Search for the "Perfect" Multi-Time Zone Watch

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
big-e-294

Re: Search for the "Perfect" Multi-Time Zone Watch

Post by big-e-294 » 13 Oct 2014 10:47

jtfoo wrote:I'm looking to get this. Just released last week.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-eco ... tch-hands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gxgx bro.... Looking fwd to your review and photos :D

Sent from The Force
Tsubame

Post by Tsubame » 14 Oct 2014 02:15

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-eco ... tch-hands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A little poison to swing you the other way? :mrgreen:

seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 14 Oct 2014 18:32

The beautiful thing about watches is the creation of art from a function piece. Nonetheless I am thinking of streamlining my search by categorizing the solutions to different approaches then find my beauty in the selected approach.

Approach 1: Divers, using bezel to read the second time zone. Simple solution easy to do but don't cater for those half hour places that I go (such as New Delhi) and need some practise to get used to. mMybe changing the bezel to 1, 2...12 will help but I also used it as a parking ticket timer.
ImageDivers Seiko n Tag. For the SKX007 local time 5.38, second time zone 7.38. PM or AM determine by seeing sun outside
ps: the wide bezel of the tag really makes the watch look small doesn't it?

Approach 2: Dual time at One time. I love this Eco-Drive cos I dont have to change the battery and the date is always right, especially when I tear parking coupon. Nice dressy bracelet and roman numerals. But a very awkward solution to second time zone cos it may take a long while for it to wind to second time and you can't see 2 times at the same time. Also the lume is just barely adequate at night.
ImageCitizen Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar

Approach 3: Electronic. This gives me the solution to those awkward half-hour time zone change.
The Pathfinder also gives me a compass for general direction when I get lost overseas especially at night and I don't want to look lost by flipping out my phone. Moon feature for 1st n 15th lunar and also can tell people whether you feel it is gonna be bright tonight. But looks wise a bit out for my workplace. Again solar-no change battery
ImageCasio Protrek Pathfinder

In this category is also a simple super. He gives me "analogue" home time, local time with corresponding local date. Not a solar but 10yr battery life. I guess I can live with that. He is so light I can bring it for jogging, bike or swim.
ImageCasio World Time 10 yrs

Approach 4: GMT. I am exploring this option now. But a bit tempted to use a normal diver with bezel as a simpler solution. Also can't solve the half-hour time zones.

Approach 5: 2 Analogues. One big, one small. Astron and Citizen AT9010 series. Some G-Shocks also here with a more rugged look. I think SBDM007 is also here, with the additional plus of slide rule.

Approach 6: Rotating world time bezel. A bit or work whenever you wanna tell time everytime. A diver does this work in the brain.

Approach 7: Analogue+Electronic. G-Shocks. Citizen Skyhawk or Navihawk, also can play with the slide rule computer to pretend to be good in maths. snj017 is also here. A new type of looks which is hybrid.

Any particular approaches that any one find better, be it practical function use or aesthetics (by this I mean the general sense-eg combining electronic with analogue)? Please feel free to discuss the merits and demerits of each approaches and also any peculiarities or preferences. (I still have not a GMT and slide rule so my comments are biased in a way.)
Last edited by seikocitizen on 14 Oct 2014 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
seiko siao

Post by seiko siao » 14 Oct 2014 18:48

or u can consider this new model from citizen.$400+
Wist List
IWC IW377709 or IW377719
Panerai PAM 111
Seiko MM300 SDBX001 or SBDX012
Tudor Blackbay Bronze 79250BM
Omega Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005
Longines Legend Diver L3.674.4.50.0
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 14 Oct 2014 20:09

I don't like Citizen for some reason, but this one... wow. I might do a U-turn.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 14 Oct 2014 20:14

Do u travel to half-hour timezones areas?

Sent from The Force
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 14 Oct 2014 20:19

oncleoliver wrote:

I don't like Citizen for some reason, but this one... wow. I might do a U-turn.
Ok after I read this, I remembered why I am a Seiko fan

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko- ... 71512.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
seikocitizen

Re: Search for the

Post by seikocitizen » 14 Oct 2014 20:31

big-e-294 wrote:Do u travel to half-hour timezones areas?

Sent from The Force

Unfortunately I do, mainly India. I even have to report the time difference and estimated time or arrival. It is a bit a pain. That's why the search for the super watch.

My only consolation is I don't travel to those 45min hour time zone, I would go crazy.
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 14 Oct 2014 22:24

seikocitizen wrote:
big-e-294 wrote:Do u travel to half-hour timezones areas?

Sent from The Force

Unfortunately I do, mainly India. I even have to report the time difference and estimated time or arrival. It is a bit a pain. That's why the search for the super watch.

My only consolation is I don't travel to those 45min hour time zone, I would go crazy.
Tech crew?
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 14 Oct 2014 22:34

seiko siao wrote:or u can consider this new model from citizen.$400+
the black stout in the middle really... hunky! Sibeh man!
Eco-Drive vs KINETIC, price vs price, bracelet vs rubber, Color combination vs Color combination...
SEIKO wins on the Color part, on par with movement type, to me... looses out in other parts.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 15 Oct 2014 21:41

Lgt wrote:
seikocitizen wrote:

Tech crew?
Tech Crew
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 16 Oct 2014 06:11

seikocitizen wrote:
Lgt wrote:
Tech crew?
Tech Crew
Which carrier?
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 16 Oct 2014 13:05

Lgt wrote:
seikocitizen wrote: Tech Crew
Which carrier?
Bus Driver. :) U?
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 16 Oct 2014 13:13

Used to be bus driver, now back to the real thing. :)
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 16 Oct 2014 13:15

Lgt wrote:Used to be bus driver, now back to the real thing. :)
Hahaha..nice. Sturdy no worries.. :)
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 28 Oct 2014 01:34

big-e-294 wrote: Image
Seems like stocks just in @ Mustafa... Sayed Alwi wing have more than 3 on display...
:mrgreen: So very the hot!!! :mrgreen:
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Ed.YEO

Seem like some kind of recent CITIZEN's release?

Post by Ed.YEO » 28 Oct 2014 01:52

lunarin79 wrote:but no date?
Came across these 4 models on display @ Mustafa's Sayed Alwi wing... 9k series movement Mechanical with full calendar and Rotatable 24hr internal bezel to dial worldtimer?

The SS case and bracelet models priced around 7 orange 8 red bills-
ImageImage
Model number NB2010-58A/E where last alphabet signifies the dial color
http://www.citizen.com.hk/?content=895& ... ct_id=1330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.citizen.com.hk/?content=895& ... ct_id=1329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dual toned case and bracelet models priced about extra 4 red bills-
ImageImage
Model numbers NB2014-57A/E where last alphabet signifies the dial color
http://www.citizen.com.hk/?content=895& ... ct_id=1332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.citizen.com.hk/?content=895& ... ct_id=1331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initial impression when handled one of the variants above, i thought that the movement beats @ 21kbph, because the seconds hand rocks rather than sweep... but... the calibre manual proved me wrong...
http://www.citizen.com.hk/upload/instru ... 170_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a 28kbph movement. The initial impression is kind of spoiled by the long center seconds hand... :lol:
geengar

Post by geengar » 28 Oct 2014 12:08

Bro Ed.YEO, I also handle those watch from Citizen which you mentioned in your post. But they are not really true world time watch since the 24hr disk does not rotate along with the hour hand.
Audemars Piguet ROO Panda
Ball Engineer MasterII Diver Worldtime
IWC Saint Exupery Pilot Ltd Ed
Omega Seamaster Chrono
Rolex Submariner Hulk
Sinn U1 Dune Ltd Ed
Tudor Pelagos
Citizen Promaster Nighthawk
Orient Star GMT Boutique Ed
Seiko 5 Sports Spacewalk
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 28 Oct 2014 12:24

Ed.YEO wrote:
big-e-294 wrote: Image
Seems like stocks just in @ Mustafa... Sayed Alwi wing have more than 3 on display...
:mrgreen: So very the hot!!! :mrgreen:
This is a cool proposition. GMT is I want to adjust for long term. Bezel for short term n protection. Can just check whether you observed any issues with Kinetic as some claimed?

Don't mind checking with u the price there at Alwi, in terms of color bills? Thank you very much.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 28 Oct 2014 12:42

geengar wrote:Bro Ed.YEO, I also handle those watch from Citizen which you mentioned in your post. But they are not really true world time watch since the 24hr disk does not rotate along with the hour hand.
The 24hrs bezel is rotatable with the crown @ 0200hrs position...
Reference to the picture here. See the difference from the Citizen graphics against the real pic?
It's only the countries printed on the dial don't move...

Some teasers from the lume... picture from Russian forum