[Year End Review]- What have i got myself in 2012...

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
Ed.YEO

[Year End Review]- What have i got myself in 2012...

Post by Ed.YEO » 12 Dec 2012 00:00

Just a look back at the watches i have added to my collection of previously owned watches this year.
This should also serve for my own record, as well as to whom maybe interested...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st purchase- added 25 Jan- UHR461 200m Diver's Auto Chrono w/ETA 7750 Automatic movement

This year marks my directional turn towards the more complex workhorse movement of mechanical automatic chronographs, with the last purchase of the UHR261 that came in last December.
I didn't know that all the while, there's such Auto-Chrono available only thru the German page in UHR website. If i had found it out earlier, i could have got this model for 399euro before the cost of ETA movement started to go up north in mid 2010. I emailed to UHR salesperson, and asked him for direction on how to order for this model, and commented to him that International buyers will not know the certain existence of UHR models in he international english page. This is where they started to update on all language pages, which they had not done earlier.
Eventually the package arrives, and this is the first Mechanical Chronograph with diving specs that i have ever owned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd purchase- added 09 Feb- UHR291 the "Rally Sport" Auto Chrono w/ETA 7753 Automatic movement

The 2nd Automatic Chronograph i target this year, comes with ETA7753 movement, with subdials located @ 3,6,9 positions, just like what i have seen on some other higher end Auto-Chronos. This was also the one that eventually comes in a bumpy ride as the initial piece that came to me was fitted with defective movement. So... by the time i got it changed with new unit from UHR, it had already passed February. The initial impression i have on this piece, was, big! Yes... BIG, and this is the one and only biggest case size watch i have in my collection then. How about the look then? To be frank... it looks some kind of dull to me... Large, glossy black dial with decorations of yellow hour indices, and moderate broadness hands that doesn't seems to be off proportion with the dial size... and with limited Water Resistance specs... This is much like a sports watch, but not suitable for water related activities. Hence, the thought of car racing comes into the mind. And this car race, will most likely not on asphalt tracks...due to the lack of carbon pattern printed on the dial. This is why i named it as Rally Sport Chrono. With this first large sized casing timepiece added to my collection, it also opens that door for me to welcome any other big sized watches in the future.

3rd & 4thpurchase- added 21 Feb- SEIKO SNN233, Snn237 Black Military Chronographs w/7T94 quartz movement

For the past few months, i had been pointing directions to other forum members on where to get these Seiko Quartz Chronos with Black PVD case and bracelets locally in Singapore. However, it's kind of strange that i did not buy these 2 models when the price was low and ultra budget friendly... Months passed, and after being haunted by the wrist shot pictures uploaded by few members here... i couldn't resist the temptation. Took the plunge, and bagged 2 in a shot. The first thing that captures my sight was not the PVD casings and bracelets. It's the sword shaped hands which one is framed with bright Orange and the other White. As a Chinese, i'm a chap that grows up with martial arts themed television series and movies until this age. The 2 sword hands immediately triggers an urge for me to write a ultra short martial arts sword fighting themed story, that's too embarrassing to be posted in the international forums. However... the sword hands are not the key attraction of both watches. The hands, and the balance layout of the markers... are ease for most collectors eyes. These 2 had now become weekday beater that i won't feel pain if they're to be scratched and bashed.

5th purchase- added 21 Apr- SEIKO SSC019 Techie Diver from EAST w/V175 Solar Quartz movement

The Diver's Solar Chrono had been released for a certain time since the last December, and it's a fresh experience for me to come across a Japanese diver chrono with Solar powered movement. 4 different variants were released then, and each of them are too attractive to move my eyes away whenever i see these displayed in different showcase. But among the 4, this blue dialed variant is just too interesting to miss. As the others are mostly black dialed, just like most of the commercially available Solar panel that we may have seen. When the price becomes more budget friendly 4 moths later, i immediately bagged the blue dialed SSC019 with PEPSI bezel. Aww... Once i put it on my wrist, i had forgotten about the 2 PVD Chronos which i had bought 2 months ago... This piece had also brought a lot of attention in my work place, be they are internal colleagues, or external clients, all asked me where did i get this piece, and will i be able to get it for them. Whoa!!! What a response!!! Even the Japanese senior staffs are wowed! Heehehehe... This become my Friday beater as well...

