Review: Seiko SSA051K1

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: Seiko SSA051K1

Post by telepgm » 18 Oct 2016 08:00

Word cannot express my love for PVD watches.....Really Can't.

When I first learnt about this watch, it was at the height of the 4R Calibre craze. I paid a small (but reasonable) premium for this piece and never once I thought of selling or flipping her.

Introducing you the SSA051K1, Seiko Stealth Military running on 4R37 with a whole lot of other cool details. It came with matching stainless steel PVD bracelet, but I swopped it with 22mm Olive Green Leather Bund Strap from Fossil.

Here are some of the technical specs lifted from the internet:

Black IP Stainless Steel Case
Black IP Stainless Steel Bracelet
Automatic Movement
Caliber: 4R37
24 Jewels
Hand Winding/Hacking Function
Hardlex Crystal Glass
Black Dial
Black PVD Bezel
Date Display
Luminous Hands And Markers
See Through Case Back
Deployment Clasp
100M Water Resistance
Approximate Case Diameter: 42mm
Approximate Case Thickness: 17mm

What I like about the watch (Part One):

The size: At a modern gentlemen's size 42mm Diameter, Seiko continues to stay relevant for watch trends in the 2010's. Perfect size for both casual and corporate occasions.

The dial: The "square grid" dial resembles one of the most prestigious swiss luxury brand with 5 syllabus, first word starting with the letter A, and second word, P. The 24 hour clock resembles a compass, and is uniquely set in between the 9 and 10 o'clock position. The applied "ring" for the hour indicators, is a additional touch to the attention of details.

What I like about the watch (Part 2)

Two Crowns on the right of the watch: The crown to adjust date / time is located on the 2 o'clock position. The crown on the 4 o'clock position adjusts the compass set as a chapter ring. This feature reminds me of a secret agent's watch with an explosive detonation activator. The design of both the crowns are different too. Too cool.

The hands / lume: The "Broad Sword" hands, and the extra elongated second hand that touches the tip of the chapter ring, make time telling easy and accurate. The white indicators glow BLUE when night falls or in darker environment. Blue on Black is a cool and stealth combination. No doubt about that.

What I like about the watch (Part 3):

The Calibre: The folks from my usual watch workshop was just so impressed with the accuracy and the reliability of the 4R series, they fear for a 2nd Crisis for the European watch makers. I quote, "With a calibre so affordable, reliable and accurate, why would any one buy a RElax?"

This watch is so cool, even Gods want to wear it. Mr. Fu from The Fu Lu Shou Trio (The three deities for Fortune, Knowledge and Longevity) modelled with the SSA051K1 for this shoot. Special permission from the Jade Emperor. Thanks.

What I like about the watch (Part 4):

The transparent case back: Watching the 4R37 caliber in action great; it's like watch a bonus feature of a film on it's "behind the scene" or "bloopers" clip, but cooler. Way cooler.

The overall construction: The SSA051K1's price is affordable, but it does not feel "cheap". On the contrary, it feels rock solid, silent and stealth. If I can turn back the clock to pick this piece up again, amongst all the great choices? I would. Without a doubt.

What I think the watch can improve on:

To come in a version with matching black bund leather straps with jet black stitches!

Some of SSA051K1's cousins come with Original Seiko Bund Straps. I recall that there is a PVD variant with yellow accent, with black bund leather straps and yellow stitches. That one is pretty dope looking too, but I like my watches stealth and quiet.

Conclusion: The SSA051K1 is perfect for a PVD junkie like me; it was simply love at first sight. I am glad I purchased it as it has numerous complications would cost thousands if it was an European made time piece. All thanks to Seiko, they have done it again. Making rock solid watches with high end complications, affordable for all.

Additional notes: I purchased the SSA051K1 from K2 Watch Company. Here's their address:
#03-K1 Tanjong Katong Complex 845 Geylang Rd Singapore 400845

Last time I checked, the SSA051K1 is sold out islandwide, but there is a slim chance you can still get them ordered from K2 Watch Company.

Thanks: Special thanks to you for spending time to read my weekly review on timepieces. You can reach me at hello@jaspe.com.sg if you have further enquiries about the SSA051K1. Please spend a few minutes leaving a comment below; it will help others find this review. Thanks and see you next week.

Last edited by telepgm on 18 Oct 2016 12:25, edited 8 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
chriscentro

Re: Review: Seiko SSA051K1

Post by chriscentro » 18 Oct 2016 08:11

Nice bro
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Oct 2016 10:21

chriscentro wrote:Nice bro
Thanks Chris, coming from top notch photographer like you.. It means a lot. Please wait for the text! :)
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Trident

Post by Trident » 19 Oct 2016 07:24

Another orh lu lu watch! Very nice design. Good review!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 28 Oct 2016 00:57

Trident wrote:Another orh lu lu watch! Very nice design. Good review!
Thanks Trident. it's really a macho looking military piece. :)