nov 2011 09:11

Stainless steel edition

TheChef

Post by TheChef » 24 Nov 2011 20:55

I hooted the stainless steel version today at Big Time at John Little Expo Sale.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches