Encounter with Goh Seo Choon

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 21 Feb 2012 09:35

After much thought, I decided to try out Goh Seo Choon service. (ref http://yeomansweblog.wordpress.com/2007 ... tch-maker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "

I had a seiko handwind which wasn't smooth during winding so I decided to take it to Goh Seo Choon (Mr Goh) to get it checked out.
Upon arrival, he took a look and decided that the crown wheel and ratchet wheel had to be changed as the "teeth were worn", and he would try to source for parts, I decide to take the plunge and see what Mr Goh could do to help the situation.

1 week passed and I visited the shop 3 times, he closes early (during weekdays) and as I was working could only reach the shop around 6pm (twice it was closed) even though it is clearly written on the signboard and on his receipt that he closes at 8pm on weekdays .

Finally mananged to get to the shop before it closed, and Mr Goh said he was unable to find the parts, ok that's the risk of old watches . I asked him details on the issue, is it both wheels that need changing or only one of them (I was willingly to source the parts myself) , he then said it's "impossible" to find that parts and most parts on the internet don't fit, regardless I pressed on for more info, then he shocked me by saying he didn't even try to find the parts as it was not possible to get them. He did not even take a look at the watch during the time the watch was with him. I took the watch back and thought to myself that he could have saved all the trouble by not taking the watch in the first place ....

Anyway I went home and open the caseback to take a look. I found the click out of position and guess that it might have been the cause, so I did some research and looked at the demos/videos for the click on the ETA/Unitas 6497 (closes handwind movement that is still widespread). Finally I unscrewed the click, repositioned it back and now the winding is much smoother !!!

I know that Mr Goh has an attitude which I was prepared to put up with, but I expected a little more professionalism on looking into watch issue rather than "giving up" after taking it in for repair. I also start to question his knowledge on watch repair since this was a simple fix I did myself ....

Time to put on my flame resistant suit ....
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
feilong108

Re: Encounter with Goh Seo Choon

Post by feilong108 » 21 Feb 2012 09:54

Thanks for sharing your experience Bro Eawtan...

will avoid the mentioned place with a 20 feet pole....

Thanks again for the info....

i cannot understand how come veteran watch repairmen generally have attitude toward paying customers...esp those who are not regulars...

Well....all i can say is i feel for you bro eawtan as i had encountered a similar situation many years ago for my vintage omega bumper movement watch but not with this water repair man lar...
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 21 Feb 2012 10:26

there's always a first time........& it always will be the last :lol:
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 21 Feb 2012 11:01

I keep mixing up Mr. Elder GOH and Mr. Younger GOH... 哪个是哪一个?Until i notice the name printed on K2 name card... ohhh... Mr. GOH-Young is the one @ K2 while Mr.GOH-Older is the one @ GCC(Goo Chia Chui)...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 21 Feb 2012 19:13

That's sad to hear. Expect people in the service industry to have customer service. But IMHO. Thanks for the update and appreciate the sharing with fellow seikoists.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 21 Feb 2012 21:24

I fix your Seiko, I can only charge you $50 ? $100 you probably walk away.

Now, you bring a Rolex, I can charge you easily $300 and you walk away smiling like you won 4D because RSC quote you $800.

End of the day, they are running a business, they are not driven by passion. Sad to say, there isn't much watchmakers with a passion here.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 21 Feb 2012 21:25

Another point to note, good watchmakers can make their own parts. Almost an non-existent in Singapore.
Not as active.
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 21 Feb 2012 23:03

roo7 wrote:I fix your Seiko, I can only charge you $50 ? $100 you probably walk away.

Now, you bring a Rolex, I can charge you easily $300 and you walk away smiling like you won 4D because RSC quote you $800.

End of the day, they are running a business, they are not driven by passion. Sad to say, there isn't much watchmakers with a passion here.
I have prev paid S$190 to service a seiko + nos replacement part ... (different shop which did a fanatastic job)
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 21 Feb 2012 23:17

eawtan wrote:
roo7 wrote:I fix your Seiko, I can only charge you $50 ? $100 you probably walk away.

