is seiko solar diver watches good to buy n collect?

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
king01sg

Post by king01sg » 20 Aug 2014 14:36

Advises pls.
Thank u
lunarin79
CEO

Re: is seiko solar diver watches good to buy n collect?

Post by lunarin79 » 20 Aug 2014 15:14

Collect?

care to elaborate more on it?
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 20 Aug 2014 17:18

Can collect? I mean they are great grab and go watch....low maintenance...if only got perpetual calendar even better. But collecting for what purpose?

Sent via carrier pigeons
I want to be a one watch guy!!
jtfoo

Post by jtfoo » 21 Aug 2014 08:47

I have a SSC015 as one of my collections of watches, is that what you mean? I really like this watch alot. Bracelt has diver extension somemore.. Intend to get the other variant of the same series, I guess this is call collecting.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 21 Aug 2014 09:05

It depends on individual.
If you're buying all the 6 different variants as a set for "investment" such that when they're discontinued in the future, you won't loose much on what you have spent... forget about it. Watches are never good investment.
However, in different case... for example like me, hoot all 4 different variants just for the purpose wearing for a week, yes... they're worth "collecting" as every single day you get different face on your wrist. The same goes to the Bambinos as well as the Monsters...

The Seiko Solar Chrono diver, aka SSC'd which I often regard as, looks good both in office as well as outfield. Although the advantage of being powered by Solar energy and being Quartz watch gives the ease in saving from frequent time setting when compared to Mechanical, the Solar Chrono movement doesn't get enough charge in most office environment due to fluorescent lighting in contrast to sunlight charging.

Currently, if you go for P.I. stocks, priced below 250, it's a good buy. Fun? For me yeah, for you... it depends on your preference.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 21 Aug 2014 10:24

Ed.YEO wrote:It depends on individual.
If you're buying all the 6 different variants as a set for "investment" such that when they're discontinued in the future, you won't loose much on what you have spent... forget about it. Watches are never good investment.
However, in different case... for example like me, hoot all 4 different variants just for the purpose wearing for a week, yes... they're worth "collecting" as every single day you get different face on your wrist. The same goes to the Bambinos as well as the Monsters...

The Seiko Solar Chrono diver, aka SSC'd which I often regard as, looks good both in office as well as outfield. Although the advantage of being powered by Solar energy and being Quartz watch gives the ease in saving from frequent time setting when compared to Mechanical, the Solar Chrono movement doesn't get enough charge in most office environment due to fluorescent lighting in contrast to sunlight charging.

Currently, if you go for P.I. stocks, priced below 250, it's a good buy. Fun? For me yeah, for you... it depends on your preference.
Well said. To have fun and enjoy what you have is really what this is about imho. Of course, many enjoy different aspects of a watch so that they collect or assemble collections based soley on that. In this sense if you enjoy the technical aspect of a solar watch, yes, it is worth collecting. It may be the design you are into, or the colours, if yes then it is worth collecting.

I have one in amongst my watches, more for the sake of wanting to have as complete a set of mechanisms that power time pieces as I can, affordability permitting.

Enjoy your journey, know what you want.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 21 Aug 2014 12:46

No point collecting. Buy it to wear and enjoy. If lose feel, sell it. Buy buy buy...sell sell sell...This is what makes the world goes round.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
jtfoo

Post by jtfoo » 21 Aug 2014 13:48

By my definition, if you more than necessary is collecting.. You only need one working watch, probably one for diefferent occasion. Any excess is called collecting. I'm definitely collecting..
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 21 Aug 2014 15:24

I am trying to not collect...sell..sell

Sent via carrier pigeons
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 21 Aug 2014 17:52

TS, how's your view?
sbc

Post by sbc » 22 Aug 2014 08:42

Don't know about collecting but definitely a good buy. I have bought a pair of Seiko solar and now have caught the bug.
Japanese watches rock!!!
king01sg

Post by king01sg » 22 Aug 2014 23:10

thank you for replying.glad to know the reasons why u chose a solar. becos i am going to buy three differnet color and kept them and rotate for daily beater.
i also got 3 kinetic diver.so i can wear alll of them for a long long time.
in the past i buy one seiko and wear daily for 2 year, end up the watch suffer wear and tear and i give up on watches.
now i try a differnet approach.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 22 Aug 2014 23:17

different people collects differently.

some will get 3 watches; a dress watch, a diver watch & a quartz/digital watch. All bases covered.

WIS will buy & buy... & buy, always have a reason to add on a new watch, though they are wearing the same few as daily beater.

Some like to collect a set, for eg; Seiko Sumo, collect all 3 variants.

Ultimately, it depends on one's need.

Your 3 solar & 3 kinetic, like you said, will definitely last you a long time :lol:
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 23 Aug 2014 00:34

If in doubt, just buy!
king01sg

Post by king01sg » 25 Aug 2014 10:42

hahahaha
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 25 Aug 2014 12:50

ivan wrote:If in doubt, just buy!
Hoot first talk later...

Sent via carrier pigeons
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Sep 2014 22:05

Lovin this discussion. One has got to reconcile that collecting watches can barely/only/ at most hold it's "2nd hand value". When a person buys a BNIB watch she/he will automatically be 20-40% poorer, sometimes more. :( My best advise, buy pre-own!
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
sbc

Post by sbc » 18 Sep 2014 22:53

But but...I want to be the 1st owner. Haha.
Japanese watches rock!!!
galaxy_convoy

Post by galaxy_convoy » 19 Sep 2014 09:14

I would like to start "collecting" Seiko Monsters. My first Orange Monster has bitten me hard. :)

So my view is, if you like the watch(es) and can afford it, go ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 19 Sep 2014 09:57

sbc wrote:But but...I want to be the 1st owner. Haha.
haha, then be prepared to write it off or bear with the potential losses. :)
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg