Review: Grand Seiko SBGR001 9S55-0010

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: Grand Seiko SBGR001 9S55-0010

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2016 10:02

I read somewhere about the Lion logo of a Grand Seiko, on what it means and origins of it. I cannot really remember word for word, but it is something like: Lion is the king of all animals and Grand Seiko strives to be king of all watches.

The Grand Seiko, SBGR001 9S55-0010, is a little too discreet and subtle to be the king of all watches. However, she sure has some fascinating qualities and a lot to offer. A time piece that would surely make heads turn; for those who knows of course...

What I like about the SBGR001 (Part 1):

The Size: Watches of 36mms have a certain charm that attracts me greatly. Forget about the modern gent's size of 41/42mm for a while; the classic Date Justs have been 36mm for the longest time, only until recently when the five-matchsticks brand decided to feed them with steriods.

The Dial: The silver-burst of the SBGR001 has an amazing ability to absorb the sunlight in different times of the day, give the dial different tones and texture of silver at different hour. The dial is also rather Some of the pictures in this review has shown some examples of that. If you ask me, that's the most fascinating and impressive quality of this piece.

What I like about the SBGR001 (Part 2):

The hands and indicators: I read somewhere that they are hand polished. Even if they are not, the amount of details and effort in the workmanship in nothing short of incredible. They sparkle. They really do.

The calibre: 9S55, is undoubtedly, of the best calibre offered by Seiko during her time. The sweep of the second hand is smooth and the rotor is gentle and quiet. I did not take time to observe the accuracy; but I have an impression that she keeps better time than my Five-Match Sticks vintage Date Just.

What I like about the SBGR001 (Part 3):

The Case Back: A Grand Seiko is proud but not arrogant. Not everyone has to know or go bananas about a Grand Seiko. Having the Lion logo in the case back acts as a gentle reminder to the owner that we are wearing a very powerful watch, but only the ones who know will know.

The Story / History: The Grand Seiko has come long way in the horology world with a grand story to tell (no punt intended). They have taken part in competitions back in the days and have completely annihilated their most worthy european adversaries. Their tales of the Japanese spirit of "the endless pursue of accuracy" has won many hearts around the world and a Grand Seiko remains as a must-have for many in this forum.

What I hope the SBGR001 has:

A screw-in crown: Newer models of GS have this feature, but unfortunately not the SBGR001. Not that its a breaking factor, but it sure gives the owner the assurance that the waterproofing department is taken care of. For the records, no water-proofing issues since I acquired this piece in 2012.

The Stainless Steel Bracelet: Desk-Diving being one of my absolute favourite daily activities, has certainly taken a toll on the Stainless Steel Bracelet greatly. Not that I am expecting the bracelet to be scratch-proof, but she (the bracelet) sure attracts scuff marks fairly easily. Hence I have decided to replace it with a leather strap to prevent further scratches.

Conclusion: The SBGR001 is a good-old-fashion-handsome looking dress watch made of stainless steel. No precious metal, no precious stones for the bling-bling. Her existence has only one purpose: to tell you the time. Very accurately.

Her subtle and quiet form of luxury has earned me very in-depth and heartfelt conversations amongst my friends in the horology circle. I always smile gently and proudly (not arrogantly) whenever someone asks me "Excuse me, but are you wearing a Grand Seiko?" *smiles*

Side note:

My SBGR001 is a pre-loved 2005 model, last serviced in 2010 (with certification), but she is still running very strongly.
I have removed the stainless steel bracelet and replaced it with a ZRC 20mm, Veau Fait Main (meaning handmade in French, I googled it. :D) Brown Croc Leather strap.

I highly recommend their straps due to their high quality workmanship and price point. I purchase my ZRCs at Bronze Age. You can locate them at Hong Lim Complex #02-66, 531 Upper Cross Street. Nearest MRT Chinatown.

Request: May I request that owners of Grand Seiko to post their photos on this thread? If the response is strong enough, we might even be able to form a Grand Seiko Guild +65.

Thank you for taking time to read about the Grand Seiko SBGR001. Leave your comments or questions below, I would be please to respond or answer them to my very best knowledge. Enjoy the rest of the photos in this thread. Cheers.

Last edited by telepgm on 18 Sep 2016 16:53, edited 5 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
cirdec

Re: Review: Grand Seiko SBGR001 9S55-0100

Post by cirdec » 18 Sep 2016 10:08

Beautiful piece of art and heritage.
fallacyfrog

Re: Review: Grand Seiko SBGR001 9S55-0010

Post by fallacyfrog » 18 Sep 2016 13:04

Great pics on this superb piece.
Trident

Post by Trident » 18 Sep 2016 14:37

Very nicely shot. It's a beautiful watch.
telepgm

Re: Review: Grand Seiko SBGR001 9S55-0100

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2016 16:47

cirdec wrote:Beautiful piece of art and heritage.
Thank you Cirdec. You only saw the pics; I am just done with the text. Hope you enjoy the read. :)
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2016 16:48

Trident wrote:Very nicely shot. It's a beautiful watch.
Taken with iPhone 6s. :) Thanks for your kind compliments as always.
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2016 16:50

fallacyfrog wrote:Great pics on this superb piece.
Thanks Fallacyfrog, it's a superb piece indeed. I would highly recommend a GS, any GS for that matter, to any watch lovers. Take away the biasness and take pride in Asian craftsmanship! Even their quartz models are fascinating.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 18 Sep 2016 17:02

The watch looks so clean cut, if you know what I mean. Beautiful!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2016 22:53

chriscentro wrote:The watch looks so clean cut, if you know what I mean. Beautiful!
Clean, mean, time telling machine. :) yeah, Chris, I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for dropping by!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 19 Sep 2016 19:53

Image Got a nice angle of the SBGR001 this morning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 19 Sep 2016 21:16

telepgm wrote:Image Got a nice angle of the SBGR001 this morning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beautiful
Seiko Club Gathering 2016