Review Seiko SRP409J1: Seiko 5 50th Anniversary

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review Seiko SRP409J1: Seiko 5 50th Anniversary

Post by telepgm » 27 Aug 2016 22:34

My first ever "serious" mechanical watch was a Seiko 5. I couldn't remember the model number, but it was a Seiko 5 "Superior". Jet Black, Stealth, 36mm, diver style with uni-directional rotating bezel. I still own it till today. That would be the beginning of my horological journey, and also the beginning of the deterioration of my guitar playing skills and the rapid depletion of my funds in my bank account.

**kidding about the last 2 parts: I am still a decent guitar player and I am not broke yet.**

Like my previous review on the SRP769K1, this bad boy is also equipped with the 4R series Calibre. It's a Seiko 5, but not just any Seiko 5. It's one of THE Seiko 5 that coincided with Seiko's 130th Anniversary (hence the launch of the 4R series Calibre) and also celebrating 50 years of Seiko 5 Glory.

In short, in my very humble and sincere opinion (IMVHASO), this Green Gentleman is pretty bad a**.

Instead of lifting technical details off the internet to start the review, I will let Seiko tell you more about this wonderful time piece: https://www.seikowatches.com/5sports/products/50th.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Just click on it, it'll be worth 2 minutes of your time.)

What I like about the 409 (Part 1):
The Green Dial: Green dial trend caught on big time with the reintroduction with the likes of "Hulk", "Kermit", etc. To be honest, I was not too impressed by it and even joked about it saying that "Green dial watches are most suitable during Hari Raya." But there is something magical and striking about green dial on the 409. The gold accented indicators and hands (complimenting the green dial) give this piece a very majestic & tasteful touch.

The slight domed hardlex crystal: Seiko's intention for the feature, (I suspect) is paying a retro-tribute to a Seiko 5 when it was launched 50 years ago. The curvature of the crystal certainly adds vintage vibes to the 409. It magnifies the green dial to a certain extend and creates mystery in various angles and different lighting. The mojo runs deep.

The diameter of the 409: While paying tribute to it's roots, the designer of the 409 did not forget to make this piece a relevant one in 21st century. Most like it big now, and 409 is pretty big for a good-old-Seiko-5.

What I like about the 409 (Part 2):
Calibre 4R36: Some say the 4Rs are more accurate than Swiss Made Automatic Calibre, some say it's more reliable with lesser breakdown and easy to repair/maintain. Perhaps it's an "Asian-Pride-Syndrome", I choose to believe that these claims are true. Let's say that the 4Rs are on par or a little lesser to their European counterparts, but at this price point? It's really hard to deny that it's really good value for money.

The large Seiko 5 signed Crown: Most Seiko 5s have unsigned ones. But the 409 is not only signed with the infamous "Superman" logo, but with a tyre-grid design to lure owners to wind in their time and leisure.

The signed "Seiko 5 50th Anniversary" open case back: This feature does not add additional monetary value to the watch, but it's sure nice to look at it from time to time.

What I like about the 409 (Part 3):

409's versatility to mix and match with various straps: I have had them on Nato Straps, Zulu Straps, Padded Leather Straps, Tweet-Material Straps. It just looks decent however I match it. Now the 409 is not only good for Hari Raya, it's good for Lunar New Year, Diwali and Christmas too.

The Orange Accent on the 3, 6, 9, 12 position: It's very critical to me. I will further elaborate this cheeky "like" at the footnote of this review.

What I wish the 409 could be different:

The Stainless Steel Bracelet: It's well-made bracelet with a signed Seiko Logo, but it's weight is light and it feels rather flimsy. I have uninstalled the bracelet the first day I got my hands on the 409 and replaced it with a leather band immediately. It's a personal preference, but at this price point, I am not expecting a 914 Rolex-Grade bracelet.

The lug is a little long: This is not a big deal, but the gap/hole between leather straps is a little glaring. A solution for strap-changing fans like me is to include a leather bund to cover up the gap/hole. Not only does the bund help to solve this dislike, it also enhances the masculinity of the 409.

Conclusion:

The 409  is an unexpected hero in my collection, who earns way more compliments than I would have expected or imagined. A lady-friend who currently works in a bank loves the 409 so much, that she expressed her interest in buying her from me every single time we meet, without fail (whether I am wearing the watch or not).

It's large (in a handsome way), it's accurate, it's reliable, versatile in more ways than one, Sporty but Classy looking at the same time, and finally, the 409 is suitable for all occasions, depending on which strap or bracelet the it's on.

What makes this watch even more desirable now, is that it's pretty hard to find it BNIB. If you happen to come across a 409, and for some reason, don't think highly of it, please comtact me. I will refer my lady-banker-friend to you. :)

Footnote:

The 409 in this review is equipped with a combination cream coloured bund & salmon-cream leather band in 22mm. Both items are purchased in K2 Watches (Thank you Mr. Goh for suggesting for this stunning looking combo for the 409).
The Lightning-Bolt-Milgauss Second Hand is purchased from Yobokies (which complimented exceptionally well with the orange triangle indicators on the 3, 6, 9, 12)
I bought this watch used, but it was last seen at K2 in Tanjong Katong Complex and Mustafa Shopping Centre.

Thank you and I hope you have enjoyed my review of the SRP409J1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Trident

Re: Review Seiko SRP409J1: Seiko 5 50th Anniversary

Post by Trident » 28 Aug 2016 09:53

nice, especially the second hand!