Seiko SKX007 worth to get?

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
Aloyipad

Seiko SKX007 worth to get?

Post by Aloyipad » 09 Jan 2014 14:40

Hi guys I'm new to the watch scene, been lurking around this forum this past week and very tempted to hoot a seiko this month. Have only owned a few pairs of watches passed down from my dad e.g. orient star. Thinking of getting a skx007 as a starter, is it a good pair to start with? And where would be a good place/price to get it. I saw a pair on skywatch http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/se ... 2-1764.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should I just get it online or go down to their store to look at other models. I have a budget of up too $500-600, are there any better alternatives in the seiko line? P/s I'm interested in the "tuna" models as well, but seems like it will be above 1k for any? Thanks! :)
Pokefan

Re: Seiko SKX007 worth to get?

Post by Pokefan » 09 Jan 2014 15:19

Seiko 007 is quite popular as a modding watch.
If wanna get, maybe try Mr Goh @ K2, handsome enough, price better.

If you interested in the Tuna models, you can look at the Sardine/Baby Tuna series. Probably around $300 - $400 i guess?
Else expand your budget abit more and get the reliable Seiko Sumo.
Can google or search the forums for more pics and review about the above watches.

Beware, is poisonous though :P
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 09 Jan 2014 15:42

with budget of 500 to 600, skip the SKX007 and monsters and go for a sumo? It's the next level in terms of movement and finishing....
Tuna will be out of your budget, even used ones. Unless u go for the baby tunas or sardines, then 500-600 is more than enough. In fact you can get a sardine and a skx007 for around 600....
once u start, you cannot stop..ahaha
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Andylau

Post by Andylau » 09 Jan 2014 16:45

balzebub71 wrote:with budget of 500 to 600, skip the SKX007 and monsters and go for a sumo? It's the next level in terms of movement and finishing....
Tuna will be out of your budget, even used ones. Unless u go for the baby tunas or sardines, then 500-600 is more than enough. In fact you can get a sardine and a skx007 for around 600....
once u start, you cannot stop..ahaha

Agree with bro bal71, top up abit more and get the prospex series, sumo, in terms of the look and watch movement, it considers the entry level of Seiko divers..

Also once started you will be poisoned forever lol
Aloyipad

Post by Aloyipad » 09 Jan 2014 16:49

^ Thanks for the reply guys :D Does K2 carry any sardine/baby tuna or sumo model? I think I will just drop by the shop over the weekend. I been looking at this http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/watc ... nd_item_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worth getting? I got no idea what it is, just like the look of it :roll: Shall read up more first :)
doinkydoink

Post by doinkydoink » 09 Jan 2014 17:16

+1 for Sumo. You get hack and wind feature as well.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 2
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 09 Jan 2014 17:41

I guess u want mechanical watches right? Then a meachanical Tuna will be way beyond your budget. Even the quartz Tunas will be above 1k.

IMHO, if a diver is what u want and your budget is already 5 to 600, stretch to about 700 and get a Sumo like what our resident gurus advised. Get to know and enjoy the watch. Meanwhile save up for the Tuna if thats what you want.

Main thing is to enjoy the journey. Good hunting!
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 09 Jan 2014 20:01

Ya sumo is a good introduction to seiko divers...Can get from rakuten for less than 600 or close to that. Then next target will be mm300..Then GS SD diver...never end

Sent from the dark side
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 09 Jan 2014 20:55

The watch you are looking in rakuten is a quartz fieldmaster, look similar to tuna. It should be available in Big Time.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 10 Jan 2014 08:19

To answer your question:

Yes, the SKX007 is a good pair to start with. Next up you can get the "Sea Urchin" SNZF17J1 or K1.

Once you're set off, you can hunt for the vintage divers: 6105, 6309, and 7002 to complete your collection.

I currently have the following: 6105-8119, 6309-7040, 6309-7290, 7002-700J, the Sea Urchin and the Emperor Tuna - SBDX011. Each has a story of its own, ha-ha! But alas! I have yet to get myself the SKX.

Personally I would go to skywatches myself and buy the watch instead of going online and waiting for it to be delivered. Alternatively, going to K2 is always a pleasure for me!

Hope this helps. Have a nice weekend ahead.

