Grand Seiko SBGA011 vs Rolex Explorer II

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 28 Sep 2014 12:17

I,m targetting my next watch sometime in Janûary and deciding between these 2. Either a Grand Seiko sBGA011 or a white 40mm Rolex Explorer II. Would love to get both.but my bonus isn,t that much :D what do you guys think will be the consideratio.n to choose either watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
chriscentro

Re: Grand Seiko SBGA011 vs Rolex Explorer II

Post by chriscentro » 28 Sep 2014 14:03

I wish I have this decision to make.

If it were me, I would choose the snow flake as I think it's more difficult to source for one and it has a wonderfully accurate movement with magical gliding second hand.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 28 Sep 2014 21:24

My friend you ask this in a Seiko Forum...what do you think the verdict will be.. :lol:
But for what its worth, I think its not comparing apples to apples.
Both are great watches but having an Explorer II and a GS (mech) I can only say the workmanship on the Rolex is not as refined as the GS. But if you want resale and recognition, it has to be the Rolex.
I had the Rolex for quite awhile now so I can atest to its ruggedness and durability and reliabilty. As for the GS, so far so good. I do not know about the spring drives though.
The Rolex has another avantage of a GMT hand.
The Rolex in its current guise is I think a bit more expensive. Who know what it will cost come Jan 2015 while the yen is in a good position for GS purchases.
So really its up to you as it is your bonus not everyone else's.
However in true Seiko Club tradition I would say ......
Go for the Grand SEIKO...what else...hahahaha :roll:
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 28 Sep 2014 21:48

Buy a Seiko.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 28 Sep 2014 22:53

Snowflake if you are after a Spring Drive and dress piece & most importantly a keeper. Rolex if you intend to flip at some point. Both are decent watches in their own right.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 00:50

I,m leaning towards snowflake personally too. But the explorer ii is undeniably easier to flip if i ever need to. Lol.

Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 00:51

KKFA wrote:My friend you ask this in a Seiko Forum...what do you think the verdict will be.. :lol:
But for what its worth, I think its not comparing apples to apples.
Both are great watches but having an Explorer II and a GS (mech) I can only say the workmanship on the Rolex is not as refined as the GS. But if you want resale and recognition, it has to be the Rolex.
I had the Rolex for quite awhile now so I can atest to its ruggedness and durability and reliabilty. As for the GS, so far so good. I do not know about the spring drives though.
The Rolex has another avantage of a GMT hand.
The Rolex in its current guise is I think a bit more expensive. Who know what it will cost come Jan 2015 while the yen is in a good position for GS purchases.
So really its up to you as it is your bonus not everyone else's.
However in true Seiko Club tradition I would say ......
Go for the Grand SEIKO...what else...hahahaha :roll:
that,s why i,m comparing the 40mm explorer ii. I,m actually more likely to get a 42mm explorer ii but i don,t want price as part of the comparison :)
I heard about yen is low now too but i don,t keep track so i,m really unsure the relativity.and whether it,ll drop lower.

oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 29 Sep 2014 08:11

Since your bonus isn't much get the rolex in case u need cash one day. Snowflake when u have more disposable income... Sorry my 2 cents since that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 Sep 2014 09:25

Frankly if it were down to the Rolex Exp II, Personally would rather go with the 40mm older model. Yes, the bracelet may not be as good etc. but that to me is classic. The 42mm may fit those who love bigger pieces but for me, its just not as sweet, sure an "upgraded" movement and better bracelet but if 42mm, Better to get a Steiny and save the rest of the cash for something else IMO. :D
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 13:56

oncleoliver wrote:Since your bonus isn't much get the rolex in case u need cash one day. Snowflake when u have more disposable income... Sorry my 2 cents since that's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

ya i guess that's the general feeling about liquidity of the rolex brand. I don't doubt it either :)
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 13:57