6th purchase- added 30 Jun- STEINHART Nav.B2 Limited Silver Edition Chrono w/ETA 7750 Automatic movement

Looking back on my previous collection of STEINHART watches, it seems that the 3 watches that i bought last year are all sporty diver watches. Chronographs which had received lots of attentions from collectors in various forums, seems to be missing in mine. In June,STEINHART came up with a release of their "annual" mid-year Limited Edition with the Limited Silver Edition Nav.B Chrono. So i took the shot, place an order for it as a 1st STEINHART Chrono to be added to my collection. I really have to hand it to the photographer employed by STEINHART who took the studio pictures for the promo album. When i received the package, yeah... as the name of the watch implies, "Silver Edition" with satin Silver finished dial with hint of streaks of "Sunburst" lines from the center of the dial depending on the reflection of the light. A large contrast to the pictures which i have seen in in STEINHART album, "White PANDA with Black eyed subdial". Instead, i had got a "German Silver PANDA with Black eye"... duh... what a bummer i got myself into...
Anyway, I wasn't too sadden by the different dial which i had got myself fooled to believe in to be. The casings, movement, as well as the diamond crown is really something that's different from what i had before. As days passes, i fell for this piece more and more deeply, in addition to my discovery on the charming personality of the silver dial... through the reflection of lights in different environment, creates different colors on the dial! Woah!!! This makes me give more love to the "Silver German PANDA"!

7th purchase- added 26 Jul- UHR355 My 1st Chronograph..."iWc homage" w/ETA7750 Automatic movement

Ever since i came into this hobby, i had always been hearing and seeing hobbyist talks about the IWC PORTUGUESE Chrono and it's growing numbers of fans world wide. For i moment i just couldn't understand what's that charm about that's winning more and more attentions from mid-end players, as well as a goal for beginners to reach, for i had been biased toward sporty timepiece with rugged specs. I recalled i saw something that look like a homage to the PORTUGUESE in UHR's catalogue before, so, i placed an order for it, just to see what was the charm behind the simple layout dial that even other makers such as HAMILTON is making another PORTUGUESE homage.
The package arrived, and once i unbox, i begin to understand why the PORTUGUESE was so well loved. In a certain way, like the ORIENT Bambino as well as the TISSOT VISIODATE, the combination of the simplicity of the hands, indexes as well as the not so complex design case, makes the overall image of the watch simple, yet a classic piece that will not die along with trend as time passes. A true classic.

8th purchase- added 10 Sep- Steinhart 100WR APOLLON Chrono w/ETA 7750 Automatic movement

The last acquisition of the STEINHART Nav.B LSE Chrono had left me a great impression with STEINHART's effort in maintaining good built quality to justify it's price. But, my focus had always been biased towards sporty models. And during this time, the APOLLON Chrono had been released into the market for close to a year. With it's sporty Water Resistance specs, i had long planned to add this to my collection. And the day comes, after some bumpy rides from STEINHART which i encountered with their order processing. It took me more than a month to have this piece contents fully gathered, as the initial shipment was not complete in a single process. Duh...
Anyway, this is a great all rounder that's sporty, rugged and can be subtle when the bezel get a change. A 1st great all rounder!

9th purchase- added 10->11->12->- Steinhart GRAN PRIX Limited Edition Chrono w/ETA 7750 Automatic movement

The STEINHART GRAND PRIX Chrno project was announced sometime back in November last year or so. During that time, i was quite sadden that according to the information given, the watches are only opened for order to those people who're participating with the GRAND PRIX event. Duh... after some months had passed, and seeing other folks who had successfully purchase a piece for themselves, i mind was filled with envies and speechless envies. However, the envy ends when i noticed that one of the local forum member had successfully got himself a piece. This is like a hint of light in a dark tunnel, which made me rush to get the guide from that lucky chap on how to get this special release. Eventually, i managed to place an order for this, and to my surprise, the number allocated to me also reflects my birth date that's coming in weeks time! However... STEINHART order processing team made a small hiccup, sent in my order 3 weeks earlier from my actual birthday.
When i opened that package...I'm speechless... A piece of Chronograph so charming that it cools off my agitation over the early arrival. And it's also the charm, that got me received positive compliments which compared to TAG HEUER CARRERAs and OMEGA Planet Oceans, when i brought this newly acquired piece during one of the office day. All these compliments that i received, were not the only reason that made me treasure this piece... it's the coincidence and luck as well as fate that brought me and this piece together, by hard chance.

