Search for the "Perfect" Multi-Time Zone Watch

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 12 Oct 2014 21:42

Dear Fellow Watch Masters,

If you have time, please bear with me while I explain my search. I love watches and think it cannot be totally substituted with a mobile phone. But while I have had some experiences and several watches I have not been able to find that "perfect" watch yet. I need some help and opinions. I have formed up some criteria which are still flexible and am searching for a watch that may fulfill most or even all of these requirements.

1. Multi-time zones: I travel to different cities with different time zones. Would be great to know at a glance the time for the origin and destination cities. Maybe a diver with a bezel may be a solution to this. Ability to read the watch in the dark by the table when jet-lagged beside the bed may be good.

2. Calendar: Date and day allows me to keep orientation of day and date as well as back home especially when I am overseas for days, changing time zones n days can be a bit confusing.

3. Maintenance free: I am a relatively simple and fuss-free person. I do not like to keep on changing the batteries for my quartz. I had Citizen Eco-Drive and Protrek Tough Solar and they worked great, the convenience of taking it and go is greatly appreciated. I enjoyed the compass and thermometer function of my Protrek but I guess it is not compulsory. I didn't service my Seiko and it works forever. I don't prefer spending time to keep on setting date and day when the watch is out, maybe decent reserve, if it's an automatic, is appreciated.

4. Tough and value: I am a "rough" person and can't baby my watch, is a sapphire a requirement or just change it when scratched considerably? Not really into the history and tradition of watches, more into quality for value and possibly ideas and innovation. It reflects my values more. Generally Seiko and Citizen reflects my values but I am open to others too.

5. Looks: I do prefer a round-faced watch as it reflects the perfect continuity of time. In my line of work, it seems that most are more agreeable to wearing an analog watch over a digital. Can go for most occasion; maybe a diver is suitable. Chrome-trimmed markers look great. A typical aviator setting is not compulsory but maybe good.

I am open to ideas and am still refining these criteria for this "perfect" watch. I also welcome any other solutions or refinement or changes to the criteria with an understanding of my circumstances. Don't really have a fixed budget but the high-end watches are quite a show, whereas I am more a function person and don't want my heart to hurt too much when my watch gets hurt in the tight workplace.

Many thanks in advance for your time and opinions. If you can post a picture of your suggestion it will be appreciated.
lunarin79
CEO

Re: Search for the "Perfect" Multi-Time Zone Watch

Post by lunarin79 » 12 Oct 2014 21:54

I'm not familiar with worldtime models myself, for analog types, I dun really come across with both Day/Date, esp for Jap watches but I may be wrong.

How about these few?

but no date?

ana-digi, snj017

lastly, Astron GPS
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 12 Oct 2014 22:09

Besides CEO's great recommendation, may I commend this piece. This is one of the few brand new watches that caught my attention at K2 in recent times.

"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 12 Oct 2014 22:27

TheChef wrote:Besides CEO's great recommendation, may I commend this piece. This is one of the few brand new watches that caught my attention at K2 in recent times.

SWEE!
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 12 Oct 2014 22:37

Seiko SAGA047 if your budget is higher.

Seiko SBDM007 if you prefer a sportier look.

"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 12 Oct 2014 23:02

I'm out of wits by this challenge but my best bet-recommendation: Casio G-shock GB-100. Image

All that you have asked for including 45 cities time zone.

Best of all, 90 bucks from A-cube. Bang for buck, friend. Best value ever. Battery life is worth 7 years, assuming that you use the lume sparingly...

I understand your line of work lean towards an analog-look watch. But I always believe in 5% the watch, 95% the confidence of the wearer. I've closed several deals with this GB. \m/

My 3.55 cents worth for your consideration! Cheerios.
Last edited by telepgm on 12 Oct 2014 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 12 Oct 2014 23:07

Thank you very much so far for all the suggestions. Before more suggestions are made can I supplement something. I never had a GMT watch and have looked at the Citizen Nighthawk which I assume is a typical GMT watch and I notice a problem.

Let me illustrate:
Suppose I am in Singapore and time is 12.00pm. I fly to Sydney and I adjust the hour hand to 12.00+2.00=14.00pm (without accounting the flight time for easy illustration).
When I fly back to Singapore I can't adjust it backwards to 12.00pm but have to add another 22hours ahead as it only adjust ahead and then I have to adjust the date by one month because it also adjust forward only. I believe the date is with reference to the main and not the GMT hour hand.

But if I can adjust the GMT hand forward and then backwards then my date reference and main hour hand can track home time accurately. The design of GMT time pieces are using the main hands to track local time and GMT hand to track home time as local time is deemed more important hence needs to be more prominent.

I hope I illustrated my problem.

But suppose if I can independently adjust the GMT hour hand forward and backward then the problem is solved. I also like the Nighthawk flight computer which is useful for me but it can't solve my basic problem.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I learn the adjustment from Youtube and don't really own a Nighthawk.

