MoVas Oceaner 1

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
Jeryltan

MoVas Oceaner 1

Post by Jeryltan » 12 Jan 2015 10:40

watchlooker wrote:
balzebub71 wrote: There is nothing wrong with seagull movement. I had a few seagull watches...ST21 keeps decent time, all less than +10s per day. As long as cases by a reliable manufacturer they are good work horse movements.

The use of seagull movement in a 1k plus watch turns me off not because I doubt the reliability of the movement... It's just that for that kind of money, I have got many choices...from far more established brands and in most cases using Japanese or Swiss movements, heck I could even buy a Swiss made chronograph using a ETA 7750 for around 1.3k plus. Even a longines hydroconquest diver is around this price after discount at AD..

It's the value proposition of it...

Plus tear down done by others have shown that generally the finishing and tolerances plus small things like lubrication and QC on Swiss movements like 2824 are much better compared to a Seagull ST21, hence by reasoning the ETA will deliver more consistent timekeeping over time and be more durable.

So as long as I can buy a watch with better movement from a larger brand for the same amount of $$, I always go for the more value for money watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same can be said for a 5k seiko and a 5k rolex. No right or wrong, your call.
a 5k seiko would be grand seiko. A grand seiko movement is definitely comparable to a rolex movement. Some would say the grand seiko movement is even better finished than a basic rolex movement. But imo hardly think a ST movement would be comparable to even basic Seiko/Miyota movements like 6r or 9015. Just imo. Maybe there are people who would pay more for a ST movement than 6r or 9015, just that i'm not one of them :)
watchlooker

Re: MoVas Oceaner 1

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 11:02

I suggest you check out the current ST models to see for yourself if the quality is there to draw your own conclusion. Of course, the finishing of ST is not comparable to the Japanese side. But the seagull is working to improve on it.
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 12 Jan 2015 13:07

I guess it is the movement that hold ppl back from purchasing... imo, as many of us are still not able to accept a chinese movement to be at such price point.

I am one of them that finds it hard to justify for myself to spend around 1K for a chinese movement watch. I know I will glady pay for a Swiss at such price entry.

the only aspect that I will pay is for the design.. haha
My family, my life, my watches...
Personal favourite: Tudor Classic Moxa
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 13:33

Hahaha..... it take time.
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 12 Jan 2015 15:57

watchlooker wrote:Hahaha..... it take time.
Nevertheless, this is a local designer and surely he will have support for many who really look past the movement and appreciate his unique line of products. :D

I will have to surely and slowly think about it. the design is really unique and it appeals to me as an all occasions watch. ;)
My family, my life, my watches...
Personal favourite: Tudor Classic Moxa
rojakman

Post by rojakman » 12 Jan 2015 16:20

Stan80 wrote:
Nevertheless, this is a local designer and surely he will have support for many who really look past the movement and appreciate his unique line of products. :D

I will have to surely and slowly think about it. the design is really unique and it appeals to me as an all occasions watch. ;)
Agreed on his design being unique. His latest LE is also quite neat.
Using Tapatalk
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 12 Jan 2015 16:38

Yes. It takes time.
It's the time that SEAGULL's calibre get widely accepted. Not just the movements, but also the future watchmakers who will be handling these calibres. Not the brand.
As previously mentioned and pointed out by fellow bros here... should the "engine" under the dial was a Japanese calibre or even the competitive and much expensive, Swiss movements. MOVAS will be very hot.

Frankly speaking, SEAGULL movements to date although had been employed by various brands around the globe... folks major concern will still fall on STABILITY.
STABILITY is not just about how long the movement can last, how accurate it can be. One of the most crucial one is future serviceability. What if... One of the established GERMAN brand one day decides to use SEAGULL's ST movements into their mid-range watches? Will folks still go for the brand/label or shun away @ all costs?

In recent months, we keep seeing micro-brands using Miyota's 9xxx movements, some even priced above SGD$1k. What if the situation was turned around few years earlier? Will Miyota still be very popular?
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 12 Jan 2015 18:15

Interesting design, Ridiculous price. The ST21XX is a decent movement but not at that price range. Personally, even the micros that are using a Miyota 90XX are selling for less than the asking here. And they have been around for a while with decent CS. Have no issues with the movement and reliability. But at the ridiculous price, you make the call whether you should be spending your hard earned money like that.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 19:39

Lol.... serviceability is a factor. From what I knew, seagull do not service their movt. They just swap out the problem movt with a new movt which is more cost effective to them. Not sure how true it is.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 12 Jan 2015 19:53

Cosmograph wrote:Interesting design, Ridiculous price. The ST21XX is a decent movement but not at that price range. Personally, even the micros that are using a Miyota 90XX are selling for less than the asking here. And they have been around for a while with decent CS. Have no issues with the movement and reliability. But at the ridiculous price, you make the call whether you should be spending your hard earned money like that.
Yah I have to agree that much as I like the design... I just can't pay the asking price. Same reason why although I quite like sevenfriday designs I also just can't part with the money for one. Maybe one day when 1k plus plus is pocket change to me...

I want to be a one watch guy!!
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 19:57

balzebub71 wrote:
Cosmograph wrote:Interesting design, Ridiculous price. The ST21XX is a decent movement but not at that price range. Personally, even the micros that are using a Miyota 90XX are selling for less than the asking here. And they have been around for a while with decent CS. Have no issues with the movement and reliability. But at the ridiculous price, you make the call whether you should be spending your hard earned money like that.
Yah I have to agree that much as I like the design... I just can't pay the asking price. Same reason why although I quite like sevenfriday designs I also just can't part with the money for one. Maybe one day when 1k plus plus is pocket change to me...

+1