Cleaning your watch , How Do you Do It ?

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools

Cleaning your watch , How Do you Do It ?

Post by 004 » 15 Mar 2013 20:06

Question ?? How do you clean your watch or dont you even bother ?

My Seiko's are 10bar water resist , so i rince them in fresh water & use a old toothbrush with some mild soapy solution . i proceed to brush around the glass , case & bracelet , then i rince it off & use a clean towel to dry it off .
The watch looks like new once again & all the built up micro dirt is gone leaving a fresh clean watch to place on my wrist again .
Astro2212

Re: Cleaning your watch , How Do you Do It ?

Post by Astro2212 » 15 Mar 2013 20:32

Any wristshots???must b lnib wor
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 15 Mar 2013 21:33

i don't usually clean my watches but if there's really a need, i uses the same method as you

but i'm more anal about preowned bracelet, especially if I just bought it preowned off from seller.

I'll use Jif & toothbrush to clean the bracelet or a simple jewellery sonic cleaner machine.

watch head, I'll just use microfibre cloth(those for cleaning spectacles) to clean the case & caseback.
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 15 Mar 2013 21:46

lunarin79 wrote:i don't usually clean my watches but if there's really a need, i uses the same method as you

but i'm more anal about preowned bracelet, especially if I just bought it preowned off from seller.

I'll use Jif & toothbrush to clean the bracelet or a simple jewellery sonic cleaner machine.

watch head, I'll just use microfibre cloth(those for cleaning spectacles) to clean the case & caseback.
Can help me clean my 梅花 spring bars bo???sibeh rusty n dirty
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 15 Mar 2013 22:00

Astro2212 wrote: Can help me clean my 梅花 spring bars bo???sibeh rusty n dirty
u ar?

go buy new springbar la
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
Badern

Post by Badern » 16 Mar 2013 00:13

As most of my watches are divers I normally use an old toothbrush and toothpaste. I find the fine abrasives in the toothpaste helps in the process. The minty fresh smell is a plus :lol:
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 16 Mar 2013 07:15

Badern wrote:As most of my watches are divers I normally use an old toothbrush and toothpaste. I find the fine abrasives in the toothpaste helps in the process. The minty fresh smell is a plus :lol:
Bro you don't use a prophyjet? Hahaha!
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 16 Mar 2013 08:49

Badern wrote:As most of my watches are divers I normally use an old toothbrush and toothpaste. I find the fine abrasives in the toothpaste helps in the process. The minty fresh smell is a plus :lol:
You just don't want to waste the old toothbrush right? Wah old toothpaste also have? (I try to use new) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alcohol wipes are a good disinfectant and washing with water helps. Obviously I find it most helpful to have a pair of hands in addition to the microfibre cloths for drying. Hmm ultrasonic cleaners for jewellery, where's a good place to get one?
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
kiwitan

Post by kiwitan » 16 Mar 2013 09:49

I buy my ultrasonic cleaners from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ul ... r&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 16 Mar 2013 10:09

Cosmograph wrote:
You just don't want to waste the old toothbrush right? Wah old toothpaste also have? (I try to use new) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alcohol wipes are a good disinfectant and washing with water helps. Obviously I find it most helpful to have a pair of hands in addition to the microfibre cloths for drying. Hmm ultrasonic cleaners for jewellery, where's a good place to get one?
I got one in Home Fix or DIY Fix, 1 of those shops... really good for cleaning the bracelets, rings and other stuff... you see the micro dirt coming out.. yucks :lol:
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
lvsttoh

Post by lvsttoh » 16 Mar 2013 12:21

Cape Cod Cloth from HomeFix DIY. It is great.
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 16 Mar 2013 12:52

lvsttoh wrote:Cape Cod Cloth from HomeFix DIY. It is great.
Yes but only on polished surfaces I was told. Not brushed surfaces.
sellwatch

Post by sellwatch » 16 Mar 2013 13:33

Ultrasonic for me too. For new divers, whole head goes in together with bracelet. For vintage no.
fir_chan

Post by fir_chan » 16 Mar 2013 15:10

So many tips.... what is a good way for Vintage watches?

I have been trying to secure the case first then trying hard to use Q Tips to wipes the tiny grooves.

Is there a better more practical way to do this?
Feeling "Seik".... need antidotes to feed my Seik-ddiction

Will Always be keen on Seiko Vintages:

6105-8110/8000
62MAS
6159-7001/7010
Badern

Post by Badern » 17 Mar 2013 08:51

rogue_hog wrote:
Bro you don't use a prophyjet? Hahaha!
Only if they need scaling! Hahahah!
fireal

Post by fireal » 17 Mar 2013 14:25

mama lemon
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
peh23

Post by peh23 » 19 Mar 2013 00:24

Hi,
wana check with u guys if u know how to remove the bezel of a Seiko map meter watch? Feel like removing it for polishing and cleaning inside. Any advise?
fireal

Post by fireal » 19 Mar 2013 13:43

most likely just slip thin blade between bezel n case and snap open like seiko monster

but u better check around first :)
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
jaydentan

Post by jaydentan » 19 Mar 2013 15:36

I generally clean the dial and glass with soft cloth,and stores it after use in watch box. :D
peh23

Post by peh23 » 24 Mar 2013 11:52

fireal wrote:most likely just slip thin blade between bezel n case and snap open like seiko monster

but u better check around first :)
I tried but surround it is the rubber shroud ,so dunno which angle to slot it in to pry it up. I've tried thin blade flat screw driver but it's tight so I dare not pry up more before check around which is the best method.