Review: Invicta S1 Dragon Silver/Chrome: 15862

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 10:38

Prelude: I first saw the Invicta S1 Dragon in Rose Gold and Yellow Gold in a shop in Hong Kong in 2012. I found the design of the watch audacious, ferocious and, to be honest, a little ridiculous. Who on earth would anyone fancy wearing a 44mm chunk of steel with a gangster-dragon-bling-bling with on Green/Black Rubber Strap?Image

When I found out it was only sold as a pair at SGD 1,000, I was turned off and walked away. I thought that was the end of it.

Fast forward to 2014, I saw the same pair still for sale in the same shop in Hong Kong. I thought, “See? It’s a blooming ridiculous pair and no one will freaking buy them”. The young shop keeper remembered me as the same guy who was looking at both the S1 in 2013. Sensing that I may be sincere in purchasing them, he told me he could cut me a deal by breaking up the pair and sell it at SGD400 each and I thought, “hey, wait a minute, that’s 20% discount without bargaining and that’s not a bad deal.”
The shopkeeper took out both the variants and I put it on my wrist just to give a try; it felt real chunky and but I thought, “man it’s not as ridiculous after all”. For the next couple of the minutes, the S1 just sits very comfortably on my left wrist and the soft (but yet sturdy) rubber strap started sinking in my skin. I was really getting into the groove of the S1 and the contemplation was driving me crazy. But alas, the both the rose and yellow (gold) just didn’t match my skin tone and I couldn’t see myself giving her enough wrist time. So, I walked away from both the S1s for the second time in Hong Kong.Image

Fast forward to 2015 (3 years later), I had a few friendly exchange brother Ed. Yeo about the Titoni Dragon Masterpiece with Chronometer Cert; I immediately thought of the S1 again. While the cost of the Titoni with her fancy-schmancy specs and country of origin was approximately SGD3000; I really couldn’t bring myself to spending SGD 3000 on a “Mei-Hwa-Mark” (nick name for Titoni in Singapore: Mei Hwa is Plum Blossom Flower in Chinese and Mark is a colloquia for “logo” Hence "Plum Blossom Flower Logo" watch”; knowing that I can score a decent vintage Rolex like a 16014 for the same price. So that idea was put on hold.Image

The reality arrived while I was surfing casually on Carousell (an online trading post platform in Singapore) couple of weeks later.

I found the used S1 for sale, this time in Silver/Chrome. I never knew the model comes in silver and chrome and was very intrigued to further explore. After all, Asian-Chinese “yellow” skin tone suits Silver/Chrome a better IMHO. After negotiating to a price that both the seller and I are comfortable with, we convened in a common ground…and the rest is a mystery…Image

The dial: The evenly brushed slope-down chapter ring with the 00-55 print and the white round “nipple” indicators gives the watch a sporty but majestic feel to it; the sheer size of 44mm definitely played a part. The slope-down chapter ring also gives the watch a mini-amphitheatre/arena feel to it: imagine stadium seats around the arena with a field with a gigantic silver dragon in the middle. You can even watch a gladiator battling a lion or two and getting killed rather pathetically in the ground with a ferocious dragon Sculpture. Image

This description is abstract, but I am artsy-fartsy and airy-fairy. Shoot me.

At the 5-6 o’clock, it indicates W/R 100MT (MT for meter?) and 6-7, “automatic”. Chrome Minute / Second Hand with white lume to match the whole silver/chrome theme. Overall functional, and it helps tell time easily.Image

The Dragon engraving on the dial is the absolute highlight of this watch. The two crystals (I’ll be damn if they are diamonds) are set as eyes on the majestic creature of auspiciousness certainly light up and enhanced the presence of the watch. The engraving is highly detailed with the scales of the dragon, whiskers on the dragon’s face, rock sturdy horns on the creature and finally lotus flower with clouds around it, as if the dragon is pouncing up to the heavens with might and magic. Image

The Invicta logo is discreetly placed on the 12 – 1 o’clock position; the date encircled on the 3 o’clock and finally, the model name S1 on the 4 o’clock. These 3 features are positioned quietly and subtly, letting the dragon dominate the main stage.