Cosmograph wrote:Frankly if it were down to the Rolex Exp II, Personally would rather go with the 40mm older model. Yes, the bracelet may not be as good etc. but that to me is classic. The 42mm may fit those who love bigger pieces but for me, its just not as sweet, sure an "upgraded" movement and better bracelet but if 42mm, Better to get a Steiny and save the rest of the cash for something else IMO. :D
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 13:59

Cosmograph wrote:Frankly if it were down to the Rolex Exp II, Personally would rather go with the 40mm older model. Yes, the bracelet may not be as good etc. but that to me is classic. The 42mm may fit those who love bigger pieces but for me, its just not as sweet, sure an "upgraded" movement and better bracelet but if 42mm, Better to get a Steiny and save the rest of the cash for something else IMO. :D
i alr have all the current model steinhart ocean 42mm range except vintage red.LOL!! If aramar had not cancelled their white ocean ,i probably will not be looking for a explorer ii today. I like the 42mm simply because of the size, i like both 40mm & 42mm for the white dial :)
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Sep 2014 14:26

If it's a watch you plan on looking after for the next generation, then get the..... Snowflake!
:lol: :lol:

I agree w the rest here. If u plan on flipping for cash or trade, then the Rolex Exp II is the best choice.

Sent from The Force
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 29 Sep 2014 14:57

Next generation.... Like the Patek Phillipe ad lolz

You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 15:11

big-e-294 wrote:If it's a watch you plan on looking after for the next generation, then get the..... Snowflake!

I agree w the rest here. If u plan on flipping for cash or trade, then the Rolex Exp II is the best choice.

Sent from The Force
ya seems that is the general consensus amongst other things.but again, nobody knows will spring drive ever discontinue and if so, how to get parts replacement.
Last edited by Jeryltan on 29 Sep 2014 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Beginner1

Post by Beginner1 » 29 Sep 2014 15:12

Sir, if you value high quality dial and hands, and not so common Seiko, take the GS. But if you consider hassle free and long term spare parts availability, Rolex could be a better choice. But Rolex is too common nowadays....
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 15:13

Beginner1 wrote:Sir, if you value high quality dial and hands, and not so common Seiko, take the GS. But if you consider hassle free and long term spare parts availability, Rolex could be a better choice. But Rolex is too common nowadays....
don't call me sir le. I still young.... At heart :) LOL!
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 29 Sep 2014 16:31

Jeryltan wrote:
big-e-294 wrote:If it's a watch you plan on looking after for the next generation, then get the..... Snowflake!

Sent from The Force
ya seems that is the general consensus amongst other things.but again, nobody knows will spring drive ever discontinue and if so, how to get parts replacement.
SD spares is a concern, especially for the Quartz oscillator IC and the Regulator
Apart from that the rest is a mech watch.
But since Seiko grows their own quartz crystal, maybe it's not an issue.

SD has been around for a decade, so I doubt it be discontinued. Like the Quartz technology, Seiko is proud of the SD technology. I believe they will develop to further.

I'm not a big SD fan yet, I still prefer the tick tock of a mechanical.
But I salute Seiko on the SD engineering, it is simply amazing.

Sent from The Force
david.tan

Post by david.tan » 29 Sep 2014 16:41

snowflake 1st, exp II later

GS is for you to admire, while roc is for other to admire

:p
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Sep 2014 16:41

big-e-294 wrote:
Jeryltan wrote:ya seems that is the general consensus amongst other things.but again, nobody knows will spring drive ever discontinue and if so, how to get parts replacement.
SD spares is a concern, especially for the Quartz oscillator IC and the Regulator
Apart from that the rest is a mech watch.
But since Seiko grows their own quartz crystal, maybe it's not an issue.

SD has been around for a decade, so I doubt it be discontinued. Like the Quartz technology, Seiko is proud of the SD technology. I believe they will develop to further.

I'm not a big SD fan yet, I still prefer the tick tock of a mechanical.
But I salute Seiko on the SD engineering, it is simply amazing.

Sent from The Force
*sigh* i thougjt i was going to get the GS. But with all these maybe i will just settle for the EXPii and assure i can easier to flip ieven i decide to get tje agS instead :)