Seiko Diver Recommendation

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
yongkg12

Post by yongkg12 » 14 Aug 2012 21:13

For advice, if 1 hv Sumo, what Seiko diver's range, will ! go after ?? Thanks ..
wrcfan

Re: Seiko Diver Recommendation

Post by wrcfan » 15 Aug 2012 17:00

yongkg12 wrote:For advice, if 1 hv Sumo, what Seiko diver's range, will ! go after ?? Thanks ..
Mmmh, sounds like a trick question.. A second Sumo? But seriously alot of other factors matters. What are the qualities, price range you looking at?
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 15 Aug 2012 17:21

There is many various Seiko Diver watches (vintage & current era), it all depend on you that you are looking for. Of coz, budget also do a part in ur consideration and also your own like.

Here the link for the history & reference for vintage Seiko Diver range:-
http://www.makedostudio.com/watches/seiko-divers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for current model, you may just google for it. By end of the day, is ur own prefer to go for vintage or current model. Of coz, if you are heading toward to vintage diver range, you need to do more homework or seek for more advise frm the Guru here (Not me as I also a new bird here) regards to vintage range.

Hope this helps :!:
Astro2212

Post by Astro2212 » 15 Aug 2012 18:29

aiken74 wrote:There is many various Seiko Diver watches (vintage & current era), it all depend on you that you are looking for. Of coz, budget also do a part in ur consideration and also your own like.

Here the link for the history & reference for vintage Seiko Diver range:-
http://www.makedostudio.com/watches/seiko-divers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for current model, you may just google for it. By end of the day, is ur own prefer to go for vintage or current model. Of coz, if you are heading toward to vintage diver range, you need to do more homework or seek for more advise frm the Guru here (Not me as I also a new bird here) regards to vintage range.

1St x i c ur england so gd sia
yongkg12

Post by yongkg12 » 15 Aug 2012 18:41

thank u all for your kind advice and in term of Sumo's quality and value (for modern diver), will MM 300, the next 'Diver' to go for or Others ??? ... thx
KKG

Post by KKG » 15 Aug 2012 19:16

Hi 1 & all

On this same note, I've a friend who has asked me to recommend him a durable diver watch, Seiko or Citizen or any other Japanese brand and must be an automatic unit.

His requirements are that it should not be too big, <45mm (incl crown), or too thick, screw down crown, uni-directional bezel, WP (or WR) >150m, etc.. He did mentioned that the Rolex Explorer looked nice but too expensive. It should also be scratch resistant, I suppose sapphire crystal would be in order??

Being a newbie, am unable to help and would appreciate any help/suggestions from bros here, thank you.
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 15 Aug 2012 20:09

KKG wrote:Hi 1 & all
On this same note, I've a friend who has asked me to recommend him a durable diver watch, Seiko or Citizen or any other Japanese brand and must be an automatic unit.
His requirements are that it should not be too big, <45mm (incl crown), or too thick, screw down crown, uni-directional bezel, WP (or WR) >150m, etc.. He did mentioned that the Rolex Explorer looked nice but too expensive. It should also be scratch resistant, I suppose sapphire crystal would be in order??
Being a newbie, am unable to help and would appreciate any help/suggestions from bros here, thank you.
Any budget for his criteria:-
1) <45mm incl crown
2) not too thick
3) screw down crown
4) uni-directional bezel
5) WR >150m
6) have Rolex Explorer lookalike
7) sapphire crystal

I not sure whether a Japanese brand have a Rolex Explorer lookalike (Paisai new bird here too). But if wanna have a Rolex Explorer lookalike in Swiss brand, then I find this ok... :mrgreen:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yongkg12

Post by yongkg12 » 15 Aug 2012 20:29

thank u all for the advice, for modern diver, in term of Sumo's quality (IMHO) and vaule, will MM 300 be the next 'Diver' to hoot ?
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 15 Aug 2012 21:10

Mm300 is da bomb
wrcfan

Post by wrcfan » 15 Aug 2012 21:34

yongkg12 wrote:thank u all for the advice, for modern diver, in term of Sumo's quality (IMHO) and vaule, will MM 300 be the next 'Diver' to hoot ?
MM300 is in all ways better than Sumo just that its about 3 to 4x Sumo's price
KKG

Post by KKG » 16 Aug 2012 07:32

Bro yongkg12, apologies for hijacking your tread.

Bro aiken74, thanks for your suggestion, is this brand available locally or does one buys this off the net? Is/are the movement/s used by STEINHART as good as Seiko's, durability wise? Swiss doesn't mean it's always better??