10th & 11th purchase- added 21 Nov- SEIKO SSC017, SSC021 Techie Diver from EAST w/V175 Solar Quartz movement

7 months later, after i brought the blue dial Solar Diver Chrono to join my collection of the other watches, this piece had been with me to various place, including office and other activities. I get quite a number of positive response and looking from the others. When i tell them the general diving specs, it draws their attentions and interests more. Although i felt great with all these attentions and interests, i felt something was missing... how about it's fellow "brothers" which were released in the same time as well? They also look great... except that their dials are mostly black. But each of them possess certain qualities that also cannot be missed. So, i call up to one of the seller i know for a certain time, check with him on the stock availability of the other "brothers", placed a deposit upon his confirmation, and wait. This day comes, the other 2 "brothers" unite. And my blue diver will not be lonely then.

12th & 13th purchase- added 12 Dec- SEIKO SSC015, SSC019 Techie Diver from EAST w/V175 Solar Quartz movement

It's Day12-Month12-Year12. The day when one last "brother" of the TECHIE SOLAR DIVER family unites. Along with it, a twin "brother" to the Blue Dial diver which i had for the past numbers of months. Now, the "Band of Solar Diver Brothers" is complete!

14th purchase- added 12 Dec- SWATCH YAS402 NOIR de NOIR "BAMBINO homage?" with toned down ETA2841 movement

I was going to get a ORIENT BAMBINO to conclude the collection for the year. While browsing around, this piece in SWATCH showcase caught my attention with it's simple design. After trying it out, it left me a positive impression that i might have missed numbers of releases from SWATCH for years. This piece now turns into my turning point of the direction to go next year! More attentions will be paid to SWATCH Mechanicals in 2013!
All after the whole year, the score is....
tada....

SWISS 7 to 7 JAPS

Ooops... it's not the end of the year yet... there's still 3 more weeks to go till the end of this year.
Hmm... just wondering, will there be some more addition within these few weeks?
Last edited by Ed.YEO on 13 Dec 2012 00:13, edited 3 times in total.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
funksoulava

Re: [Year End Review]- What have i got myself in 2012...

Post by funksoulava » 12 Dec 2012 00:41

Nice summary and collection. Can PM me where to get the UHR355 as well as price? Looks very, very nice =)
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 12 Dec 2012 00:46

http://www.uhr.info/products/en/Chronog ... R-355.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One particular spot on the dial you may notice, on the dial, where the white spot maybe, is not the origin of the dial, but a reflection of light. Just to point out.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
funksoulava

Post by funksoulava » 12 Dec 2012 00:52

Thanks Ed! It's very very poisonous.......... =p
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 12 Dec 2012 14:11

+1 on the UHR
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 12 Dec 2012 14:22

nice annual summary bro :mrgreen:
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 12 Dec 2012 14:54

lunarin79 wrote:nice annual summary bro :mrgreen:
:shy: :shy: :shy:
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 12 Dec 2012 14:56

Congrats Ed ! And it's always a joy to do stock take plus review of the purchases. Best of all, is to enjoy them on your wrist or for pure ogling! :mrgreen:
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
funksoulava

Post by funksoulava » 12 Dec 2012 15:18

Cosmograph wrote:Congrats Ed ! And it's always a joy to do stock take plus review of the purchases. Best of all, is to enjoy them on your wrist or for pure ogling! :mrgreen:
Agree with what Cosmograph mentioned. Posts with pictures of watches are commonplace. It's the story behind the aquisition process that makes an interesting read.
dragonboat02

Post by dragonboat02 » 14 Dec 2012 18:56

Great summary bro.. Enjoyed the read! :)
guyvers

Post by guyvers » 31 Dec 2012 14:48

that's beautiful................
skitter
Freshies

Post by skitter » 26 Feb 2013 16:58

Am new to watches myself. And seeing the collection you have amassed in just 1 year, I'm motivated! WHOA!