Skagen Black Label 901XLBLB Quartz Moonphase Chrono

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Skagen Black Label 901XLBLB Quartz Moonphase Chrono

Post by telepgm » 26 Aug 2016 12:29

I have always admired Skagen's design ever since it was launched in the 90's. It was sleek, slim, sexy and above all simple with no complicated patterns or design. Like this one I am about to review: Skagen Black Label 901XLBLB Swiss Quartz Moonphase Chornograph.

I was just a teenager when Skagen was born; I knew nothing about watches back then. As I approached my late 20's where the watch bug gave me a serious sting on my left wrist, all I care about was manual winding or automatic timepieces. I even disdained Quartz watches, citing that "Quartz watches are just time-telling machine that's operated by batteries with no soul and not organic". Now in retrospect, I feel a little embarrassed, to be honest!

Until in recent times, where I had the pleasure of getting to know a veteran in SCS65 (Thank you, Ed.Yeo) who has given me a brand new perspective and outlook of Quartz watches. I began to appreciate them way more than before and I finally purchased this handsome looking Skagen used from Carousell.

Here are the technical specs taken from the internet:

Swiss quartz movement
Sapphire coated crystal
Case diameter: 40mm
Steel case
Water resistant to 99 feet (30 M): withstands rain and splashes of water, but not showering or submersion

Here's what I like about the watch (Part 1):
Sleek, Slim casing: perfect for folks who wears business shirt on a daily basis. The 901XLBLB hides beneath the cuffs of the shirt very discreetly.
The ergonomic design which makes the watch so comfortable to wear; I forget that the watch is on my wrist sometime.
"Black on Black" colour overall for the mysterious and stealth look.
Textured dial on the first and second ring giving the meteorite-moon-watch feel, showing off Skagen's attention to details. (refer to the last photo)

Here's what I like about the watch (Part 2):
Skagen's signature Bauhaus Style designed for the sleek-train-station-clock-look for easy time telling, despite of her date/moonphase/ Chronograph complication.
The minute hand rotating just at the tip of the second inner circle dial, another feature of Skagen's attention to details.
The moonphase indicator right above the 6 o'clock position, scoring high points in terms of perceived values.
The small second indicator, adjacent to 1 and 2 o'clock position, clicking subtly to move time along.
Finally, the Skagen's original black buckle on Italian Leather strap with black buttons and crown add that final touch for the "Black on Black" look, which I absolutely adore.

There is only one thing I wish the Skagen Black label 901XLBLB could change:

901XLBLB's original black slim strap is integrated to the watch; attached by 2 screws. I am not able to interchange straps at all, like my other watches using spring bars as devices. This frustrates me a little, to be honest.

This means that Hardcore Strap Changing Fans (hands up if you are like me) would have to purchase the original Skagen replacement band or to customize one from leather makers when the strap wears out. I better take care of the strap and prolong it's life before it wears out!

Conclusion:

Skagen's 901XLBLB is one classy, sleek and sexy time piece that I am able to earn positive attention compliments in any occasion. It may be a battery operated time-telling machine with "no soul" and not "organic", but it doesn't really matter to me anymore. We all need to progress in our thinking in order to improve, to move along. Besides, you will not be able to find Moonphase, Chronograph, Date, Black-On-Black Automatic Watch at this price point. Let me know if you do! :)

While it's no longer for sale brand new in Singapore; you can still find them on eBay, Amazon or wherever you hunt for your watches overseas. Perhaps if you are fortunate like me, to find a pre-loved BNIB piece in Singapore?

Special thanks to Quinnwoo, a kind, honest, polite seller in Carousell to have sold me this wonderful timepiece at a fair price.

Skagen's 901XLBLB Quartz Moonphase Chronograph is one of my happiest purchase in 2016 and it's my pleasure to share this little piece of treasure with you. Thank you for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg