Seiko "The great blue"

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
edmundgoh

Seiko "The great blue"

Post by edmundgoh » 19 Jun 2011 23:06

Hi Guys,

I still couldnt believe it when I saw this NOS at Vivo City City Chain at 55% off the normal price.

Is this a collectable? SLT063P1

"The Great Blue" Perpetual Calendar, GMT, Sapphire Crystal, 8F56 Movement

Manufactured date estimated based on serial no. 2001 June

stratix

Re: Seiko "The great blue"

Post by stratix » 20 Jun 2011 04:16

all 8F56 caliber has been discontinued, so i believe yes, it should be.

looks great too :)
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 20 Jun 2011 08:02

Nice catch !!
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 20 Jun 2011 08:18

Collectible.... depends on your definition. If you are looking for a 8F56 watch (8F series HEQ, plus GMT!) to add to the mix, then yes it is. Buy what you love, love what you buy. :cool:

Will someone else pay equal or more than you did? Dunno, will depend when you sell it. :P Read Quartzimodo's take on it: http://quartzimodo.com/seikos-humble-cl ... ue-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only 8F56 watches which seems like that will always be the case are the SBQJ01* models with their Ti cases, which had sold for ~US$400.
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 20 Jun 2011 08:29

CoolieND wrote:Collectible.... depends on your definition. If you are looking for a 8F56 watch (8F series HEQ, plus GMT!) to add to the mix, then yes it is. Buy what you love, love what you buy. :cool:

Will someone else pay equal or more than you did? Dunno, will depend when you sell it. :P Read Quartzimodo's take on it: http://quartzimodo.com/seikos-humble-cl ... ue-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only 8F56 watches which seems like that will always be the case are the SBQJ01* models with their Ti cases, which had sold for ~US$400.
Agreed, no-one knows what may happen 5-10 years later .... there have been many instances of watches being unpopular when new/avaliable , but after many years later they suddenly become "highly sought after" . IMHO, the + of the 8F56 is the 10year battery life ...
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 20 Jun 2011 08:56

Nice catch, I hope you paid good price for it even it's going at 55% off :D

I'm a big fan of Great Blue line & this GMT model is not easy to come by locally. Love the dial design!

I almost bought the normal variant frm bras basah 2 yrs back, also going at 50%, asked jackson to resized the bracelet for me but..

even if he removed all the spare links, it's still too loose for my chopstick wrist :cry: :cry: arghhh!!!!...

that's the problem with integrated bracelet for me, sigh..

so if you're thinking of adding a normal 3-hand Great Blue into your collection, pop down to Hing's Watch & Pens at bras basah to check it out, not sure if that model is still there but can try ur luck :)
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
edmundgoh

Post by edmundgoh » 20 Jun 2011 18:49

Lol it still comes with local Thong Sia 1 year warranty. My cheapest Seiko yet. 200++ Can sell for profit but I guess I wont. It is at 99% new condition. Hard to believe it is 10yrs old.

Manufacture 2001 June, thus I suspect the 10years battery life almost up but haven encounter the 2 sec skipping yet. Will go Thong Sia to replace battery as I heard this 8F56 movement battery change has to be done by professionally. Only Seiko has the tools to reprogram the Perpetual Calendar function.
sengki

Post by sengki » 20 Jun 2011 20:30

bro what a steal man :P am looking for one also............ great watch
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 21 Jun 2011 08:07

edmundgoh wrote:Lol it still comes with local Thong Sia 1 year warranty. My cheapest Seiko yet. 200++ Can sell for profit but I guess I wont. It is at 99% new condition. Hard to believe it is 10yrs old.

