Seiko Quartz / Mechanical ?

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies

Seiko Quartz / Mechanical ?

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 14:20

Seiko Quartz watches are not very popular with many members here i have noticed , with many members prefering Mechanical movements over Quartz movements.
In Singapore is this common pratice also , even with non WIS watch buyers ?
As here in my country Australia , the majority prefer Quartz movements instead of Mechanical . As mechahical movements are mainly purchased by WIS here in Aust , but the general watch buying public prefer Quartz watches . ;)
ivan
HULK

Re: Seiko Quartz / Mechanical ?

Post by ivan » 06 May 2013 14:40

Ok noted

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 06 May 2013 14:43

For me, the preference is simple.

Plus, I like to pick and choose what to wear and wind it up, adjusting the time.

Anyway, it's personal preferences, like I prefer auto over manual transmission.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 14:46

The question really should be , do Singaporean non WIS prefer mechanical watches in general as opposed to Quartz?
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 06 May 2013 14:47

Do u prefer to write with left hand or right hand?

ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 06 May 2013 14:49

If u prefer left hand, can u tell me why u prefer left hand? And vice versa.

I think u get your answer.
Cheers

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 14:59

ivan wrote:If u prefer left hand, can u tell me why u prefer left hand? And vice versa.

Cheers

Hi Ivan , my point is more to do with the general SG watch buying public not members here . Trend patterns , as i said in OZ more ppl buy quartz movements .
Am asking in SG does the general public prefer quartz or mechanical ?

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 15:04

roo7 wrote:For me, the preference is simple.

Plus, I like to pick and choose what to wear and wind it up, adjusting the time.

Anyway, it's personal preferences, like I prefer auto over manual transmission.
The Credor pic shows a beautifull mechanical movement 'wow' its nice 8-) , but the comparison photo should be 'imo' a GS 9F movement to keep things on a level playing field so to speak :)

http://www.grand-seiko.com/manufacture/9f-quartz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 06 May 2013 15:14

In my humble opinion, and i guess...
Australians would rather spend their monies on other things in life, then on fashion accessories and jewels like watches.
This is why we often see from travel documentaries or other programs, in contrast to Americans, or any other countries in the Asian Pacific region like HongKong or TAIWAN as well as S.KOREA and also Singapore(maybe), Australians are seems not so fashion trendy. Aussie mens puts on mostly checkered shirts, fitting Jeans, and some in boots. While the ladies are mostly in long dresses/skirts. Very simple... and conservative.

Perhaps most australian watch owners views watches as practical time telling tool? Hence most of them are not so concerned whether it's mechanical or droid? As long as it's from reputable makers...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 06 May 2013 15:18

MIKER wrote:
ivan wrote:If u prefer left hand, can u tell me why u prefer left hand? And vice versa.

Cheers
Hi Ivan , my point is more to do with the general SG watch buying public not members here . Trend patterns , as i said in OZ more ppl buy quartz movements .
Am asking in SG does the general public prefer quartz or mechanical ?
It's not easy to determine whether most Singaporean watch buyers are buying watches for practical use, as fashion accessories, as collectibles or as investments. Hence it's not easy to give a clear answer or number to your curiousity.

I believe brudder IVAN's words applies to the general folks in SG... the numbers of folks belonging to those i pointed out above could be equal.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 06 May 2013 16:12

It's hard to make a comparison here. I think the general public prefer quartz... Or better yet, most ppl nowadays prefer their phone. These are the general public, whether is Aust or SG.

If u r talking to a wis, majority would prefer mechanical watches (auto and handwinding), because horology is an art and an acquired skill. A mech watch will never be as accurate as a quartz, but that's not why WIS enjoys collecting.

On the other hand, there are also G-shock collectors. And to them, I doubt the watch being quart is not one of the key buying factor.

I personally prefer mechanical watches, I enjoy winding it up and seeing the second hand sweep with those small beats per second.
I like the idea that there are gears being turned by a wound up spring strapped to my wrist - keeping my day on schedule.
But I also like tunas... And mostly they are quartz :D
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 06 May 2013 16:24

To answer Miker, I would think that most people would prefer a wear and forget type of watch which would most likely be a quartz watch. These do not require much adjustment as they tend to be super accurate and only a change of battery is require once a couple of years.

Therefore, in my opinion, most people, be it in SG or Oz or anywhere else, quartz watches would be the preference.

I agree that collectors are a different breed all together. Mechanical watches being what they are, appeal to the collector's sense of beauty, art value and of course "collectability" value.

Just my two cents.

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 16:39

KKFA wrote:To answer Miker, I would think that most people would prefer a wear and forget type of watch which would most likely be a quartz watch. These do not require much adjustment as they tend to be super accurate and only a change of battery is require once a couple of years.

Therefore, in my opinion, most people, be it in SG or Oz or anywhere else, quartz watches would be the preference.

I agree that collectors are a different breed all together. Mechanical watches being what they are, appeal to the collector's sense of beauty, art value and of course "collectability" value.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for your reply , as when i last visted Singapore i paid no attention to what type of watch the majority of the general public wears Quartz or Mechanical ?
It makes sense most non WIS even in SG choose to wear Quartz watches , i also pointed out that here in OZ WIS prefer mechanical , but the general watch wearing public overwhelmingly choose Quartz .
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 06 May 2013 16:51

Lets throw the question in the other way.

If you are just buying a watch to tell time, will you spend $2 in Daiso to get a cheap digital watch or will you spend up to $400 for a g shock (not familiar with g shock, I know some models are very expensive). Or a $10-20 watch from a push cart.

They are still quartz and digital display.

Now the second question, do you prefer analogue or digital ? I recall reading a WUS thread that the younger generation now can't tell time on analogue display. Sounds exaggerated thou.

All boils down to personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 06 May 2013 16:52

roo7 wrote:Lets throw the question in the other way.

If you are just buying a watch to tell time, will you spend $2 in Daiso to get a cheap digital watch or will you spend up to $400 for a g shock (not familiar with g shock, I know some models are very expensive). Or a $10-20 watch from a push cart.

They are still quartz and digital display.

Now the second question, do you prefer analogue or digital ? I recall reading a WUS thread that the younger generation now can't tell time on analogue display. Sounds exaggerated thou.

All boils down to personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone
Nicely put.
+1

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 16:53

big-e-294 wrote:It's hard to make a comparison here. I think the general public prefer quartz...
I personally prefer mechanical watches, I enjoy winding it up and seeing the second hand sweep with those small beats per second.
I also really appreciate mechanical watches , even with their so called flaws .
Last edited by 004 on 06 May 2013 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 17:01

If you are just buying a watch to tell time, will you spend $2 in Daiso to get a cheap digital watch or will you spend up to $400 for a g shock
If i wanted to just tell the time , i will buy the $2.00 Daiso store watch or use my Galaxy phone .
But as we are mostly WIS , we buy better than the above . Remember my question is aimed at the general publics buying trends & not our forum members personal buying preferences :)

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 17:05

:? :?
Last edited by 004 on 06 May 2013 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 06 May 2013 17:11

MIKER wrote:

If you are just buying a watch to tell time, will you spend $2 in Daiso to get a cheap digital watch or will you spend up to $400 for a g shock
If i wanted to just tell the time , i will buy the $2.00 Daiso store watch or use my Galaxy phone .
But as we are mostly WIS , we buy better than the above . Remember my question is aimed at the general publics buying trends & not our forum members personal buying preferences :)
Then I suggest u ask in the general public forum.

Cheers

Post by 004 » 06 May 2013 17:15

ivan wrote:
Then I suggest u ask in the general public forum.

Cheers
Hhmm , do i sense a hint of hostility bro Ivan :?