[Year End Review]- what i've got for me in 2011...

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
Ed.YEO

[Year End Review]- what i've got for me in 2011...

Post by Ed.YEO » 11 Nov 2011 11:11

Just a look back at the watches i have added to my collection of previously owned watches this year.
This should also serve for my own record, as well as to whom maybe interested...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st purchase- added 25Feb- STEINHART Ocean One Green w/ETA 2824 movement, hacking auto

Ever since the last economy crunch, it takes me quite some time to find a well-paid job. But even if my salary had stabilized, there are just some numbers of outstanding issues to clear. So it took me almost 15mths later to get my first piece, since the last break before 2007.
The last time, when i serve the last company i worked with, i would get myself a TITONI at the year end to signify the time and sacrifice with the organization.
This time round, i eyed upon the brand Steinhart, which i have seen numbers of positive comments from different collectors around the world, leaving me with positive impressions.
Looking at their website catalogue, as well as Gnomon's, majority of the watch design are either too dressy or too soft for me... except their divers range. Divers with Black bezel are just too common, either on Ocean One Black or Vintage Red. I was just a tad too late to join back the watch interest that i had missed the Ocean One with BLUE. So i went ahead with the Green bezel OO. Placed an order with Gnomon, for ten over days, which i didn't expected i would need to wait as Gnomon had listed it as available. Initially a little frustrated over this long period of time wasted, and wanted to cancel my order. When i get the watch finally, all my frustrations are blown off by the attractive construction quality and workmanship of the piece. 10 days waiting time, 12 blue bills are really well worth spent.
On the following begin of next workweek, i happily put on the OOG on my wrist to work, this lasted for the next 2wks or so... until, a Jap colleague from another department says this in the same lift we're in, "What a nice looking Rolex copy...".
Sigh... my Steinhart kenna suan by a worshipper for being a copy... I guess i'll have to put you in the box, bring you out some other time to walk around lo...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd purchase- added 14Apr- SANDOZ diver "Submariner" dual tone, BLACK dial w/ETA 2824 movement, hacking auto

Looking at my "Submariner" which have been with me through thick and thin, tough and relax times, bright and dark period- the 2007 economy crunch down... i keep telling my daily beating partner, "i'll find you a good substitute when times come." So the searching journey begins...
After all this while, i want to look for something that looks well and polished, so i had been looking at the dual toned Sandoz "Submariner" Black at different shops, getting different price quotes. The last time i bought my SS submariner, i paid about SGD$250 for the piece. This time round i was quoted mostly close to 8 blue bills for the dual-toned. Err...okay... sounds reasonable for the gold plating... so i checked with the last shop whom i frequent before the dark period, i'm quoted for 7 blue bills with some extra notes. That's really a good bargain! Hoot Ahh! I immediately ask to take the piece in the showcase, but the seller advise me to wait as he will order for me, collect at other date as he needs that piece for "luring" purpose... Low price quote, 2wks waiting period, where can find such offer else where. I happily take the offer.
Got the watch less than 10days later. After sometime, find that the gold plating is too blinky for my working environment, as well as too high profiled... quit the idea of having this piece to be my daily ticker. This goes into my other collections...

3rd purchase- added 14May- SANDOZ diver "Submariner" dual tone, BLUE dial w/ETA 2824 movement, hacking auto

After i got my black, dual tone submariner on that day in april, i walk towards Mustafa to shop for some grocery, then i stumble across this BLUE dial, dual tone submariner. Alamak... why didn't this piece comes earlier to my sight ley... So i call the Bencoolen guy to check with him, since it's still a little early to him closing shop, he claims that he have no idea about this model, that he have to check with his supplier. "HUH? How come you so not updated one???", this thought comes into my mind immediately. I asked him to take his time to check with his supplier, as i thought that the retail price may not be low, since it is a blue dial.
Got his reply 2wks later(yeah... ... no choice wor, even though under his hand, got another 7 employee to feed, service quality to other customers must not be neglected... too much people look for him for the CASIO G-shock liao lah...), surprise to learn that the price is the same as what paid for the dual tone black last month. The bug in my mind keeps telling me, "This piece must not be missed!"... so placed order, got the piece 1mth later... Now sitting nicely in my box.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th purchase- added 15Jun- SANDOZ diver "Submariner" SS, PEPSI bezel
w/ETA 2824 movement, hacking auto