Four words in Hokkien: See Bay Sat Kee.

Case: The thick case is evenly matt, with the thin polish ring around to the basel area, giving the watch a refined shine. The word “Yakuza” is engraved on the 9 o’clock side, using a Japanese-like font. I am personally not crazy about it and I think could be done without. The word just stereotyped the watch and correlated dragons with gangster, Triads and Yakuza. Just like most folks would think tall Afro-Americans are all freaking awesome in basketball, all Chinese can play ping-pong like Kong Ling Hui and all Singaporean Girls are materialistic and Vain. Not true, right? Malaysian Chinese Girls could be materialistic and vain as well.
But fortunately, being a right hander, I see the Super-extraordinary-Congo-Mongo-officially Gigantico-jumbo-crown on the 3 o’clock position more prominently. So let’s just focus on that, shall we?

Crown: The “Swiss-cross” logo on the Super-extraordinary-Congo-Mongo-officially Gigantico-Jumbo-Crown gave a false façade that this watch maybe/ is Swiss made, maybe / is using Swiss movement and feeds on Swiss cheese? But, wrong, wrong, wrong. All wrong.Image

My most plausible prediction is that the S1 is Asian Made (most likely Hong Kong-China), she’s definitely powered up by a Japanese automatic movement (the very reliable Seiko NH35A) and feeds on Kinetic energy by movement of the arm to stay alive. When you wind it (The NH35A is hackable and has self-winding capability), the crown between you thumb and index fingers gives you smooth texture and the gears connect with one another. I wish all big watches have a Super-extraordinary-Congo-Mongo-officially Gigantico-Jumbo-Crown like the S1. It’s simply sensational.

Case Back + Movement: The details include a watermark “Invicta S1 Rally” and the slogan “Going the Distance”. What the… the folks at S1 Rally are fans of the band Cake or what? http://youtu.be/QzeksmL4KBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rotor winding the NH35A is elaborated with Invicta’s signature is a nice touch for an open case back watch. I really have to give Invicta a thumbs up for this one. The four liners on outer ring of the case back is quite self-explainatory, indicating the “model number”, “water resistance 100 meter”, “automatic” and finally shouting out loud and proud that she is made of “all stainless steel”. Rock on. Steel Dragon, this one’s for you. Stand up and Shout! Mat-Rawk brudder! (Singapore Self-styled Heavy Metal fan who dresses like one).Image

Summary: The sensation on putting on the Silver/Chrome S1 on my left wrist is like a trip back to the memory lane with a familiar friend. Behemoth-ish and leviathan-like she maybe, but once settled on your wrist after a couple of minutes, the weight of the S1 just seems to be able to navigate through your wrist bone and sits in rather nicely. The original red/black soft rubber strap is sitting at home and she’s on a 10 dollar 24mm Tudor Grand Tour like Rally Nato for now now. But you know what? She certainly feels like a million bucks.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by telepgm on 06 Aug 2015 09:46, edited 9 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Ed.YEO

Re: Review: Invicta S1 Dragon Silver/Chrome: 15862

Post by Ed.YEO » 05 Aug 2015 10:53

Welly Swee! No need to be from the flowery company of Switzerland, the dragon is much more vibrant! ...from the orient.
However, your last picture sends a very clear message to office workers... not suitable for long sleeve shirts lor. Unless you put a coat on lah... then can cover the "Yakuza" marking at the side of the case. :wink:
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 05 Aug 2015 11:13

Nice.. Disturbingly so. Now I need to go goole pics of the rose gold version..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I want to be a one watch guy!!
rojakman

Post by rojakman » 05 Aug 2015 11:22

Sibei Satki Report bro! interesing way to write a review! :)
Using Tapatalk
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 12:06

Ed.YEO wrote:Welly Swee! No need to be from the flowery company of Switzerland, the dragon is much more vibrant! ...from the orient.
However, your last picture sends a very clear message to office workers... not suitable for long sleeve shirts lor. Unless you put a coat on lah... then can cover the "Yakuza" marking at the side of the case. :wink:
Thanks Ed. The Orient Dragon is out loud and proud. Got to give credit to the Titoni dragon though, it's done by a famous Hong Kong sculptor? But I think the dragon on the S1 is equally fascinating.