Thanks again.
Cheers
aiken74

Post by aiken74 » 16 Aug 2012 09:18

KKG wrote:Bro yongkg12, apologies for hijacking your tread.
Bro aiken74, thanks for your suggestion, is this brand available locally or does one buys this off the net? Is/are the movement/s used by STEINHART as good as Seiko's, durability wise? Swiss doesn't mean it's always better??
Thanks again.
Cheers
Yes, they are available in Sin, chk out this local shp that is selling (http://www.gnomonwatches.com/product-vi ... ch=&page=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You may go there to have the hand-on on the watches, thn you start to compare price as you may also purchase it frm Steinhart directly at here (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but of coz, if the purchase value is over $400 Sin dollar, get urself prepare to pay GST when it landed to Sin.

IMHO, I would say yes it is as gd as Seiko movement as they are running on Eta 2893-2 or 2824-2.
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 16 Aug 2012 18:21

Think aiken's referencing the 6R15 in his response on the movements.

Depending on the Seiko movement in question, of course... Seiko auto's go from the basic 7SXX in the SKX007 to the 6RXX in the Sumo to the 8LXX in the MM300, everything in between, above and below. :lol: :lol:

Does Steinhart have the same range of movements? Of course, they do have a reasonably-priced auto chrono movement, something Seiko does not seem willing to do (8RXX being the 'cheapest' auto chrono model...).
wrcfan

Post by wrcfan » 17 Aug 2012 09:20

CoolieND wrote: Does Steinhart have the same range of movements? Of course, they do have a reasonably-priced auto chrono movement, something Seiko does not seem willing to do (8RXX being the 'cheapest' auto chrono model...).
I have read b4 somewhere that besides their high-end exclusive models & lines, Seiko's main worldwide target market are for the masses, to make affordable yet functional watches.

As an auto chrono movement does require more jewels(parts) for the chrono functions which will incur higher costs, Seiko has looked at and came up with more cost efficient movements like their quartz and even their auto-quartz(kinetic) for the mass produced chronos which reasonably functions and last just as long without the price tag. I would think for bang for buck quality, arguably no other brand's chrono watches comes close to their mass produced models.
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 17 Aug 2012 13:17

All true, wrcfan, and I agree the 7L22 does somewhat fit in the need for a US$500-1k watch.

Still, it's a bit sad that the 8R's (in watches w/ ~Y250k MSRP's) are the low end of the spectrum, when you have other manufacturer's making auto chrono's for watches going into the sub-1k price range (Hamilton Jazzmaster 7750, for example). An updated 6159 (at a reasonable price) can't be too hard, can it? The again, perhaps Valjoux is just too good at what they do? :P

Well, OT, I guess. :oops:
wrcfan

Post by wrcfan » 17 Aug 2012 14:38

CoolieND wrote:All true, wrcfan, and I agree the 7L22 does somewhat fit in the need for a US$500-1k watch.

Still, it's a bit sad that the 8R's (in watches w/ ~Y250k MSRP's) are the low end of the spectrum, when you have other manufacturer's making auto chrono's for watches going into the sub-1k price range (Hamilton Jazzmaster 7750, for example). An updated 6159 (at a reasonable price) can't be too hard, can it? The again, perhaps Valjoux is just too good at what they do? :P

Well, OT, I guess. :oops:
OT abit but also kinda relevant too :D .

Totally agree that the 6159 or 8R isn't much as compared with other brand movements and could be updated into watches in the lower mid range but I do think that Seiko wants to keep these to their exclusive lines thus lesser produced + exclusivity to 1 brand = higher prices? Wheras the highly successful 7750 Valjoux chrono or ETA movements are very much availble to most watch brands low to high end and much more mass produced thus the low pricings in these movements.

I know its a shame as Seiko is capable of doing so much more, but I guess I would agree with their strategy as I'd prefer in-house, exclusive movements over the other.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 18 Aug 2012 01:41

In-house movements without any substantial improvements over out-sourced ones are in-house for the sake of in-house.

That said, the very old Valjoux is an in-house movement, when the watch brand falls under the swatch group.

Currently the Seiko auto chronos cannot be compared to the Valjoux, because Seiko's are column wheel movements, which supposedly costs more and are marginally more accurate in time measurement (no jumping of the chrono hand typical of cam lever movements). So a more accurate comparison should be with the new column wheel movement from swatch group, or going higher the Daytona movement.

I'm reading this off a phone, and sort of forgot how this thread started. Is it off to recommend vintage 6138 and 6139? These are column wheel chronos and a well cared for piece is incredible value.
wrcfan

Post by wrcfan » 18 Aug 2012 02:27

Lol.. No bro, the thread started as per the title, TS lookin for an alternative Diver to his Seiko Sumo then more Q&A came about from others and we are all kinda OT now. Maybe we should move part of this to another thread? Seiko vs the others?
yongkg12

Post by yongkg12 » 18 Aug 2012 07:37

wrcfan wrote:Lol.. No bro, the thread started as per the title, TS lookin for an alternative Diver to his Seiko Sumo then more Q&A came about from others and we are all kinda OT now. Maybe we should move part of this to another thread? Seiko vs the others?
Tq, Bro ... however, I'm a newbie and it kind of a learning process of learning more watch movements compared against Seiko