Review: Panzera Breuer 44 (1st Generation)

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: Panzera Breuer 44 (1st Generation)

Post by telepgm » 31 Oct 2016 13:53

Folks who love their watches complicated, you can skip to the next page now. I am about to review a simplistic Bauhaus-style watch. She’s clean. She’s sterile. She just wants to tell you the time accurately. She may be boring to some, but not to me. I am sucker for Bauhaus watches.

Introducing you, the Panzera Breuer 44 (First Generation) in Black Dial. Let’s call her PB44 in this review. Note: I have replaced the original strap with a blue colour Leather Bund (22mm) to make the 44mm look even bigger.

What I like about the watch (Part 1):

The Size: Most of the Bauhaus Style watches by respectable brands are between 36- 40mm in diameter. There other fashion quartz watches you can find in malls, which go way beyond 44mm. When I saw the PB44 for the first time, I thought she was just one of those not-so-serious fashion watches, and 44mm is just too big for a Bauhaus style watch.

When I put her on my wrist, I thought “OMG, a train clock just shrank in my wrist”. She’s handsome, she’s clean, and she sits perfectly (on my wrist). I am in that “more is still more” mode, so I popped in the bund to make the PB44 even bigger.

The screw-in crown: It's not as if you will wear the PB44 to go diving or do some extreme underwater sports, but the screw-in crown is really an essential function for water resistance. Rare to be featured on the Bauhaus Style watch indeed.

What I like about the watch (Part 2):

The Double AR Coated Sapphire Glass: When I took the picture of the PB44 for the promotion for Strap Shine by Dicon; the reflection of the Double AR Coated Sapphire Glass made the dial look blue. Literally. It’s an illusion of course, but it really gives the wearer a two-colored dial for the price of one. Mysterious is the best word I can come up with to describe this two-coloured goodness.

The hands: The hour hand points just a hair above the hour marker, the minute hand just a hair above the minute marker, and the second hand almost the same length as the minute. Ooh, the precision It’s brilliant.

The pilot style triangle on the 12 o'clock position:The PB44 sneaked a pilot feature rather subtly. It's a stealth, military touch, amidst the clean lines on the dial. While subtle, it is eye-catching for those who knows.

What I like about the watch (Part 3):

The movement: Miyota: Rock Steady movement with little maintenance. Reliable and accurate. Maybe a little noisy when the rotor whirls; but hey, it sure is a peace of mind.

The triple signed feature: Anchor Logo on Crown? Checked. Panzera name lazer printed on case back? Checked. Panzera name lazer printed on butterfly deployment? Check. I especially like the Anchor logo, matches the sailor-blueness offered by the Double AR sapphire glass.

What I like about the watch (Part 4):

The open display case back: While we trust most respectable watch manufacturers to deliver what they promised, the open display case back simply gives the wearer a piece of mind that the PB44 is indeed run by Miyota movement. Saves the hassle of going to a watch maker to verify or asking the shop to open to look underneath the hood.

The dial: What makes the first generation PB44 more charming than her successor, is the printed indicators on the dial, as oppose to applied markers in the second generation. The spirit of Bauhaus is supposed to be clean, sterile, non-fanciful and most importantly, functional.

While applied indicators would suggest additional attention to details, it also adds that slight tinge of luxury, which to me, loses the spirit of simplicity.

What I thought the watch can improve: I personally feel if the material of the steel watch case is a little on the soft side. While loaning the PB44 for this review for less than a week, she has already earned herself some light hair line scratches on the casing. Perhaps the material used could a little tougher or perhaps with a brush steel finishing, making the PB44 more scratch resistance?

However, with the price point the PB44 is offering, you don’t expect a military grade scratch proof stainless steel watch. Besides, the best watches in anyone’s collection are the ones worn regularly. Hairline Scratches from desk diving is inevitable. Say “Nay” to closet queen watches.

Conclusion: The PB44 maybe a little bigger than conventional Bauhaus Style watches, but this bold move by Panzera somehow got the formula right. 44mm is not just for military, pilot style or sporty watches. The PB44 has proven to be a scholarly looking time piece but in a bold and modern gentlemanly style. It may not be your style, but a watch’s function and purpose is time telling. The PB44 sure does that pretty well, but with an interesting twist due to her size.

Additional note: Just to prove a point; ladies do pretty well in Men’s size watches. The PB44 looks stunningly good on Ling Ling’s wrist. How about sharing a PB44 with your wife or girlfriend?

Thanks and acknowledgement: Special thanks to Mr. Chua and Russell for loaning the PB44 to me for this review. You can find the PB44 and the rest of Panzera’s collection at their boutique, De Time, located at Clarke Quay Central 6 Eu Tong Sen St #01-37 Singapore 059817. Thanks also to Ms. Ling Ling for being sporting and allowing us to put a PB44 on her wrist for illustration purposes.

Last notes: De Time is offering 50% off retail for a handful of PB44 First Generation. I highly recommend the PB44 to all Bauhaus watch lovers, or perhaps to a kindly gentleman or a lady who wishes to buy a wrist watch of good value and quality for the coming season of giving.

You can reach me at hello@jaspe.com.sg, or simply leave a question or comment if you need about the PB44 in this thread. Be kind to one another in the meantime and thank you all for reading.

The PB44 on Ms. Ling Ling's wrist. I think it looks brilliant on her. What do you think?

Last edited by telepgm on 01 Nov 2016 10:00, edited 4 times in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
cirdec

Re: Review: Panzera Breuer 44 (1st Generation)

Post by cirdec » 31 Oct 2016 20:41

Nice pics. Looking forward to your reviews
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 01 Nov 2016 00:22

cirdec wrote:Nice pics. Looking forward to your reviews
Thanks Cirdec. Review up! :) Time to hit the sack.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
Trident

Post by Trident » 01 Nov 2016 07:14

nice bear........watch is good looking too.
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 01 Nov 2016 09:50

Trident wrote:nice bear........watch is good looking too.
Thanks Trident. That bear? Yeah, my little girl's favourite. His nose got bitten off by her, so better take some photos before he's being eaten up. Back to the watch, it's really quite handsome looking. Let me know if you need more photos. Ms. Ling Ling, optional.