Review: Junkers Bauhaus Power Reserve 6060-5

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: Junkers Bauhaus Power Reserve 6060-5

Post by telepgm » 27 Sep 2016 19:18

One of the evergreen comment (or warning, or advice) given to me is "Horology is an expensive hobby." Heard that before? I hear that all the time. I mean all the time.

But hey, guess what? So is Table-Tennis, so is Golf, so isCollecting Toys and Stamps.. The point is: every hobby could potentially be expensive. It takes a lot of discipline and setting strict perimeters to enjoy any hobby within one's mean. So that they (the hobbies that one indulges) can be enjoyed sustainably in the long run.

Now, on with the review.

Today, I am reviewing the Junkers 6060-5, the Bauhaus Series with Power Reserve. Pencil rendering courtesy of Ms. Anastasia Yang (Age 7).

Here are some technical details, lifted off the internet:
movement Cal. 9132, mechanic, self-winding, 26 jewels (Miyota 9100)
power reserve indicator
Hesalite crystal, crystal exhibition back
beige dial with black digits / markers
green luminous dots
stainless steel case, polished,
diameter: 40 mm, Height: 12 mm, weight: 62 g
water-resistant up to 3 atm

What I like about this watch (Part 1):

Bauhaus: Straight lines. Clean. Neat. Sterile. Sexy. German. Clear. Precise. She wants to tell you the time accurately. History/ Story / spirit behind Bauhaus... I can go on and on about how much I like my watches simple. Maybe my next review could be my Botta Tres...

The dial: It's complex but simple at the same time. Ironic? Not really. Imagine squeezing 24 hour indicator, 40 hour power reserve indicator, date and time all in one dial, without cluttering the look of the watch and the spirit of Bauhaus. The Junkers 6060-5 may just be THAT perfect piece.

What I like about the watch (Part 2):

The weight: Weighing at only 62gm, it feels like almost nothing on your wrist. Comfortable to wear. Very comfortable to wear. It's light but it feels luxurious and serious.

The diameter: Although the Bauhaus movement started at the end of World War One, the 6060-5 "moved ahead with times". At a handsome-modern diameter of 40mm, it has a bold and new-school vibe, but at the same time retaining it's simplistic Bauhaus tradition. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

What I like about the watch (Part 3):

The value of the watch: With all the complications that the 6060-5 possesses, it would cost easily in the mid/high 4-figures for any European made pieces. An established USA based online retailer is only asking for USD499 for this wonderful piece. Besides Junker's sister brands with the same movements, I don't think I have came across another European made/assembled piece with similar quality, at this price point.

Triple signed feature: It's not a factor that would make or break while deciding on this watch, but it's noteworthy to share that the Tang-Buckle on the original strap, the caseback and finally the crown of the watch are all signed with Junker's logo and initial. Nice touch to the attention to details. (Disclaimer: I have replaced the original strap with a Rios 1931 Louisiana 20mm Croc in ladies length).

What I like about the watch (Part 4):

Hesalite Crystal: The slightly domed Hesalite Crystal (Acrylic, plastic, not sapphire) is one of the features that makes the 6060-5 retain the stunningly beautiful vintage look. I have great experience with Hesalites; the older the are, the better they look. To me, at least. :)

No bezel: Yup. You heard me, No Bezel. This feature makes the 6060-5 resembles a train-clock, but shrunk to the size of to fit my wrist. It sure reminds me of the days of my youth, when I was bag packing in Europe, transiting from train stations to train stations. It's a nostalgic bonus feature for me, personally.

What I like about the watch (Part 5):

The cream dial: I was choosing between the cream or the black variant during the moment to decide. All my close confidantes in the watches circuit will know that I would usually pick up the one with the black or darker dial without hesitation. However, the cream dial made the cut. Hands down. For the win. For the vintage look. Hurray.

The Power Reserve function: Sometimes I treat a watch not only like a fashion accessory, like a time-telling tool; but more often than not, I treat my timepieces like a living-breathing-creature! Seeing the power reserve indicator goes to the maximum while I am winding, gives me great pleasure and satisfaction, to learn that she has the power to tell me the time precisely and accurately in the next 40hours.

The Big Crown: Don't get me started. Such nice grip while I wind...ooooh. The pleasure....

What I thought the watch can do better:

The rotor (of the Miyota 9100): It's noisy. Rrrrrrrrrrrr. You literally feel the rotor spin, when you move your wrist a little more forceful than usual. Then again, at the retail price of USD 499, I will give a bad impression like an unreasonable wailing-child if I keep harping on it. I can live with the sound the rotor makes. Rrrrrrrrrrrr..... I really can.

Conclusion: The 6060-5 has made the mark of everything I want in a Bauhaus piece. Quiet, complicated (but simple at the same time), clean, accurate, excellent complications (which makes the 6060-5 look very luxurious). Have a look at the Junkers 6060-5 if you are into the sleek, clean, precise, sterile (goodness, I am running out of words that describes the goodness Bauhaus) watches.

I know I am. That's why I bought it. :)

Side notes: I bought my Junkers 6060-5 with full box and papers from Bronze Age. You can find them at Hong Lim Complex #02-66, Singapore.They are friendly folks with excellent customer service, offering reasonable price points. I go to them for most of my repairs, purchasing of good quality straps, and acquiring of other interesting time pieces.

Thank you for your time in reading this review. Feel free to leave a comment or write to me at hello@jaspe.com.sg if you would like to PM me. Please be kind to one another in the meantime. Best wishes.

Last edited by telepgm on 28 Sep 2016 00:10, edited 3 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
chriscentro

Re: Review: Junkers Bauhaus Power Reserve 6060-5

Post by chriscentro » 27 Sep 2016 20:29

This is one of Junkers that I like, nice!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 27 Sep 2016 22:17

chriscentro wrote:This is one of Junkers that I like, nice!
Thanks for dropping by again, Chris! I really like this Junkers too. I hope to receive more comments from you after my text review. Thanks again.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 27 Sep 2016 23:12

More junkers please? Too sexy.
My family, my life, my watches...
Personal favourite: Tudor Classic Moxa
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 27 Sep 2016 23:43

Stan80 wrote:More junkers please? Too sexy.
Thanks Stan! Since you requested, I got 2 more Junkers to share. Let me take a break for a week or two before my next one! :) Thanks dropping by.
Trident

Post by Trident » 28 Sep 2016 06:38

luv it. The thin lines are very clean looking. Good review. Keep it up!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 28 Sep 2016 08:25

Trident wrote:luv it. The thin lines are very clean looking. Good review. Keep it up!
Thanks Trident. Yes, the thin lines makes the 6060-5 a very sterile and clinical piece, but the cream dial and the haselite crystal retains the warmness and vintage look.

Stay tune for more! Share this review with your friends and colleagues if you think it's worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk