Review: "Shark" Brand Tribute to Seiko's Legendary 6105

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: "Shark" Brand Tribute to Seiko's Legendary 6105

Post by telepgm » 08 Sep 2016 10:37

The engraved words on the case back of this watch I am about to review are : "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." It sounds heroic, courageous and full of guts and glory. I took the liberty to google for its origin and the meaning of this glorious phrase, and my goodness, was I impressed. Go on, google it. :)

Today, I am reviewing the "Shark" Brand tribute to the legendary diver by Seiko, the 6105-8110.

The technical specs to my best knowledge:
316 Stainless Steel Casing
Double AR Coated Sapphire Glass, slightly domed.
Seiko's NH35A Calibre (Hacking/self-winding with date)
Dimension: Exact mirroring of the 6105 (Except Strap's lug width at 20mm instead of 19mm)
Screw-down Crown (impressive 5-6 turns)
Black Chapter Ring
Brownish-Bluish-Black Dial
Aged Applied indicators.
6105 styled hands
"Ceramic" Bezel
States "200m water resistance"
Additional items included: Extra Matching Rubber Strap, Strap Changing tool and Extra Matt Bezel (for the vintage look)

Everyone in this forum should be familiar with the 6105, I will save all the details that you might already know. I will let the pictures do the most of the talking for this review.

What I like about this watch (Part 1):

The Price: For less than SGD 200 including shipping, this watch is truly bang-for-buck-value-for-money-to-the-max. Some complained that the workmanship of the watch is not refine. However at the price point, the specs and the additional freebies, it makes the price of other 6105 tribute seem astronomical.

The construction: The 316 Stainless Steel casing on this 6105 has a rock solid feel to it. The brush finishing on the cushion-cut case and case back is no-nonsense and nicely-smoothly done.

The Blue-Brown Dial: I have always enjoyed dark colour dials as it give me a duo-colour option. In the day it's Blueish-Brown and at night it's Black. Price of one for 2 coloured dial. Good deal. It's like have two variants of the same watch for the price of one, depending on the hour of the day.

The Screw-in-Crown: 5-6 turn to secure the screw-in? It's a hassle for some, but it sure is a sign of confidence that the crown is securely fastened. Safety for water proof: Checked.

What I like about this watch (Part 2):

The applied markers on both indicators and hands: We are paying tribute to a classic diver in the middle of 20th Century, aren't we? Staying true to it's classic, vintage look. Nice.

The freebies included: I bought this watch with the pretext that the it came with a box and the watch alone. The additional freebies was a pleasant surprise indeed! Extra Strap, Strap Changing tool and a Matt Bezel included? Yes, Sir. Included, Sir.

Engraving on the case back: Tastefully decorated with a compass as an emblem, with excerpt of the epic poem of Ulysses, gave the case back a nice classy european touch. Not that you would admire the case back of a watch often, but it's a nice to have feature with the attention to details.

The Double AR Coated Slightly Domed Crystal: The reflection of the text "Limited Edition 6105 - 8110" could be mirrored, while admiring the watch in certain angle. Shades of blue is apparent while rotating the watch in circular motion. Stunning.

Black Chapter Ring: The smooth jet-black chapter ring adds that additional mystery while looking at the dial closely. I prefer black over chrome chapter rings anytime, simply because I like black. :)

NH35A Calibre: It's made by Seiko for the confidence, it's reliable, easy to find a watchmaker for servicing when the occasion arises, it's accurate, some say it's even more accurate than an entry level swiss made automatic movement... the list goes on. The calibre one of the main reason for me when considering micro-brand watches.

What I think this watch can improve on:

Replace the "Shark" Logo beneath the 12 o'clock indicator to a Submarine instead? It's just my personal preference as I prefer a machine icon over a mammal on a tool watch.

Nothing to complain about, to be honest. With it's classic good looks, this Shark 6105 is suitable for all occassions and for any attire. Literally.

Conclusion: It's good, it's affordable, it's a pretty close tribute to the legend. If you always desire a 6105, but don't wish to pay through your nose to be Martin Sheen of Apocalypse Now, buy this Sharky if you can find it.

Additional footnotes: A veteran in the watch admiring circuit and I had a debate about whether this watch is value for money (VFM) but obviously he and I have very different point of view (POV). His idea of VFM is whether he can resell it at the same price, or to make a profit. His philosophy is $200 spent today, is $200 gone. He advised me to "squirrel" $200 for every cheap watch that I fancy, and by the 10th time, I can afford a 2nd tier swiss made watch with higher resale/perceived value.

Fair point.

My idea of VFM, for now, is when I can spend minimally on a decently constructed time piece with good features. I will wear it for as long as my wrist desire and sell it at a small loss before moving on to the next piece. Just for the experience, if you understand my mentality.

Which camp are you on?

