StrapCode (Tungchoy) Super Oyster Type II

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
pegasi

StrapCode (Tungchoy) Super Oyster Type II

Post by pegasi » 09 Jun 2012 22:17

I bought a seiko SKX007J for the second time some weeks ago. This time I bought one in rubber strap with the intention of fitting it with a "super oyster" I saw used by many seiko owners on the various forums. Did some quick research and found out that there are at least 3 types of the so called super oyster with SEL currently available.

1. WJean Super Oyster Type II
2. Yobokies Super Oyster Evo S
3. StrapCode (Tungchoy) Super Oyster Type II

At frist I was trying to get a used one and so I put up a WTB post. Waited few weeks, no luck, hence decided to order a new one.

WJean's seems to have the best feedback from users, but it is shipped from Canada and so lead time is very long, so I read.

Yobokies' is very popular too, with price close to Wjean's, and is shipped from HK. The problem is that the ordering process is not user friendly. I got some info from bro roo7 here, but was put off by the lack of info in it's photobucket catalogue - no price stated and have to place order via email.

So in the end turned to StrapCode (also from HK) which I had a good experience when I bought a mesh from them. Price is significantly lower than the other two, plus they are giving 10% dicount for (or if you claim you are) SG-ROC memebrs. Happily ordered, and it arrived in 10 days. I immediately fit in onto the watch, and have tried wearing it on-and-off for a few days now. Since I saw quite a bit of reviews and comments in other forums on the WJean's and Yobokies' but not the Tungchoy one, I decided to share a quick review here.

There were a lot of discussions on how well the profile of the end link aligns with the lugs for every type of super oyster, so I will start from this point. The end link aligns pretty well on the top part, but does not follow the curve all the way. In the pic below you can see what I mean.

But the slight imperction is hardly visible, unless you specifically check on it in close range at certain angle. This is a front view.
The endl ink as well as all other links are nicely brushed, and are joined by screwed-in bars from the 4th links of each side, hence it can be sized to fit the smallest adult wrist.

The clasp is advertised to be a original diver's clasp, but non seiko signed. No diver extention, so that reflects in the price. Easy to use, just like most seiko diver clasp.

Finally, the feel of wearing it on the wrist is very good, very solid and hold the watch very well on the wrist, both in and out the water. The watch and bracelet passed the dive test on a few occasions into water as deep as 2m (no this is not a typo error).

All in all it is very good value for money, and complement the SKX007 very well. The only issue is that, it is very difficult to pull out the bars after I unscrewed them. I had to try many time and very hard to pull each bar out during resizing the bracelet. As a result I took almost half an hour to resize the bracelet and broke two of my figure nails. The good thing is I only have to do it once.

Hope this review is useful for those wanting to buy a super bracelet for their seiko divers.
jorgegc

Re: StrapCode (Tungchoy) Super Oyster Type II

Post by jorgegc » 17 Sep 2012 20:38

hello.
im looking for a super oyster for the skx007 but i dont know wich one to get (yobokies, wjean or strapcode)
id like to know if the quality on stracode´s is as good as the other 2.
I was wondering which of those 3 super oyster would fit 6.5 inches wrist.
Thanks.
pegasi

Post by pegasi » 09 Dec 2012 16:10

jorgegc wrote:hello.
im looking for a super oyster for the skx007 but i dont know wich one to get (yobokies, wjean or strapcode)
id like to know if the quality on stracode´s is as good as the other 2.
I was wondering which of those 3 super oyster would fit 6.5 inches wrist.
Thanks.
Sorry haven't logged in here for a while. Personally haven't used the yobokies or wjean version before so can't answer your first question.

I believe all 3 would fit 6.5" or even smaller wrist, as this 3rd-party straps suppliers want to reach out to as many customers as possible.
Kramer

Post by Kramer » 11 Dec 2012 22:04

planning to hoot one soon.. did you face any issues mounting it?
Check my blog out here!
pegasi

Post by pegasi » 05 Jan 2013 15:31

Kramer wrote:planning to hoot one soon.. did you face any issues mounting it?
No problem, it was easy.
abib

Post by abib » 13 Jan 2013 19:11

I got this as well and it feels awesome except that there is one screw in a particular link that keeps coming loose (due to movement of the strap?) and falls out from time to time. Anyone else faces this problem as well? Any quick fix solution (besides tightening the screw constantly)?
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 13 Jan 2013 21:38

Abib, you can drop a little nail polish in the hole before screwing.

Sent from my KVH Tracphone V3 using Tapatalk 2
abib

Post by abib » 13 Jan 2013 22:39

Serious?? haha ok i try that tomorrow
Clone

Post by Clone » 25 Jan 2013 13:50

Would these sell faceless be god alternatives to the stock rubber?
Watchman

Post by Watchman » 14 Apr 2013 10:51

It look perfectly matched. Thank for sharing this!
OilnGas

Post by OilnGas » 16 Apr 2013 13:59

what about Seiko oyster bracelet ? is it comparable with this 3 brands of Oyster?