modded seiko watches

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
kuang89

modded seiko watches

Post by kuang89 » 28 May 2013 15:05

Hi all,

I tried finding online (only first page of the google results) for more resources but still unsure on this topic.

I am embarking on the never ending journey of modding watches, just want to find out for dial, and hands mod, do the watch loses its water resistence? the diving with oxygen tank kind, I was planning to get a seiko fff for diving, i also do have a monster and I'm deciding whether to mod it or not.

anyone here modded their watches and took it diving? no very deep since it is open water diving, doubt i'll even go near 30m.
seiko siao

Re: modded seiko watches

Post by seiko siao » 28 May 2013 16:25

kuang89 wrote:Hi all,

I tried finding online (only first page of the google results) for more resources but still unsure on this topic.

I am embarking on the never ending journey of modding watches, just want to find out for dial, and hands mod, do the watch loses its water resistence? the diving with oxygen tank kind, I was planning to get a seiko fff for diving, i also do have a monster and I'm deciding whether to mod it or not.

anyone here modded their watches and took it diving? no very deep since it is open water diving, doubt i'll even go near 30m.
i will try not to even swim with a modded watch.but if i wanted to i will go for a water pressure test before doing so as modding watch,the technicians will not do water pressure test unless u request and pay for it provided that they can do it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 28 May 2013 17:06

i know i say liao most people here will cringe abit, i planning to go open water diving with a seiko fff just a dial mod...haha...anybody else here devil may care n did it before?
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 28 May 2013 18:18

kuang89 wrote:Hi all,

i have had this conversation before with Herz and we both have similar opinion: that in a pressure test, the technician carrying out the test does not do anything special to the watch to ensure extra water tightness.. he just checks if the watch fails or not in a pressure environment.

the thing that is keeping out the water and keeping pressure is the gasket.

So, if you ever open up a new watch to mod and you want to ensure certain level of water resistance, you should ALWAYS replace with a new gasket.
It is also very important to use the silicone grease on the gasket as it is water phobic (repels water).
After which, the caseback should be screwed back with the correct tools and screwed tight... how tight? I do not know. I dont know if watchmakers use a torque wrench or anything like that.

this is just an opinion... we could be wrong as we are not watchmakers, nor do we have experience in pressure testing.
end of the day, the risk and decision to take the plunge (literally) is yours to make. :)

if you are modding an old or vintage watch... i suggest you should not dive at all with it unless you have had it professionally pressure tested.
seiko siao

Post by seiko siao » 28 May 2013 18:57

kuang89 wrote:i know i say liao most people here will cringe abit, i planning to go open water diving with a seiko fff just a dial mod...haha...anybody else here devil may care n did it before?
u say u know liao but ur first post din talk about that, only mention u're on a never ending journery of modding watches.

if u say u know liao then u still wanna ask about it?

you can be the daredeveil and test it after which you give us the result.

anyway maybe it's me but i'm rather pissed off & offended with ur reply and i will stay out of here and out of any topic that you created or asked to prevent any arguement.

Thank you.
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0
Kramer

Post by Kramer » 28 May 2013 20:28

can, can dive but make sure proper pressure tests have been done. I've worn modded watches into the pool before and they have been fine. of course, this no guarantee but it shows that modded watches can be water tight.
Check my blog out here!
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 28 May 2013 20:43

Chill bro ss...frenly dun mean to offend anyone..I know there are some ppl here 50m also Wun take for swimming..I'm not one of them but neither am I those kind who take a 100m watch for 150m dives...I just thot it would be good to garner some feedback and see around tis local watch community here who try before...I dun always trust what I see in ang night forums...
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 28 May 2013 21:25

Its a watch that looks like a dive watch with rotating Bezel. Assuming it's the,same model we r,talking Abt.

But crown still non screw in.( correct me if I'm wrong)

Case back is a clear display,another area for water entry under pressure.

Given this basic condition,even w/o mod,right bought off the shelf, I wun bring it even for swimming.

Sent using Tapatalk
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
kuang89

Post by kuang89 » 28 May 2013 21:40

Ya...true...the watch is non screw down...a shop owner in lucky plaza told me I'm looking at a divers watch...Wat a con...
Kramer

Post by Kramer » 28 May 2013 22:21

screwdown crown isn't the sole factor for water resistance. a screwdown crown without gaskets is as good as no water resistance.

water resistance is provided by gaskets, not screwdown crowns.

metal on metal = no water resistance regardless of screwdown or not. the snzh series is up to 100m water resistance, i would bring this watch into water with confidence.
Check my blog out here!
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 May 2013 12:37

Don't know about others but I swim with the snzh watches even after basic mod. So far so good no issues. They are about as 'cheap' as one can get for an automatic. It's sad if anything should go wrong but hey, owner is the one who makes the decision. 100M water resistance to me is sufficient for a swim. A dive is a tad different as the bottom of a swimming pool is from 1-3M maybe. For dives, its 10M-30M. To me the difference is many times more.

If want to be sure, go dive with a cheap gshock or no watch at all. If 200-300 sgd need to think so very hard and long I'd find a new hobby(which doesn't require one to test your theory) or ensure I don't wear a watch.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 29 May 2013 12:45

How to lik cosmograph post ar???
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 29 May 2013 12:56

Astro2212 wrote:How to lik cosmograph post ar???

sent from non-OT phone
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 29 May 2013 12:59

MOD dont scare.
SCARE dont mod

sent from non-OT phone
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 29 May 2013 19:07

I ensure my watches pass my pressure test before swimming in them .... (I have modded watches/ watches which have been opened passing )..

eg:
http://youtu.be/aVIRLYP1D80
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 29 May 2013 23:13

Pssstttt. Cosmograph is an elite wor. His collection very scary one.
CSV

Post by CSV » 30 May 2013 10:56

Hi Guys,

New member here. 1st post. here's mine.

Got myself a modded Seiko by Yobokies (Harold).

Base watch is an SKX 809, 7S26 movement. Changed the dial, hands, and strap.

Nothing fancy or spectacular. on my 3rd day wearing this so time keeping is still not solid yet. my only gripe is that its smaller than it appears, almost close to a ladies size. with the 18mm lugs. but i have rather small wrist as well.

Considering the trend for big watches now, maybe not so bad to be unique and wear something small.

Was actually aiming for a Sinn 556/856 and was at Hour Glass trying them on. was out of budget so I didn't really went for them.

Considering the price I paid (nearly 1/5th of the Sinn), its quite good value!

Abit of googling found this mod.it's quite popular as well, and a close match.

Currently looking for tanned oiled leather straps to complement it. Any guys know where I can get them? Choy Hing at Bras Basah has alot of variety but not in the shade that I want, though I did get the black leather strap there. Had a nice chat with the owner as well.