Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
sys12345

Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

Post by sys12345 » 05 Mar 2012 23:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkkobw7Fy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now u can sync your watch anywhere under the sun!!! ;)
teddi

Re: Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

Post by teddi » 06 Mar 2012 12:15

Same as Citizen satellite
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 06 Mar 2012 16:49

sys12345 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkkobw7Fy8

Now u can sync your watch anywhere under the sun!!! ;)

Interesting but Citizen uses 24 Satellites instead of 3. Price also not Cheap ˜152,000 Yen - 210,000 Yen

SAST003 - black dial with white indices, ceramic bezel, Bright titanium case and bracelet - JPY199,500 (~USD2450)
SAST005 - black dial with gold indices, ceramic bezel, Bright titanium case and bracelet - JPY199,500 (~USD2450)
SAST007 - black dial with white indices, ceramic bezel, Bright titanium case and bracelet with black hard coating - JPY210,000 (~USD2580)

Got this off one of the many sites. Personally, the CItizen looks cooler though it may not be as technically competent but its close.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
superboey

Post by superboey » 07 Mar 2012 00:29

Interesting piece. Never seen before
SGS

Post by SGS » 09 Mar 2012 15:26

Today's BT: Seiko Epson unveils world's first GPS solar watch.
3 models in Ti, 2 models in SS, 47mm.
Expected to go on sale 2nd half 2012 between $2.3-3.3K.
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 10 Mar 2012 20:49

http://youtu.be/ShM-Vx0D3do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 10 Mar 2012 22:45

SGS wrote:Today's BT: Seiko Epson unveils world's first GPS solar watch.
3 models in Ti, 2 models in SS, 47mm.
Expected to go on sale 2nd half 2012 between $2.3-3.3K.
What makes this different from the Citizen watch? I like the look of the Citizen over these Seiko's.

Then again, not sure I'm gonna drop that sort of money on those watches, even with the fancy tech going into them...
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 10 Mar 2012 23:15

hate to admit

but the citizen design does it for me than seiko,lol
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
infinitesadness

Post by infinitesadness » 31 Jul 2012 22:17

is this available for retail yet?
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 02 Aug 2012 08:13

I thought there is another technology besides using satellites? Think it's about what using radio waves in different countries to sync the watch kinda thing... Read it in WOW before.. Is it Seiko or citizen using it?
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 02 Aug 2012 09:42

Casio G's use radio waves from terrestrial sources (towers), as do a number of Seiko's and wouldn't be surprised if Citizen uses the tech as well. Still, those are a bit lower end compared to these (as reflected in the price!); still the base tech is the same, don't satellites also use radio waves?
W5LK

Post by W5LK » 05 Oct 2012 23:49

Pertaining to the Seiko Astron GPS; the "Astron GPS" simultaneously receives up to 4 GPS satellites, in order to triangulate it's position, anywhere on the Earth's surface, while it ALSO ultilizes one of the GPS cesium time standards within one of the satellites, to synchronize the time (which is also synchronized to the NIST time standard just east of Fort Collins, Colorado, USA. Using triangulation, it determines it's position anywhere on Earth, (within 30 seconds)... and is able to adjust to the current, correct LOCAL time.

Casio's "Satellite" receives only ONE GPS signal at a time, serving only to synchronize the TIME. The wearer must MANUALLY set the watch to the desired time zone. YES, there are 24 operational USA GPS satellites, (with typically 3 additional "spares" in orbit). The Casio only receives ONE such GPS signal to synchronize ONLY the time. (Russia operates a symilar "GLONASS" navigational satellite system).

Other "Atomic" watches utilize a VLF (60 Khz) time standards, (in the USA, WWVB, near Fort Collins, Colorado), to synchronize the time of the watch, typically 3 times a day. Other nations operate similar systems... but generally, the wearer must be with 800~1000 miles of the transmitter, during daylight hours, with minimal "QRN" (thunderstorm generated static). At night, the range may extend upwards of 1500~2000+ miles. I own 2 such Casios... and find them to be extremely accurate, when compared to the NIST time standard signals on HF "shortwave" signals (2.5, 5, 10, 15 & 20 Mhz". Once again... the wearer must MANUALLY adjust the watch to the desired, local time zone... while the Seiko Astron GPS does it all AUTOMATICALLY.

NOTE: I presently am expecting delivery of one of the very 1st Astron GPS watches, delivered via FEDEX, within the next 4~5 hours!
W5LK

Post by W5LK » 08 Oct 2012 23:22

Having received my Seiko Astron GPS watch 3 days ago... and read the owners manual a couple of times, I add some further comment. Mine arrived, having been set to Japan time... and apparently, the 1st time it is set to your "local" time, you must do a "manual" time adjustment, in addition to manually setting the "Daylight Savings Time" (Summer Time) feature (if appropriate)... which is NEVER done automatically, by the watch.

The procedure for changing time zones is also not totally automatic, as well. One must expose the watch to an unrestricted sky, in order to receive the GPS signal, necessary to synchronize the time. (No excessive tall buildings or heavy foliage, to limit the GPS signal). The actual process begins with pressing "Button B for 6 seconds", which initiates a largely automatic movement of the "second hand", used to confirm the process... all requiring a period lasting from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, with the process terminating in an automatic resumption of time keeping.

Keep in mind, this watch is technically a radio receiver capable of operating on GPS frequencies (1.57542 GHz)... and as such, it's necessary to place it in the "In-flight Mode", upon boarding a commercial airliner... which is another 2 step process (and must be reveresed, upon arrival at destination).

In the period I've operated the watch, it's maintained a "Full" battery charge, even with wearing it
"24/7"... while exposed to sunlight, if only through a heavy overcast.

In comparing it to the U.S. NIST time standard, via HF (shortwave) broadcast, I estimate the "step" of the second hand to be delayed by approximately .02 seconds... which as I understand it, will improve, with greater periods of exposure to the sky.

Still... not bad, to be able to wear something that is synchronized to an accurate time standard, stable to within +/- 10ns!
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 08 Oct 2012 23:40

W5LK wrote:Having received my Seiko Astron GPS watch 3 days ago... and read the owners manual a couple of times, I add some further comment. Mine arrived, having been set to Japan time... and apparently, the 1st time it is set to your "local" time, you must do a "manual" time adjustment, in addition to manually setting the "Daylight Savings Time" (Summer Time) feature (if appropriate)... which is NEVER done automatically, by the watch.

The procedure for changing time zones is also not totally automatic, as well. One must expose the watch to an unrestricted sky, in order to receive the GPS signal, necessary to synchronize the time. (No excessive tall buildings or heavy foliage, to limit the GPS signal). The actual process begins with pressing "Button B for 6 seconds", which initiates a largely automatic movement of the "second hand", used to confirm the process... all requiring a period lasting from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, with the process terminating in an automatic resumption of time keeping.

Keep in mind, this watch is technically a radio receiver capable of operating on GPS frequencies (1.57542 GHz)... and as such, it's necessary to place it in the "In-flight Mode", upon boarding a commercial airliner... which is another 2 step process (and must be reveresed, upon arrival at destination).

In the period I've operated the watch, it's maintained a "Full" battery charge, even with wearing it
"24/7"... while exposed to sunlight, if only through a heavy overcast.

In comparing it to the U.S. NIST time standard, via HF (shortwave) broadcast, I estimate the "step" of the second hand to be delayed by approximately .02 seconds... which as I understand it, will improve, with greater periods of exposure to the sky.

Still... not bad, to be able to wear something that is synchronized to an accurate time standard, stable to within +/- 10ns!
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 08 Oct 2012 23:56

yea lo..
W5LK

PICTURE - My Seiko Astron GPS Solar Watch

Post by W5LK » 11 Oct 2012 01:00

Here's a picture of my Seiko Astron SAST008. One interesting feature noted, now on my 6th day of ownership, is that when the watch is exposed to relatively bright sunlight (in this case, through a thin overcast)... and when simultaneously viewing an "open sky" (in order to receive the GPS signal), the Second hand automatically sweeps to the "Y" position (adjacent to the 12 minute mark)... momentarily, while the watch "synchronizes", then goes on to continue displaying normal time. I then compared the second hand "step", while monitoring the U.S. NIST time standard "WWV"... and observed a very minor delay of perhaps .05 seconds. http://www.flysouth.org/astron-gps.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 11 Oct 2012 08:22

where's the pic?
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 11 Oct 2012 08:35

It's in his site.

http://www.flysouth.org/astron-gps.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/