Automatic or quartz

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
demogoblin

Automatic or quartz

Post by demogoblin » 30 Aug 2014 19:13

Guys,

What influenced your decision?

I am budgeting for a higher end seiko. A quartz version of the same series seems significantly cheaper (and of course more accurate). But does this matter to you guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
balzebub71

Re: Automatic or quartz

Post by balzebub71 » 30 Aug 2014 20:58

Eh...what higher end seiko? Is it GS? If so a GS quartz is a good place to start, super accurate with a 50 years service cycle..can get new below 3k for non LE model, what's not to like? After that if truly impressed with VS quality and finishing, then hoot GS spring drive and then GS high beat auto..

Sent via carrier pigeons
I want to be a one watch guy!!
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 30 Aug 2014 21:15

Haha, I think higher end may still be below the really high end where the GS is.. :D

Anyway, personal choice. For me it is always going to be mechanical movements be it hand wind or automatic. I like the craftmanship and the sheer thinking that goes into all these little parts that makes the watch tick. This of course does not put down a high end quartz movement like those in the GS which can be beautifully executed. But I still think the artistry may be a tad less than that in mechanical movements. Of course as always I am glad to stand corrected by more experienced bros here.

But I might go for a GS spring drive too as the ultimate hybrid.

Meanwhile I would say look into your heart and listen to its beat, is it beating quartz or do you hear the tick tock of mechanicals? Mine has always been..tick tock tick tock tick tock :D

Good hunting.

Ps

Just OT a bit, I would say GS spring dirve may be techincally more sophisticated than even the high beat. Though the GS high beat is in my opinion one of the very best mechanical non complicated movement around at the moment.
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 30 Aug 2014 21:43

gS got less than 3k??? Sorry I a it mountain tortoise here. Care to share?

I am actually comparing between 1000m quartz tuna and emperor tuna.

Trying to convince MOF to give approval before purchase .

But so far all watches shown to her got a yucks and ugly reaction from her lol.

chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 30 Aug 2014 21:46

demogoblin wrote:gS got less than 3k??? Sorry I a it mountain tortoise here. Care to share?

sound very familiar :lol:
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 30 Aug 2014 21:50

I am sure you feel the same about her bags and shoes. Dare you to yuck at them though.;)
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 30 Aug 2014 22:33

demogoblin wrote:gS got less than 3k??? Sorry I a it mountain tortoise here. Care to share?

You earn your own money so why need approval? Hahaha.

Anyway OT already, let get back to auto or quartz...

Ps

Buy the emperor no regrets if you like chunky big watches with a excellent movement. Sorry OT again.
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 30 Aug 2014 22:49

Haha if I say either line to her I think not only will I not get to buy my current watches will be gone too :p ok shall go try out the emperor lol tactically of course....

chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 30 Aug 2014 22:53

Correct me if I'm wrong. All quartz with ticking second hands won't hit all the minute markers exactly right?
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 30 Aug 2014 23:09

Hmmm not sure..so far my astron and kinetic premier seems quite dead on. They do hit every minute marker.

KKFA

Post by KKFA » 30 Aug 2014 23:34

chriscentro wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. All quartz with ticking second hands won't hit all the minute markers exactly right?
Huh? GS quartz also? Not really leh. Have seen many that hits the mark spot on everytime.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 30 Aug 2014 23:35

demogoblin wrote:Hmmm not sure..so far my astron and kinetic premier seems quite dead on. They do hit every minute marker.

Wow astron.. high tech stuff. Looks like you lean towards non mech movements..hahaha.
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 30 Aug 2014 23:40

I am open to learning mech movements :) but astron was really special to me so I could not resist the temptation. Was too late for the limited edition though.

balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 31 Aug 2014 08:36

Ya GS quartz can be had for around 2.5k to 3k depending on which model. SBGX059 around 2.5k while a slightly more sporty and larger SBGX053 around 3k. And for GS quartz the second hand supposed to hit all the markers? For the two tunas that you are considering, if u like accuracy then the Darth tuna is better, the emperor's movement is the same as the mm300 so like a lucky draw, u never know what u get?

Sent via carrier pigeons
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 31 Aug 2014 09:02

Balzebub71 is k2 able to do magic to improve its accuracy?
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 31 Aug 2014 09:20

Just to add in, if accuracy is reallh very anal to you, then always go for quartz or plonk out more for spring drives. My most accurate watch in my modest assembly is a Casio. So far 0 seconds difference over 1 month already.

Even with the best mechanical over time it will drift. So...you decide..

As for Tunas, I have seen the 015 and 017 ones hitting the minute mark. At least the ones I saw.

For the emperor, have not heard much about its time keeping, maybe you can search the all knowing net.

Ps

Mine is so far steady at +3 to 4 second per day.
balzebub71

Automatic or quartz

Post by balzebub71 » 31 Aug 2014 09:41

demogoblin wrote:Balzebub71 is k2 able to do magic to improve its accuracy?
Need to call and ask? But being a 8L35 I am sure he can regulate it, only question is dies he have time?
Thong Sia can also do it but quoting the watch tech there "8L35 should be sent back to japan for servicing, but simple regulation we can try yo do it here"
As many bros here will say, if u are anal about accuracy like me, then a COSC certified mechanical, spring drive, quartz, super quartz, GPS time sync, GS mechanical should be your first choice.
Otherwise must depend on luck liao...
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 31 Aug 2014 11:12

balzebub71 wrote:
demogoblin wrote:Balzebub71 is k2 able to do magic to improve its accuracy?
Need to call and ask? But being a 8L35 I am sure he can regulate it, only question is dies he have time?
Thong Sia can also do it but quoting the watch tech there "8L35 should be sent back to japan for servicing, but simple regulation we can try yo do it here"
As many bros here will say, if u are anal about accuracy like me, then a COSC certified mechanical, spring drive, quartz, super quartz, GPS time sync, GS mechanical should be your first choice.
Does your Sinn quartz hit all the minute markers accurately?
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 31 Aug 2014 12:20

chriscentro wrote:
balzebub71 wrote: Need to call and ask? But being a 8L35 I am sure he can regulate it, only question is dies he have time?
Does your Sinn quartz hit all the minute markers accurately?
Sinn quartz is oil filled, so the entire watch is submerged in oil. As such, it is impossible for the seconds hand to hit the markers, in fact if you Google ux second hand bounce u will see that the second hands ticks forward then bounced back a bit with every tick. If that bothers you, steer clear.

Sent via carrier pigeons
sbc

Post by sbc » 31 Aug 2014 13:19

Accuracy is important to me so I only buy quartz. I really like the new Dracula Monster but I don't know if I can live with the few minutes per month deviation. So far all the new watches I bought have been solar quartz.
Japanese watches rock!!!