Thanks again for the help.
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 12 Oct 2014 23:15

Look I travel a lot and know what you are looking for. Once upon a time, I landed in Toronto after an exhausting flight and arrived at the hotel only to discover I had somehow booked my room... on the next day. So the dates and time are a huge issue as you cross time zones.

I do not think an automatic dress/dive watch can solve your woes... as these watches are more akin to jewelry.

At best, you solve part of your need by getting a GMT watch.

Not even a digital watch from casio or citizen can fully solve it for you.

I have widget on my android phone that shows me the time in Europe, Australia and several Asian cities at a glance on my home page.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 12 Oct 2014 23:50

Tripit to solve the travel plans.

What you need for time adjustment is a true GMT, so ignore those 24 hour hands watch as they as you describe can adjust forward and not backward.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 13 Oct 2014 00:05

Seiko Astron will do the job :)
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 13 Oct 2014 00:20

Simple.
Get a Gshock Gravity Defier or the twisted metal MT-G
It meets all your requirements:
1. It's tough
2. True GMT (dates changes back and forth so you don't need to manually adjust dates one mth )
4. Its analogue
5. If u can wear a protrek for work, the gravity defier or metal MT-G is just as good if not better
6. Tough solar
7. Both are cheaper than a rolex gmt and GS gmt (which incidentally can meet your requirements too)

My ex:

Sent from The Force
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 13 Oct 2014 01:32

There are few SEIKO's with simple designed rotatable bezels release in recent years that i budget friendly and easy to use...

For example mine... the SRP129
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1378&hilit=worldtimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A well as another member's... SRP437
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5825&p=101235&hilit=worldtimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example when i was in Osaka 2 weeks ago, i totally never adjust my piece when it's still in Singapore time. All i need to do to tell time when my hours hand point to 12 on the dial index, was just to turn the bezel where word HongKong points to 12 on the inner bezel, Tokyo on the bezel point to 13 on the inner bezel. That's where i know i'm 1hr faster than SG...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Tsubame

Post by Tsubame » 13 Oct 2014 01:43

What you need is an Astron.

Main hands adjust automatically to the time zone you are currently at.

Subdial hands remain at home time.

No messy manual adjustments.
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 13 Oct 2014 08:23

Tsubame wrote:What you need is an Astron.

If only they make Astron heavier... Astron feels like a toy watch. =P

~~~Delivered personally by the minions~~~
jtfoo

Post by jtfoo » 13 Oct 2014 09:28

Casio eqw range.
Also the just releases Casio GPW1000. GPS Watch. $999.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 13 Oct 2014 09:42

Evirobie wrote:
Tsubame wrote:What you need is an Astron.

If only they make Astron heavier... Astron feels like a toy watch. =P

~~~Delivered personally by the minions~~~
Isn't it Ti?

Sent from The Force
seikocitizen

Post by seikocitizen » 13 Oct 2014 09:45

Thanks for the many ideas. There's a lot of help. But please bear with me while I work it out.

I love G-Shocks and I had some, but as pointed by some in my working environment, something more formal may be preferred. Thanks to telepgm and big-e-294.

The idea of rotating the bezel to get the time is novel, but telling the time at a glance would be requirement as this is done many times throughout the day. Thanks to Ed.YEO

I didn't know there's a difference between 24hour hand vs a true GMT. Now I need to go find out how to tell the difference. Still lots to learn for me. Thanks to roo7.

The idea of phone app had and maybe would have to be considered. You may have said it. Thanks to oncleoliver.

Thanks to the rest, appreciate the nice pictures. Will be checking out the options.

ps: Sorry for being a trouble-maker.
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 13 Oct 2014 09:52

seikocitizen wrote:Thanks for the many ideas. There's a lot of help. But please bear with me while I work it out.

I love G-Shocks and I had some, but as pointed by some in my working environment, something more formal may be preferred. Thanks to telepgm and big-e-294.

The idea of rotating the bezel to get the time is novel, but telling the time at a glance would be requirement as this is done many times throughout the day. Thanks to Ed.YEO

I didn't know there's a difference between 24hour hand vs a true GMT. Now I need to go find out how to tell the difference. Still lots to learn for me. Thanks to roo7.

The idea of phone app had and maybe would have to be considered. You may have said it. Thanks to oncleoliver.

Thanks to the rest, appreciate the nice pictures. Will be checking out the options.

good luck and have fun. Sometimes the hunt is 90% of the fun. Just like courting girls in my teenage days. :)
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 13 Oct 2014 10:10

seikocitizen wrote:Thanks for the many ideas. There's a lot of help. But please bear with me while I work it out.

More formal. But on budget.
Then go with any Seiko Kinetic cal 5M85. It is a true gmt and they should have a style you like. Date changes back and forth according the Hr hand in gmt mode.

Examples of 5M85
SUN019 / SUN021 / SUN023

SUN015 / SUN017

Sent from The Force
jtfoo

Post by jtfoo » 13 Oct 2014 10:40

I'm looking to get this. Just released last week.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-eco ... tch-hands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;