The last 2 purchase was "too dressy" for my working environment. Hence i will have to be on the trip again to various shops to look for the perfect rookie to replace my near 10yrs old soldier. I've seen the PEPSI numbers of time, thought that the bezel seems quite cheesy to be a rough and tough piece for my replacement. But after some time reading other discussion threads in various forum, it seems to me that the half blue half red bezels really doesn't bothers me much. So i made my mind to get this seeing whether does it fit to be the new recruit.
To my surprise, due to some kind unknown popularity, i was quoted different price, mostly slightly higher price tag for the PEPSI bezel model. So i call up to my regular "supplier" for quotation, got an offer for the same price as the regular black model. Made the order, got the watch in 2wks time. Initially i was surprise why i'm given such a special offer... until i turn my head to his showcase, his "display" piece is not present, i smell something fishy... Then i confirm, this is his display piece, when i look at the bracelet link at the lug noticing the un-usual curve of the link. "KNN"... initially this curse comes into my mind, but i didn't confront him immediately. After all, i need not to pay the extra 3 red bills which i was quoted else where. I smilingly accepted the piece.
Although this is a display piece, to my surprise, not a single scratch or dirt can be found on the main body, casing as well as the bezel. The only pity falls on the clasp hook that seems to be a little loose, perhaps due to frequent open and close when other folks may have tried on their wrist. Disappointment aside, this is a good catch. Did i put it on frequently? Oooo... the heat lasted a few months, until it was cooled down by a cheap gift from China. Sounds weird huh?

5th purchase- added 24Jun- STEINHART Ocean BLACK 42 DLC w/ETA 2824 movement hacking auto

After the last incident, with the Jap Rolex worshipper's comment on my "Green Beret", i didn't put on my 1st STEINHART often, even when i go out. My wrist feels kind of empty. Remembering that i had seen the Ocean Black DLC 42 listed in GNOMONs site before, so i tried my luck to order a piece to see whether will i get the same negative comments of "nice looking Rolex copy". After i got this piece, i'm really so impressed by it's built quality that i brought it out for the first time to "flash" to others...this time round, we met again, nothing came out from him. Ha! This is a keeper!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th purchase- added 11Jul- SANDOZ diver "Submariner" BLACK w/ETA 2824 movement hacking auto

After numbers of months of adding and searching SANDOZ divers, i finally decided to get the Black bezel SS bracelet/case one to be the perfect replacement to my last BLACK bezel SS bracelet/case diver for the next ten years journey. Some minor cosmetic difference were noted, that includes bigger date font(i wonder if it is caused by the curve of the cyclops magnifier on the crystal), and curvy bezel. Otherwise the rest looked the same.

7th purchase- added 11Aug- SEIKO SNZG17k TiCN Military themed TACTICAL w/7s36 movement full auto

My last SEIKO purchase ended with the SKX4xx series of fliegers 9+yrs ago. Ever since then i had stopped keep tracking on the SEIKO designs and developments as there were more and more dressed watches release during this period of long break. It was roughly about a year ago that i see some PVD coated SEIKOs in the market, and ever since then i started on following up on the designs and development again. Numbers of designs caught my eyes, but i didn't make any purchases, due to the doubt on the PVD quality. It was in middle of march that i come to know that there's such a PVD material TiCN used on some SEIKO models, so it took me numbers of months to find out more on TiCN, until i make my purchase @ the VERGE. Ohh the coating is nice, but not really so balanced and as black as my STEINHART DLC. Anyway it still looks good. And this becomes my workday ticker, which i change in alternate days with my Submariner.

8th purchase- added 01Sep- STEINHART Ocean BLACK 44 DLC w/ETA 2824 movement hacking auto

THE BLACK PRESIDENT ARRIVED. No not OBAMA, not President TAN who take over the ISTANA from 1st September onwards. It's the biggest sized BLACK OPS that keep pushing on the lid of my watch box.
Saw this listed in GNOMONs site for couples of months already, but was too hesitated on adding this to what i have then, mostly in 40mm and 42mm. In addition the price tag was over $500U.S.D, how much am i going to pay for this big mutha******? In the end i couldn't fight the bug, in addition that STEINHART germany had put this model into their archive gallery... meaning to say that the production model is cutting down... Order placed, 2wks before September.
Got it on the 1st Sept.
I'm sooooooo blown away by the sapphire bezel, as well as the size! Initially i thought that this piece is going to be too large for my wrist, luckily, it fits well. Ahhh... looks tough, rough, sturdy... too bad i R.O.D already... Otherwise i wonder how does the watch looks when holding on the body of the SAR21.