Long sleeve shirt to cover the S1? That'll be challenging. But hey, wear the S1 with strength, will and power. It's really meant to be a watch "out of the sleeve" with pride.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 12:15

balzebub71 wrote:Nice.. Disturbingly so. Now I need to go goole pics of the rose gold version..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
thanks, lord of flies. :) pictures of rose/yellow gold updated.
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 12:16

rojakman wrote:Sibei Satki Report bro! interesing way to write a review! :)
yo, rojak,西北殺氣!
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 05 Aug 2015 12:44

telepgm wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote:Welly Swee! No need to be from the flowery company of Switzerland, the dragon is much more vibrant! ...from the orient.
...The Orient Dragon is out loud and proud.

Got to give credit to the Titoni dragon though,
it's done by a famous Hong Kong sculptor? But I think the dragon on the S1 is equally fascinating...
A look into closer detail of the dragon, TITONI's one is a little more creative, using the date window as the fire ball... but the dragon seems to be very... ehh... gentleman.

Invicta's dragon much lively and aggressive, if you look onto the eyes, bright and shiny, but... I think machiam kanna shot by SAR21, body opened one lobang! :shock:

Swarovski's dragon... looked sibeh cartoon... but still acceptable lah...

Should TITONI had engaged Singapore Mint to print and decorate their dragon dials with colors... I wonder what kind of craze would have stirred...?
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Trident

Post by Trident » 05 Aug 2015 13:18

one of a kind review, well done!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 13:51

Ed.YEO wrote:
telepgm wrote: Image
...The Orient Dragon is out loud and proud.

Got to give credit to the Titoni dragon though,
it's done by a famous Hong Kong sculptor? But I think the dragon on the S1 is equally fascinating...
A look into closer detail of the dragon, TITONI's one is a little more creative, using the date window as the fire ball... but the dragon seems to be very... ehh... gentleman.

Invicta's dragon much lively and aggressive, if you look onto the eyes, bright and shiny, but... I think machiam kanna shot by SAR21, body opened one lobang! :shock:

Swarovski's dragon... looked sibeh cartoon... but still acceptable lah...

Should TITONI had engaged Singapore Mint to print and decorate their dragon dials with colors... I wonder what kind of craze would have stirred...?
wow! Swarovski dragon! Is it for sale in Singapore?

Invicta dragon kena shot by SAR21! Super funny!

Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 05 Aug 2015 14:04

:mrgreen: The Swarovski Dragon not mine... copied/borrowed from HK forum. :mrgreen:
(Should i'm the owner in the picture... i should be a liang-zai liaoz...)

I had tried to look for the same watch in the local Swarovski's Boutique last year... sales people claims dunno about such model ley...
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 21:13

Ed.YEO wrote::mrgreen: The Swarovski Dragon not mine... copied/borrowed from HK forum. :mrgreen:
(Should i'm the owner in the picture... i should be a liang-zai liaoz...)

I had tried to look for the same watch in the local Swarovski's Boutique last year... sales people claims dunno about such model ley...
thanks, Ed. another dragon to consider. :)

telepgm

Post by telepgm » 05 Aug 2015 21:13

Trident wrote:one of a kind review, well done!
thanks for reading, trident.

telepgm

Post by telepgm » 06 Aug 2015 09:16

Updated with link to the Music Video by Cake! Enjoy the music.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 06 Aug 2015 18:16

awesome review bro.

I will move this to the Review Section :)
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 07 Aug 2015 02:57

Dragons on timepiece, some are affordable, some... we can only appreciate in pics.

Nivrel's Dragon, not on dial, but on case back.
Trident

Post by Trident » 07 Aug 2015 05:35

Ed.YEO wrote:Dragons on timepiece, some are affordable, some... we can only appreciate in pics.

This, plus the Richard Mille Dragon is best best appreciated in pictures :lol: :lol:
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 07 Aug 2015 15:33

Ed.YEO wrote:Dragons on timepiece, some are affordable, some... we can only appreciate in pics.

fascinating, but I'll stick to my invicta for now. :)