I have prev paid S$190 to service a seiko + nos replacement part ... (different shop which did a fanatastic job)
I remember I walked past his shop before and ask if he service russians, his reply, just buy a new one, it's cheaper. :? I won't go there again.
Not as active.
fireal

Post by fireal » 26 Feb 2012 00:09

roo7 wrote:
eawtan wrote:
I remember I walked past his shop before and ask if he service russians, his reply, just buy a new one, it's cheaper. :? I won't go there again.

but it makes sense :lol:
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
Yeoman

Post by Yeoman » 27 Feb 2012 21:50

:o Why go to Goh Seo Choon when we have been recommending K2?
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 27 Feb 2012 22:28

Yeoman wrote::o Why go to Goh Seo Choon when we have been recommending K2?
Try out 2nd source ....
devil00

Post by devil00 » 27 Feb 2012 23:36

Yeoman wrote::o Why go to Goh Seo Choon when we have been recommending K2?
Senior Goh got appear on newspaper before ma but ......

The attitude and service is -100 feedbacks to me.. Went once not gotta go back again :)
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 22 May 2012 18:02

I called Mr. Goh Snr a couple of years back for a simple enquiry and he sounded like a D*CK.I didn't even bother to pay him a visit.

There can only be on (Seiko) Goh in our lion city. Go figure which one.

Ciao,
Tele
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 23 May 2012 08:36

telepgm wrote:I called Mr. Goh Snr a couple of years back for a simple enquiry and he sounded like a D*CK.I didn't even bother to pay him a visit.

There can only be on (Seiko) Goh in our lion city. Go figure which one.

Ciao,
Tele
:lol: :lol:
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 17 Aug 2012 20:54

Junior Goh from K2 is the best in my opinion. However, my friend prefers Senior Goh, as his charges are cheaper.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 15 Oct 2012 08:44

Funny that I only see this thread now and thus decided to post

Older Goh (吴小春 aka goh xiao choon) has an attitude problem but frankly he is ok. I visited him numerous times Liao.... Even the most recent one to fix my mum's vintage Seiko quartz watch where the board obviously has burnt. He say he will try to find... No guarantee and ask me to call back few days later.... Which I did. He said he found it and charges me $38. I had checked at least 5-6 watch shops and was quoted the minimum $68. As my mum really treasure the watch for memorial purpose, I went down to GXC which is my last resort.

Price wise he is cheap... He is also a no nonsense person... Do it or not up to u. But he is generally ok.. That's the reason why people are still going back to him

My two cents worth of feedback... He is really not so bad
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 16 Oct 2012 17:47

Vinc04 wrote:Funny that I only see this thread now and thus decided to post

Older Goh (吴小春 aka goh xiao choon) has an attitude problem but frankly he is ok. I visited him numerous times Liao.... Even the most recent one to fix my mum's vintage Seiko quartz watch where the board obviously has burnt. He say he will try to find... No guarantee and ask me to call back few days later.... Which I did. He said he found it and charges me $38. I had checked at least 5-6 watch shops and was quoted the minimum $68. As my mum really treasure the watch for memorial purpose, I went down to GXC which is my last resort.

Price wise he is cheap... He is also a no nonsense person... Do it or not up to u. But he is generally ok.. That's the reason why people are still going back to him

My two cents worth of feedback... He is really not so bad
+1.

Senior Goh is a kind man. He helped me search high and low for a crystal for my father's first Seiko watch. He charged me cheap cheap despite all his effort. Kudos to Senior Goh. By the way, this watch was bought in 1970 and handwind movement never needs any servicing. Watch is still very accurate. Kudos to Seiko too!!

"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 16 Oct 2012 19:11

Same for my mum SEIKO quartz ladies watch. It was a piece she owned for 20over years and bought by my late father.. But typically old aunties won't want to spend too much money to repair it. After listening to it, senior Goh says he will try to find.. Really nothing to say for him.

But I noticed one thing.. Don't bargain price with him. I believe he is aware his price is cheapest in the industry and thus once u bargain... His attitude problem come Liao... If u Sui Sui just pay him his price.. He will be very professional... Hahahahahhaah
Mstallone723

Post by Mstallone723 » 24 Oct 2012 12:25

Just wanna say ; Mr Goh from K2 is the best! Good service with a smile :)