Manufacture 2001 June, thus I suspect the 10years battery life almost up but haven encounter the 2 sec skipping yet. Will go Thong Sia to replace battery as I heard this 8F56 movement battery change has to be done by professionally. Only Seiko has the tools to reprogram the Perpetual Calendar function.
200+ is a steal :D

wear it in gd health!
chromehead

Post by chromehead » 21 Jun 2011 15:44

awesome hoot man! usually bros here would dismiss sitichain due to their mad prices and boring stocks, lol you just proved everyone wrong!
edmundgoh

Post by edmundgoh » 21 Jun 2011 22:39

I mischievously ask the sale gal and she reply thong sia once in a blue moon clear old stock. Guess i was there at the right time. Cant believe my eyes when i saw it. Beside the great blue is another watch of the same era. But i cant identify it. Red colour but since not my color i ignore it. Many high end ultimate kinetic sportura on 30% additional 10% for POSB / DBS card
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 21 Jun 2011 23:06

Nice going, that is a great price for a 8F56! :) And a looker at that! :cool:
iV3RsOn

Post by iV3RsOn » 21 Jun 2011 23:20

is it quartz?????
chromehead

Post by chromehead » 22 Jun 2011 02:02

iV3RsOn wrote:is it quartz?????
its a high accuracy quartz, +-20s/year, perpetual calendar, runs on a 10 year battery

a true set and forget to me.
edmundgoh

Post by edmundgoh » 01 Jul 2011 23:52

edmundgoh wrote:I mischievously ask the sale gal and she reply thong sia once in a blue moon clear old stock. Guess i was there at the right time. Cant believe my eyes when i saw it. Beside the great blue is another watch of the same era. But i cant identify it. Red colour but since not my color i ignore it. Many high end ultimate kinetic sportura on 30% additional 10% for POSB / DBS card

Previously mentioned that there another seiko of the same era beside seiko "the great blue". Today I went back vivo city chian to investigate and it turn out to be Seiko SLT047P Sportura with 8F56, Sapphire Crystal, screw down case back and crown. lol best of all with the same 55% discount price. How is this catch BTW?

kermit e froggy

Post by kermit e froggy » 09 Jul 2011 21:56

Wow', congrats on your 2nd hoot ! This black dial GMT Seiko looks modern to me but I do like e orange hand. E blue dial looks classy then. Nice catch within a mth ! Mind sharing how big is enwatch case for e great blue. How is it as compared to e Sportura GMT ?
softup

Post by softup » 10 Jul 2011 01:04

Good morning, mine say hi.

edmundgoh

Post by edmundgoh » 10 Jul 2011 11:03

lol and so I thought I am the only few 8F56 fan in this forum.

The GMT sportura is even older than the great blue, manufactured in 2000 July. Guess I am lucky to get it new on sale with warranty and unbeatable price.

The main difference btw them is that the sportura has a screw down crown but without the great blue rotating inner 24 hour bezel (operated by left crown).

Yellow GMT marker for great blue, bright orange GMT marker for sportura.

The sportura has a flat sapphire Crystal with anti-reflection coating that makes the glass invisible and produce the deepest black dial I have seen.
It is unlike other anti reflection coating, if you tilt the sportura against a light source it will produce a purple reflection, similar to those found in spectacle coating.

The great blue sapphire Crystal is not flat due to the external glass date magifier mounted on above the date. It doesnt seems to have anti reflection coating of the Sportura. Readability not as good.

The sportura also feature a internal date magnifier and large high Luminous hour hands and indexes. Solid stainless steel bracelet 2 push in button safety lock with the word "Seiko Sportura" encraved on the clasp.

The sportura is 42mm while the great blue is 46mm including crown. Both 100m water resistant.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 10 Jul 2011 12:26

nice catch again. i like 8F movts myself as well if i'm looking for a better quartz model

SLT095

Alpinist

8F35 Pipin

:)
kermit e froggy

Post by kermit e froggy » 10 Jul 2011 16:01

Wow, u guys rock. Personally I'm nt really a Quartz person Bt lately I pick up a 2nd Swatch at 42mm case. I'm really happy cos I've nt worries abt e hassle for servicing as well as time keeping. If this thread abt Great Blue wasn't so active. I wouldnt know abt e 8F56 quartz mov't which req. 10yrs battery change. I'm can say I'm Impressed.
So where to get another Great Blue ? I need one for
Myself !