Should I or should I not?

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
enalyze

Should I or should I not?

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 09:47

Got an email from Perpetual Watch that the GMT watch G-01/02 is ready and is asking if I am keen. Should I or should I not? :( :( :(
lunarin79
CEO

Re: Should I or should I not?

Post by lunarin79 » 16 Oct 2014 10:44

enalyze wrote:Got an email from Perpetual Watch that the GMT watch G-01/02 is ready and is asking if I am keen. Should I or should I not? :( :( :(
gt pic? :lol:
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 10:50

Reference to the manual from the site, the movement used is a Shanghai RK4D GMT movement which is different from ETAs GMT?
... ...The movement originated in the early 1980s as a thin hand-winding replacement for both the SM1A produced by the Shanghai Diamond watch factory and the ZSH (Chinese Standard movement) produced by the Shanghai watch factory. As it happened, the ZSH remained in parallel production. An auto-winding module was later developed. Diamond factory closed in 2000 but the SWF continues to produce the movement.

To keep the movement thin, the 2nd wheel has been offset (like it's ancestor the SM1A) in the ETA tradition. This also reduces stresses on the centre of the movement. Auto-winding is also in the ETA tradition with double-reverser wheels, however these incorporate 5 ball jewels in each reverser rather than the ETA's troublesome ratchet click, hence the high jewel count of 35. The recent versions have replaced the low-friction 'eccentric' type crown-wheel with a fixed-axis unit, and the auto module has grown wider (making regulating the movement a bit more fiddly). I like this movement for its durability, robust 'feel' (like a Russian watch), smooth winding and large balance wheel for stable timekeeping.

The GMT variant has been the popular choice for Chinese GMT watches for the last decade or so, although increasingly the Guangzhou DG28 is favoured for its lower cost and more common base movement. The Shanghai however remains the preferred choice for higher-quality watch makers like Perpetual.

One point of criticism leveled against all current Chinese GMTs is the fact that tey are set up like a 'stay at home' GMT, rather than a 'travelling' GMT i.e. primary time is the 12 hour hand and the 24 hour hand is secondary, however if the movement is installed in a case with a GMT bezel then this is less of an issue. Also the GMT setting is continuous rather than incremental, which can seem fiddly if you are more accustomed to the Rolex GMT-II system... ...
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/lookin ... 27297.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering that the price is about 1/3 of what STEINHART may offer... this is a good price. But when the concern of serviceability jumps in... ...dilemma thickens...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 11:14

Can always send back to Alex. Because it is difficult to get his watch, I am in a dilemma. Lol. If I opt out, any bros wanna take over?
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 11:32

Black and white face. Which is nice, considering I have the black regulator.. Hmmm :mrgreen:
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 16 Oct 2014 12:05

Oh, this is a handsome piece.

the white is nicer.
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 12:08

Seems like more $$$ gonna fly. Gonna collect my Gruppo gamma vanguard preorder thia weekend... Haha
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 12:16

lunarin79 wrote:Oh, this is a handsome piece.
the white is nicer.
pruss 1.
Even with the chrome polishes, the dial will still have good contrast between the dial as well as the hands and indices. Black on the other hand... may make the owner to tilt the wrist sometime to get proper reading of the time.
enalyze wrote:Seems like more $$$ gonna fly. Gonna collect my Gruppo gamma vanguard preorder thia weekend... Haha
Well... consider these hoots as... early spending of your December bonus ba...
But when reaching November, you will have to give up your other Xmas period desirables liaoz... :oops:
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 12:17

Bad thing is that I am heading to Japan in Dec.... Sure faintzzz. Seriously might have to give up on the GMT.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 12:23

enalyze wrote:Bad thing is that I am heading to Japan in Dec.... Sure faintzzz. Seriously might have to give up on the GMT.
Going to Jpn to hoot? Down there temptation more than what you encounter now... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Luckily I forgotten to bring along one of my card which have more funds during the Osaka trip several weeks ago... otherwise, my funds will have a big lobang liaoz... :mrgreen:
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 12:30

Thinking of getting a tuna actually, but again I scared I kenna hoot by my wife... Haha
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 16 Oct 2014 12:40

Personally, I have not handled a Perpetual piece and though the price is attractive, I'd still steer clear of non established brands unless you know the maker. (my personal opinion).

If you are picking up a GG dark vanguard, enjoy that first. Going to Japan will be tempting I am sure for all. :D
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 12:51

Reputation wise... I believe PERPETUAL is much more known in the WUS community for numbers of years.
Locally, is just recent years nia... before that Chinese watches often cast a unsightful shadow of low quality makes.

If I am to compare PERPETUAL to Sovil et TITUS... I would say PERPETUAL is much sincere in watch making. SeT... just very well advertise nia... CityChain after sales service often have many complains...
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 16 Oct 2014 12:57

Tried ordering moonphase early this year and his reply that is already sold out for this year. Basically just tell me to try again next year. Haha

Sorry for the typos..am using auto correction.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 13:00

I was just about to send him the enquiry on the stock availability of the ST19 Moonphase Chronos, since it was listed as available for order since Monday...
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 13:08

Cosmograph wrote:Personally, I have not handled a Perpetual piece and though the price is attractive, I'd still steer clear of non established brands unless you know the maker. (my personal opinion).

If you are picking up a GG dark vanguard, enjoy that first. Going to Japan will be tempting I am sure for all. :D
Nope, I ordered the SS version. Yup, gonna enjoy the GG Vanguard first.

The wait for perpetual is long at times; I first enquired about the GMT back in Apr, only to know that it's ready now. Haha
seiko siao

Post by seiko siao » 16 Oct 2014 14:46

enalyze wrote:
Cosmograph wrote:Personally, I have not handled a Perpetual piece and though the price is attractive, I'd still steer clear of non established brands unless you know the maker. (my personal opinion).

Nope, I ordered the SS version. Yup, gonna enjoy the GG Vanguard first.

The wait for perpetual is long at times; I first enquired about the GMT back in Apr, only to know that it's ready now. Haha
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0
enalyze

Post by enalyze » 16 Oct 2014 14:47

Wow! Looks good. I ordered the cali dial...
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 16 Oct 2014 15:19

Ed.YEO wrote:I was just about to send him the enquiry on the stock availability of the ST19 Moonphase Chronos, since it was listed as available for order since Monday...
Sure or not..I go website no have lei

Sorry for the typos..am using auto correction.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 16 Oct 2014 15:43

We only offer 5 x chronographs every month, it is a long wait list. The 2014 &
2015's 1st quarter is fully booked already.
We will not accept any new orders nor reservations until early 2015.
http://www.perpetual-watch.com/chronograph.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wah lau ehh... I totally missed out this part. Only put my focus on the SOLD OUT sign on the prices indicated like other models... :oops: