japan made/other country made seiko, difference/advantages

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
Solanum88

Re: japan made/other country made seiko, difference/advantag

Post by Solanum88 » 14 Jul 2013 18:13

Another point of view I read is that J and K are essentially the same just that shipping route is different :?:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/diffe ... 81783.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 14 Jul 2013 18:21

CoolieND wrote:
herzausstahl wrote:There you go, summarized :grin:

Cooliend I'm just being flippant, can't help noticing your caveat tucked neatly in the centre of the wall :grin::grin::grin:

Sent from my Nokia 8810
No worries. :P Course, until someone can answer why TS cannot bring in or sell non-JDM MIJ models... can't think of any better reason. :?

Care to theorize with me? ;)
Pure speculation below:

Watch enthusiast like us are just a small portion of the market, the mass market segment they are targeting would not be too concerned over J or K or even any random alphabet placed behind so its a case of which version is cheaper/easier for them to bring in to distribute at a higher margin?
There might be demand for MIJ versions from us but it might not be cost effective from their pov to bring those in.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 14 Jul 2013 18:32

My speculation is cost, compounded by arbitrage. :grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 14 Jul 2013 18:33

herzausstahl wrote:My speculation is cost, compounded by arbitrage. :grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
Keeping it short for Ivan.

Sent from my Nortel 1822
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 14 Jul 2013 19:38

herzausstahl wrote:
herzausstahl wrote:My speculation is cost, compounded by arbitrage. :grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
Keeping it short for Ivan.

Sent from my Nortel 1822

sent from the DARK side
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 15 Jul 2013 12:55

Heard from a reliable source that 90% of watch aficionados like us only go for mechanical movements (auto / manual).

But 90% of actual watch buyers in the world buy quartz.

But for most of us (in the 10% minority) having the word MIJ is simply a peace of mind. Cos Japanese made products are known to be rock solid, right?

Japanese cars, guitars, av models, av actresses... All a class of their own!
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
jasonpkt

Post by jasonpkt » 15 Jul 2013 15:10

Now Japanese goods mostly does not make in Japan. An MIJ cars also do get recalls. Not sure how we can justify MIJ watches are better now compare to say 20-30 years ago.
grumpy

Post by grumpy » 15 Jul 2013 16:04

Do you guys speak/write English?
I am totally confused now!
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 15 Jul 2013 16:45

True that, Jason. Thailand Made Toyota Vios, anybody?

All yours for 100k including COE. :)
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 16 Jul 2013 08:03

Solanum88 wrote:Pure speculation below:

Watch enthusiast like us are just a small portion of the market, the mass market segment they are targeting would not be too concerned over J or K or even any random alphabet placed behind so its a case of which version is cheaper/easier for them to bring in to distribute at a higher margin?
There might be demand for MIJ versions from us but it might not be cost effective from their pov to bring those in.
But then, why are there even J versions (of low-end watches) to begin with?

Why are these not sold in the USA / Europe instead?

And why are the J's on the grey market going for less than the 'K' version from TS?

*shrug*
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 16 Jul 2013 08:17

CoolieND wrote:
Solanum88 wrote:Pure speculation below:

But then, why are there even J versions (of low-end watches) to begin with?

Why are these not sold in the USA / Europe instead?

And why are the J's on the grey market going for less than the 'K' version from TS?

*shrug*

I don't think we can use the selling price by retailers to compare, its what price TS/Parallel importers are selling to these retailers that matters. PI might be happy to sell to retailers at a lower margin as compared to TS but end of the day I think no one knows the real answer besides Seiko and TS themselves. :)
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 16 Jul 2013 12:41

见好就收,brothers,见好就收。

As long as you are comfortable with a PI set & you're having the best value, let the mystery of prices solve by itself.

If luxury items are controlled pricing like petrol, I'd switch hobbies.
CoolieND

Post by CoolieND » 16 Jul 2013 21:14

Ah, agreed it's an academic discussion only, as said before, very likely no difference in quality. Still, hypothesizing is fun. :P
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 17 Jul 2013 00:01

Image Best valued Diver in the world. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk