MoVas Oceaner 1

General topics regarding watches, accessories or tools
Stan80

MoVas Oceaner 1

Post by Stan80 » 11 Jan 2015 10:19

I just happen to see this diver from moVas

http://www.movaswatches.com/oceaner-1/

I wonder anyone here has a up front encounter and how is the built? Running a seagull movement with such price point is a little high i feel, but the effort into the design and ecstatic earns the justification.
My family, my life, my watches...
Personal favourite: Tudor Classic Moxa
balzebub71

Re: MoVas Oceaner 1

Post by balzebub71 » 11 Jan 2015 10:43

Never heard of this brand before. But there are a few other micro/mushroom brand with this dual crown design. But this case used by Movas looks interesting...but 1300SGD for a modified ST21 movement driven watch is too much for me to swallow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 11 Jan 2015 10:53

balzebub71 wrote:Never heard of this brand before. But there are a few other micro/mushroom brand with this dual crown design. But this case used by Movas looks interesting...but 1300SGD for a modified ST21 movement driven watch is too much for me to swallow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes sir, if i can get myself past the ST21 movement, i believe it is on my eanted list. Haha
cirdec

Post by cirdec » 11 Jan 2015 12:07

the designs are quite unique. the Seagull movement is the deal breaker. If it had a seiko or miyota, (the latter is preferred) it would be easier to swallow given the price tag.
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 11 Jan 2015 13:35

There is nothing wrong with the seagull movt. I owned a few seagull watches and they were good.
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 11 Jan 2015 13:47

watchlooker wrote:There is nothing wrong with the seagull movt. I owned a few seagull watches and they were good.
Sir, like to know where can service seagull movements? I am worried more abt the servicing of the movements years down the road.
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 11 Jan 2015 13:50

Stan80 wrote:
watchlooker wrote:There is nothing wrong with the seagull movt. I owned a few seagull watches and they were good.
Sir, like to know where can service seagull movements? I am worried more abt the servicing of the movements years down the road.
Firstly, I am not a Sir. Call be bro can liao. Secondly, locally send to K2 for service. If worse, send to seagull in HK.
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 11 Jan 2015 13:51

watchlooker wrote:
Stan80 wrote: Sir, like to know where can service seagull movements? I am worried more abt the servicing of the movements years down the road.
Firstly, I am not a Sir. Call be bro can liao. Secondly, locally send to K2 for service. If worse, send to seagull in HK.
Noted bro. Haha.
I think I can start to read up more on chinese movements.
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 11 Jan 2015 13:57

Stan80 wrote:
watchlooker wrote:
Noted bro. Haha.
I think I can start to read up more on chinese movements.
Welcome. ;)

Take your time to read up more on seagull. The current make movt is quite robust, at least to me they had taken steps to improve the movt quality.
Stan80

Post by Stan80 » 11 Jan 2015 13:59

Till now, i only have contact with ETA, Seiko and Miyota movements, so I am very much a starter into Chinese movement.
Coz at such price point, servicing will be quite a focus i will like understand. Haha
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 11 Jan 2015 14:06

Easy.... everyone had to start somewhere.... hahaha... I am very much into chrono whatever the movt or brand as long as it is vfm. Still my core collection remain Seiko.
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 11 Jan 2015 14:35

Mr Goh will service sea gull?

Sorry for the typos..am using auto correction.
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 11 Jan 2015 14:39

doinkydoink wrote:Mr Goh will service sea gull?

Sorry for the typos..am using auto correction.
Depend.... :roll:
cirdec

Post by cirdec » 11 Jan 2015 15:29

Nothing wrong with seagull movement. Just that the percieved value of it compared to miyota and seiko is lower. I owned a watch with seagull movement before, no issues at all.
rojakman

Post by rojakman » 11 Jan 2015 19:48

Movas build their watches from parts sourced overseas in SG. Their workshop is located in the eastern part of SG. if you have any issues with the watch, u can easily return it to them for checks or servicing.

I have contacted movas a few times and he is more than willing to invite me to his workshop to take a look at the watches. So you can touch feel it before u purchase. Their watches are quite big and if you have a small wrist, you might want to try it on.

the watch price for the sea gull movement always hold me back from getting one from movas and making a visit to his workshop. But his watch designs are interesting. :)
Using Tapatalk
Trident

Post by Trident » 11 Jan 2015 20:29

half bicycle workshop and half watch factory, interesting place.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 11 Jan 2015 23:31

There is nothing wrong with seagull movement. I had a few seagull watches...ST21 keeps decent time, all less than +10s per day. As long as cases by a reliable manufacturer they are good work horse movements.

The use of seagull movement in a 1k plus watch turns me off not because I doubt the reliability of the movement... It's just that for that kind of money, I have got many choices...from far more established brands and in most cases using Japanese or Swiss movements, heck I could even buy a Swiss made chronograph using a ETA 7750 for around 1.3k plus. Even a longines hydroconquest diver is around this price after discount at AD..

It's the value proposition of it...

Plus tear down done by others have shown that generally the finishing and tolerances plus small things like lubrication and QC on Swiss movements like 2824 are much better compared to a Seagull ST21, hence by reasoning the ETA will deliver more consistent timekeeping over time and be more durable.

So as long as I can buy a watch with better movement from a larger brand for the same amount of $$, I always go for the more value for money watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 08:51

balzebub71 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with seagull movement. I had a few seagull watches...ST21 keeps decent time, all less than +10s per day. As long as cases by a reliable manufacturer they are good work horse movements.

The use of seagull movement in a 1k plus watch turns me off not because I doubt the reliability of the movement... It's just that for that kind of money, I have got many choices...from far more established brands and in most cases using Japanese or Swiss movements, heck I could even buy a Swiss made chronograph using a ETA 7750 for around 1.3k plus. Even a longines hydroconquest diver is around this price after discount at AD..

Plus tear down done by others have shown that generally the finishing and tolerances plus small things like lubrication and QC on Swiss movements like 2824 are much better compared to a Seagull ST21, hence by reasoning the ETA will deliver more consistent timekeeping over time and be more durable.

So as long as I can buy a watch with better movement from a larger brand for the same amount of $$, I always go for the more value for money watch?

The same can be said for a 5k seiko and a 5k rolex. No right or wrong, your call.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 12 Jan 2015 09:03

watchlooker wrote:
balzebub71 wrote: There is nothing wrong with seagull movement. I had a few seagull watches...ST21 keeps decent time, all less than +10s per day. As long as cases by a reliable manufacturer they are good work horse movements.

The same can be said for a 5k seiko and a 5k rolex. No right or wrong, your call.
Oh no...a Seiko vs Rolex thread haha.

But seriously a 5k Seiko would likely be a GS. Not the same when u compare a 1k plus micro brand with Chinese movement versus a 1k plus Swiss movement/made watch. Even if Brand is disregarded most would pick the Swiss as it's better value? For your Seiko and Rolex, both are comparable in movement quality and finishing...in some ways the high beat or SD is IMO one up on a 318x movement, for these two it only boils down to brand and personal preference; not as clear cut a difference.
But yes end of day it's a personal choice. Just sharing my own decision making thought process and it is because of this that I have yet to own any micro brand watches that cost more than $600. To me once the price goes beyond that there are plenty of choices from major brands out there.

watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 12 Jan 2015 09:31

Hahaha.... you have a few gd points there.