Last note: I read from the an article on social media not too long ago and found it hilarious. It says "God made heaven, earth and hell; The Chinese made everything else." There is a certain truth to this joke; once again, at a price less than SGD 200 for all the feature and inclusion of this Shark Brand 6105 tribute? Only the Chinese can produce it and still make a profit out of it.

Thank you for taking time out to read this review. Leave a comment, it will help others find my works and reviews of watches. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by telepgm on 08 Sep 2016 17:58, edited 4 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
cirdec

Re: Review: "Shark" Brand 6105-8110 Tribute

Post by cirdec » 08 Sep 2016 10:40

Nice pictures, but where's the review?
chriscentro

Re: Review:

Post by chriscentro » 08 Sep 2016 13:30

Looks good, even the case back.
rojakman

Post by rojakman » 08 Sep 2016 15:23

Less than 200sgd inclusive of delivery and that specs looks like a real solid deal
Using Tapatalk
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 08 Sep 2016 17:59

cirdec wrote:Nice pictures, but where's the review?
Haha, Cirdec, my car broke down and sent to the workshop. I am back (with the car now) in my office and have finished the review. Hope you enjoy the read.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 08 Sep 2016 18:00

rojakman wrote:Less than 200sgd inclusive of delivery and that specs looks like a real solid deal
I can't agree with you more, rojakman. Go on, get one for yourself. :)
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 08 Sep 2016 18:01

chriscentro wrote:Looks good, even the case back.
Hey Chris. Good looks are just bonuses, the construction and the overall built is pretty impressive. Let's meet and I would love to show her off to you. Perhaps with your extraordinary photography skill, you can wow even more readers? :)
cirdec

Re: Review: "Shark" Brand Tribute to Seiko's Legendary 6105

Post by cirdec » 08 Sep 2016 18:16

Excellent review, especially with the pictures to give potential buyers "perspective."

Gotta add that there is a little bit of bezel play. But wait... I ever tried a 10k watch with worst, and the AD says its normal!? For less than $200, I can live with the slight bezel play.

One improvement I wish was drill thru lug holes.

I'm with you on he VFM and submarine logo.

Someone asked me: "how come there's a fish logo in your watch?" I had no answer to it.
Trident

Post by Trident » 08 Sep 2016 20:45

Beautifully written, hope I dun regret not getting this. My mind was on another.
Well it's a whole shark instead of just Shark's fin!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 09 Sep 2016 00:34

cirdec wrote:Excellent review, especially with the pictures to give potential buyers "perspective."

Gotta add that there is a little bit of bezel play. But wait... I ever tried a 10k watch with worst, and the AD says its normal!? For less than $200, I can live with the slight bezel play.

One improvement I wish was drill thru lug holes.

I'm with you on he VFM and submarine logo.

Someone asked me: "how come there's a fish logo in your watch?" I had no answer to it.

Fish? Haha, I got a good come back for you, Cirdec. Tell that Someone it a SHARK, ok? Shark. Ass Hedge Aye Are Kay, SHARK. It's like calling the Stallion in a Ferrari a pony, or the Raging Ox in a Lamborghini a cow. Oh boy, I had a good laugh.

Drill through lug holes would be a "nice to have" for me, but it won't be a breaking factor for choosing this piece.

Jokes aside, thanks for the compliment. Hope you enjoyed the read!

telepgm

Post by telepgm » 09 Sep 2016 00:36

Trident wrote:Beautifully written, hope I dun regret not getting this. My mind was on another.
Well it's a whole shark instead of just Shark's fin!
Trident, never regret what you did but only what you didn't! The 6105 tribute beckons...

Shark's Fin as a logo maybe a breaking factor for me if it was true. Now that you mentioned it, I'm thankful for the whole shark. :)

Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 09 Sep 2016 09:04

U peepil hor... now make wa sibeh gian!
not only green, not only cheap, also tua liap... her-eee(fishball lah!)

like this hab to plan plan liaoz... only one molel nia hah?
have othler 4 diffrent look boh?
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 09 Sep 2016 12:09

Here's a treat for you kind folks, a pencil drawn version of the Shark by my 9 year old Cousin, Isabella Yang.

telepgm

Post by telepgm » 09 Sep 2016 12:12

Ed.YEO wrote:U peepil hor... now make wa sibeh gian!
not only green, not only cheap, also tua liap... her-eee(fishball lah!)

like this hab to plan plan liaoz... only one molel nia hah?
have othler 4 diffrent look boh?
We are but mortals and not saints, Ed. It's normal to gian, as Long as you don't break the law or hurt anyone.

Green, Cheap & huge Fish-Balls indeed. Maybe Shark-Balls.

I'm thankful for only one molel nia. If got Colour variant, I'll have to eat Indo Mee till December 2016!

Thanks for taking time to read, Ed.

lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 09 Sep 2016 20:42

Awesome review bro!
Seiko Club Gathering 2016