Cheers.
Aloyipad wrote:Hi guys I'm new to the watch scene, been lurking around this forum this past week and very tempted to hoot a seiko this month. Have only owned a few pairs of watches passed down from my dad e.g. orient star. Thinking of getting a skx007 as a starter, is it a good pair to start with? And where would be a good place/price to get it. I saw a pair on skywatch http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/se ... 2-1764.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should I just get it online or go down to their store to look at other models. I have a budget of up too $500-600, are there any better alternatives in the seiko line? P/s I'm interested in the "tuna" models as well, but seems like it will be above 1k for any? Thanks! :)
eeee78

Post by eeee78 » 10 Jan 2014 08:39

Aloyipad wrote:^ Thanks for the reply guys :D Does K2 carry any sardine/baby tuna or sumo model? I think I will just drop by the shop over the weekend. I been looking at this http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/watc ... nd_item_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worth getting? I got no idea what it is, just like the look of it :roll: Shall read up more first :)
Had one and flipped it within a week.
The actual watch looked too "busy" compared to photo.

Price is about the same as a Sumo.
IMHO, get the Sumo.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 10 Jan 2014 12:48

eeee78 wrote:
Aloyipad wrote:^ Thanks for the reply guys :D Does K2 carry any sardine/baby tuna or sumo model? I think I will just drop by the shop over the weekend. I been looking at this http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/watc ... nd_item_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worth getting? I got no idea what it is, just like the look of it :roll: Shall read up more first :)

IMHO, get the Sumo.
Wait a minute!

From what I know, the Sumo belongs to the PROSPEX Line, as with the Samurai. How on earth can the Sumo be priced about the same as the SKX? :?: :shock:

I don't think so!

IMHO, get the SKX007J first.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 10 Jan 2014 13:13

eeee78 wrote:

IMHO, get the Sumo.
Oh I get it now. You were comparing to the fieldmaster and not the SKX.

Sorry-sorry.

Still, I suggest get the SKX first! :mrgreen: :lol:
Aloyipad

Post by Aloyipad » 10 Jan 2014 14:02

Thanks for the reply guys! Shall head down to the store first, may just get a sumo straight. See what the uncles has to offer, or maybe both :P To the bros who pm-Ed me, I got no access to private message yet lei, not enough posts. Will post some pics once I get my hands on a pair ;) the poison is getting to me. P/s this is a tuna right? http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/watc ... wsehist_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; why is it so cheap? It's a fieldmaster not a diver watch right :!: :?:
eeee78

Post by eeee78 » 10 Jan 2014 15:53

Aloyipad wrote:Thanks for the reply guys! Shall head down to the store first, may just get a sumo straight. See what the uncles has to offer, or maybe both :P To the bros who pm-Ed me, I got no access to private message yet lei, not enough posts. Will post some pics once I get my hands on a pair ;) the poison is getting to me. P/s this is a tuna right? http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/watc ... wsehist_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; why is it so cheap? It's a fieldmaster not a diver watch right :!: :?:
How deep do you usually dive?
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 10 Jan 2014 16:53

If i'm not wrong, there were some issues of bad service at skywatches reported in WUS recently.
If you thinking of hooting Sumo locally, Big Time might be a better choice.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 10 Jan 2014 17:39

Pokefan wrote:If i'm not wrong, there were some issues of bad service at skywatches reported in WUS recently.
If you thinking of hooting Sumo locally, Big Time might be a better choice.
agree, skywatches service is non existent...and their sumo prices are ridiculous, sales staff attitude also pretty poor most of the time unless it's your lucky day.
Big time better and their sumo price on high side but still can stomach as you get local service support from them.
cirdec

Post by cirdec » 10 Jan 2014 17:47

skywatch's CS so so only. IIRC, the sumo is around mid 800+
I believe Big Time's pricing is much better.
I'd go the latter anytime.

as for the SKX007,get it from K2 as a daily beater or "rough wear" oso not a bd idea.
Andylau

Post by Andylau » 10 Jan 2014 18:46

Seen one at Andy's shop last week, pricing wise quite attractive, you might want to take a look there.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 10 Jan 2014 20:16

You can go to Big Time website and check thier JDM prices, no secret. Locally I think Big Time Sumo price is probably best. Online prices are good but consider GST, service backup and being able to handle/wear the piece on your wrist, the price difference may not be quite so far apart.

Happy hunting.