Watch Winder

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
Remedy

Watch Winder

Post by Remedy » 17 Apr 2011 03:27

Hi Guys,

Looking at watch winders but reading the article on sg roc makes me more confused and afraid of getting one. it mentions about the correct directions and turns per day. putting watch in the wrong direction may damage the watch movement.

How do I know if it is the correct direction? is it ok to keep adjusting time and date once every 5 weeks which eliminates the need of a winder?

what are the pros and cons of using a watch winder?
phantom150

Re: Watch Winder

Post by phantom150 » 17 Apr 2011 04:12

seiko can be wind both directions ,Clockwise-cw(k2's only turns clock wise) or counterclockwise-ccw, tpd aka turns per day, usually 650-750 will be able to keep the watch winding liao.

dun have to set high tpd, cos u just want the watch to be running, so no pt run high tpd and fully wind the main spring.

watch winder dun eliminates the need to adjust time, no auto watch even the 100k wans can claim they dun go out of tune.

only quartz and digital can claim very good time keeping compared to automatics.

if u have a few watches- a few boxes, and dun like to pull out the crown each time to adjust time,or do some shaking then this is useful.

From engineering pt of view, watch winders cuts down the wear and tear, esp on the crown and stem, each time we unscrew/screw, its a wear and tear, and in some bad cases, u screw in wrongly, both threads get CRossed, if only the crown, not so bad, can change easily, if the other pc, more work required.
Each time u pull out the crown, to adjust timing, there's also force on the stem, esp when u go into 2nd or 3rd click to adjust date and time.
Usually the crown get dislodges from the stem, in some cases, the crown stays on, but stems breaks!!

There's always a saying , if the thing is running well, dun disturb it, just like machines, auto watches work that way too.
if keep running they last longer than watches that start and go from time to time.
running the watches also keep the lubricant well spread, not chunk up.

some claim, the time keeping is not so good on a watch that has rested for sometime, initially, after it gets going for 1-2 days, it settles downs.

However, jap watches are made to last, esp if u buy them new, most likley you wun see the problems i mentioned.

so most ppl here dun really use or have a winder.

That said, again its subjective depending on individual, as some prefer the manual shaking........

all said are based on some internet info i googled b4 and some personal working experiences with machines. ......
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
Remedy

Post by Remedy » 17 Apr 2011 15:00

thanks for the brilliant info bro!
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 17 Apr 2011 15:26

haha, let me confuse you with another school of thought.

Putting your watch on the winder 24/7 is as good as wear and tear for the entire movement.

The best is rotate your watches often to keep the oil well spread in the movement, exercise caution with the crown, save the winder $$ and buy another watch.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
Remedy

Post by Remedy » 17 Apr 2011 22:26

roo7 wrote:haha, let me confuse you with another school of thought.

Putting your watch on the winder 24/7 is as good as wear and tear for the entire movement.

The best is rotate your watches often to keep the oil well spread in the movement, exercise caution with the crown, save the winder $$ and buy another watch.
:? :? :?

sadness i think best is to spend time shaking my watches
sys12345

Post by sys12345 » 17 Apr 2011 22:27

U can use bi-directional winding for various auto movements like Seiko 7SXX, Swiss ETA 2824/2892, Rolex 31XX, etc. movements. There are some movements which only supports directional winding, such as a Valjoux 7750 in a counter-clockwise direction. Most of these movements are equipped with an over-wind protection, so technically speaking u cant overwind a watch. Winding efficiency can also be affected by the angle that the watch is mounted on the winder. U simply set the TPD according to the specs of the movement or to the closest TPD setting u can find. Due to the design and your wearing habits, u may need to experiment & use the appropriate setting for your requirement. Regardless of whichever school of thought, getting a winder is basically more for convenience. Some may have a few watches in the collection and as such, may not be worn on a daily basis. Using a winder keeps the watch ticking, freeing the hassle of setting the time/date each time before wearing. Of course, some WIS may argue that a winder takes away the joy of fiddling around with your watch but there are instances where u dont have the luxury of time. In addition, certain watches with complication may be better off sitting on a winder, as it is a hassle and time-consuming process to set it. As an eg, consider the Rolex 3185/6 GMT movement, which has a quick-set hour hand without a quick-set date feature. Imagine the date today is 31st and when u pick up the watch, it has stopped on the 15th. U need to advance/jump the hour hand 24 times to advance 1 day. In this case, u may need to jump the hour hand by as much as (24x16= 384) times to set to the correct date. :shock:
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 17 Apr 2011 23:39

Remedy wrote:
sadness i think best is to spend time shaking my watches
U make it sound like a torture?! It can be fun actually..... during sexercise.... ;)