9th purchase- added 11Sep- SEIKO SNZG17j TiCN Military themed TACTICAL w/7s36 movement full auto

The last purchase of the same model gave me a good impression on the coating quality of TiCN. Although the color is not really as black and balance as my STEINHART DLCs, there are hardly any scratches on the TiCN coatings, especially in my working environment where heavy physical work is constant. The last purchase of SNZG17 was a "K" make. And through various discussion threads and forums, the common comment on "K" and "J" is that there are no quality difference issues.
I'm still having doubt between the K J thingy... so pulled the trigger, got myself the J make from Peoples Park Complex. Take home, study closely, yeah not much difference... but... after a few days of switching between the two, i found that when i shake the K on my wrist... some squeaky sound was heard... seems to be from the rotor, the J does not. The J crown is a little tight when turning to adjust time hands, with minor friction of "gear turning" or "mechanical" feel sensed. The K is very smooth and fluid... hmm... difference huh?

10th purchase- added 01Oct- SANDOZ diver "Yatchmaster" w/ETA 2824 movement hacking auto, blue dial red seconds

I have been keep seeing the "Yatchmaster" models @ Mustafa as well as other shops, mostly with white dial or MOP(mother of pearl) dial. Therefore when i saw the one with Blue dial, couples of days after i got the last SEIKO for the first time, i went back to look for more informations thru the net. @ PMWF.com, this particular blue dial model was listed in their site for some time already, with high price tag... add a few couple of red notes more...i could get myself another STEINHART OCEAN. So i popped the question on the pricing to my regular seller @ Bencoolen. Surprised to learn that the "Yatchmaster" model is about a blue note difference from the last dual toned "Submariner" i previously added to my collection. Don't wait further more, placed the order with request to change the standard gold plated seconds needle to red needle. Got this piece finally!

11th purchase- added 31Oct- SEIKO SRP129 WorldTIMER w/4r36 movement, hacking auto

In the past few months, the heat in SEIKO local community that had been going on for sometime seems to be the "FF" modding craze, where buying the SNZH55, 57 together with custom dial purchased elsewhere, produces a homage to the original BLANCPAIN's FIFTY FATHOMS divers watch. I was hesitant to go along with the craze, as i found out that the movement used is the same old 7s36 which was used in my SNZG17 Tactical as well as the old fliegers which i had for 9+yrs.
Then saw this model SRP125(originally blue bezel, blue dial, SS bracelet/case) @ Peoples Park Complex just 2wks before i finally get my BLACK piece. After a thorough search thru the net for the PVD version model number, i place the order and got my piece from the new seller recommended thru this forum @ TANJONG KATONG SC.

12th purchase- added 01Nov- SANDOZ diver "Submariner" BLUE w/ETA 2824 movement, hacking auto

After the last 2 Blue dial SANDOZ, i thought that that was the end of all my targets, until i saw the BLUE dial SS "submariner" @ Mustafa 2wks after i got the "Yatchmaster". I have not seen a blue dial diver from SANDOZ before except the last 2, dual tone "Submariner" and the dual tone "Yatchmaster". Ohh...the diver obsession bug bites on my mind again, "this must be a limited release", keeps running in my mind. So again, pulled out my phone, message to the Bencoolen guy, in the middle of the night(@ 0300hrs?!!!), send in the query about this model. Received the answer following day, told that ALL SANDOZ DIVERS will get retail jack up on retail price from 1st NOV. onwards. This will be the last time for me to get SANDOZ divers at the same old price i get this year, so i have to make up my mind, no waiting. My order goes! 2 shots in one time. One for this. Another "Yatchmaster" for my upcoming bird-day.
This! Looks really good... Noticed that the blue dial is lighter than the previous dual tone "Submariner" and "Yatchmaster".

13th purchase- added 27Nov- TITONI Cosmo 2k w/ETA 28** movement, hacking auto

When the news of fellow forum members favorite hunting ground, KHENG WAH closing down broke out, there was roughly more than a week of discussion on what are the bargains available from KW to hunt for.
I had passed by the shop several times during my visit to PENINSULAR Plaza periodically, didn't know that KHENG WAH carries TITONI as well, until one of the forum brudder here mentioned that a couple had bought a pair of TITONI there.
I had been looking out for TITONI with RED Blossom logo since my last purchase that ended abt 5yrs ago. So when i saw TITONI with RED Blossom displayed there, i just couldn't hold my trigger anymore and shoots about $550 of bullets to get this piece... after a long while of hesitation, as the watch is decorated with crystals around the sapphire glass, which make it look just too soft for a big man like me.
Well... now it's with the rest of the Red Blossom family...

14th purchase- added 02Dec- SANDOZ diver "Yatchmaster" w/ETA 2824 movement hacking auto, MOP dial red seconds

This piece was ordered during the end of October before the price of all SANDOZ divers goes up from 1st November onwards, where it had been a month now from then.
Initially i was hesitating on the ordering of this piece, as the MOP dial seems kind of too soft for a big guy's wrist. The retailer quoted me a same price as the BLUE DIAL "YATCHMASTER" that was bought months back, keep emphasizing that the price from November onwards will be much higher. With much consideration, i message to him back in the middle of the night to place and order for this piece.
Today, when i picked up the order and put it to my wrist, i realize that the MOP dial doesn't soften my character much...thanks to the change of the seconds needle to red.
Now the whole of SANDOZ divers family is completed...i guess i won't be looking at the SANDOZ divers from now till perhaps the next 5 or 10yrs... Hopefully the brand will still stand strong by then. CIAO!

15th purchase- added 16Dec- UHR-261 Auto Chrono w/ETA Valjoux 7750 movement hacking auto, date wheel only

All the while in the watch collection journey, i had always been wanted to get an auto-chrono as i have been bored by those that are running in quartz movement, which is found in most of my SWATCH and other SWISS chronos. The average price of SWISS Auto Chronos were very high in the past ten years... with some models starts from SGD$1.8k and on. That's just too high for me to spend on a watch, as i'm not a brand pursuing guy, but rather believes on the value of a complex SWISS mechanical movement.
It was until a year and the half ago, long before i join WUS and other watch interest forums, i have seen the mention of UHR name in several discussion threads, mostly buzzing about their ultra low priced Valjoux 7750 timepiece. The draws more interest from me and keen on seeing their frequent updates on their product then.
Why now? After 18mths later?
Till the end of last month, i still have no idea on how internet purchase works, even though i have 3 different debit cards on hand. In addition, when i(or we, whoever it applies) am exposed to a new name in the market, will always have some kind of reserve on the quality or reliability of a new brand. To be frank, most asian consumers would always put their trust on the good old names.
So... i placed my order with UHR for this piece @ the end of November. Then waited with long neck for the arrival of this piece, that takes more then 10(14 to be exact) working days to reach my wrist.
I gotta say...this is one well lume decorated in an amazing price!!!

All after the whole year, the score is....
tada....

SWISS 12 to 3 JAPS

Well... the whole year, 15 watches in total!
The last addition of the auto-chrono also signifies my direction tuning to another complex movement watches in years to come.

Now... i shall get into planning on what makes to get the next year!
Last edited by Ed.YEO on 30 Dec 2011 00:31, edited 4 times in total.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Seamlesslink

Re: [Year End Review]- what i've got for me in 2011...

Post by Seamlesslink » 01 Dec 2011 10:51

Should get an 18 watch box.. Which means you got 5 more to go :)

Great collection btw
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Dec 2011 22:38

Seamlesslink wrote:Should get an 18 watch box.. Which means you got 5 more to go :)

Great collection btw
I had been wanted to get a 18pc box from TOY OUTPOST lehh... but whenever i go to the shop, it always seems that i'm too late that the stocks are always sold out...
5 watch in 1mth period? I can do that unless my bonus comes early lor... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Dec 2011 23:04

new addition to original post!