Initial Impression: L.E Grand Seiko SBGE029G GMT SD

Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio and other Japanese watch companies
reservedseating

Initial Impression: L.E Grand Seiko SBGE029G GMT SD

Post by reservedseating » 10 Apr 2015 11:26

Good morning Seiko Club Singapore!

Didn't realize there was actually a forum for like minded Seiko Nuts in sunny Singapore to share their passion and craze for Seiko watches.

Therefore, in this virgin thread post of mine, it is my pleasure to present to you the Limited Edition Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE029G.

I picked up this exquisite piece of horological wonder just 3 days ago and am absolutely floored by it.

Initially, I had my eyes set on the upcoming Seiko Marine Master SBEX001 as I was a fervent Seiko dive watch nut. To me, it was the ultimate tool watch. With its monocoque design, helium impermeability, longer lasting lume, hi-intensity titanium coated with diashield, hi-beat movement and beautiful colour scheme that paid homage to its older sibling, it was THE watch to die for. I was a button click away from pre-ordering it when by some freak chance I stumbled upon the Grand Seiko on another forum.

The GS worked its magic on me and within minutes I was a convert. The battle between overkill and classy subtleness was a short lived one. Soon, it was clear that the huge diver was simply too much for my wrist to handle. The height and diameter wasn't something I could simply ignore. The fact that I also own a SBDX012 meant that I should be looking elsewhere if I wanted a variety in my collection.

The SBGE029G seemed to satisfy just that with its sporty yet classy design. It was something unique from what I'm used to having and with quite a bit of effort (one night of googling), I managed to track down a piece at one of our local Seiko Dealers. It was for me, the best impulse purchase of 2015.

Anyway, here it is in all its glory:

Purchased the SBDC027 as well since I needed a daily beater.

Lume Shot:

Under Sunlight:

Side by side comparison against the MM300:

Beautifully signed crown and Sapphire Crystal:

This is my 4th Seiko watch after my Seiko Brightz SDGZ013, Seiko Marine Master SBDX012 and Seiko Sumo SBDC027. Funny how they're all limited edition Seikos huh?

I thoroughly enjoyed all my watches and have been impressed by the quality and finishing on these Limited Edition Seiko watches but I have say, the Grand Seiko is a cut above the rest. Nothing comes close to it.

Finishing:

The finishing on the case and dial is simply stunning. There was a smooth transition between brushed to polished metal, with all the curves and edges executed at the right spots. The industrial looking caseback is stamped with a medallion like Lion Symbol and was a sight to behold. Coupled with Seiko's proprietary Zaratsu blade polishing technique, the watch gives off a mirror like sheen that had very little reflection distortion. Seiko also added in a deep navy blue guilloche dial that exhibits a sunburst sort of effect under proper lighting. The gold GMT hands gave it a nice contrast and improved readability while the 24 hour markings on the inner chapter ring allows the watch to tell time in 3 different time zones instead of the usual 2.

Also, the bezel on the SBGE029 is amazing. Stainless steel with a Sapphire Crystal insert that causes refraction of light under different angles thereby giving it a ghostly greyish blue-black tint. It is a lot like the lacquered bezel on the SBDX012 but with quite a bit more depth to the bezel characters. The best part of this bezel is that the hour markers glows at night. That is the coolest feather it has and I really wished Seiko did the same for their Prospex diving watches.

The mm300 is no slouch but the GS simply executes finer details better.
A shot of my mm300 bezel for comparison

Wearability

On paper, the Grand Seiko is thicker than the SBDX012 but it somehow manages to hide that thickness really well and looks sleeker on my wrists.

Weighing in at about 177g, the watch feels pretty hefty but in a good way. I personally prefer heftier watches over feather weight ones because I like to feel the watch on my wrists and it serves as a reminder to the somewhat careless me. Because of the weight, I never forget that I'm wearing a watch and will keep my distance away from table tops and walls to avoid potential mishaps from happening. The watch has an overall nice balance on your wrists and doesn't feel as top heavy as the MM300. Probably the only gripe I have is the lack of a full sized clasp. The SBGE015 (the Japan only, titanium version of the SBGE001) has a larger sized clasp and I felt that it would make putting on the watch a much easier affair.

Features

Spring Drive, GMT, Hacking Hands, Screw Down Crown, Signed Crown, Sapphire Crystal Glass, Sapphire Crystal Bezel insert, 200m water resistant, GMT Chapter Ring, Screw Link Bracelets, Lumed bezel markers, bi-directional rotating bezel and of course, true GMT time setting where the hour hand jumps in 1 hour increments with bi-directional date adjustment. The 9R66 Spring Drive movement is both revered and widely praised so I guess it needs no introduction here.

What I dislike

1. The watch is very well finished. No qualms about it. However, if I may nit-pick which I believe I should be since I'm paying top dollar, I would have to say that the bezel could be further improved.

2. There's a groove between the metallic parts and the Sapphire Crystal insert and I foresee it being the death valley of dust. Also, the polished metallic Bezel ring is a fingerprint magnet which happens to be really hard to clean because of its uneven surface.

3. Another pet peeve of mine is the unaligned signed crown. At full lock position, the GS wordings inscribed onto the crown does not rest in line with the plane of the watch. When screwed all the way in, the alphabets, "GS" is in a 90 degree position.

Conclusion

This is definitely a grail worthy watch. I like the originality in its design and sporty look. It has useful features and is also built to withstand the rigours of daily wear which I think is an important aspect of a good grail watch. Its design makes it versatile both as a dress down time piece or a black tie ball room gala statement maker; and it does all these without being loud, showy or braggy. It is the kind of time piece one wears for his own enjoyment; a subtle elegant and understated piece of art that runs smoothly and quietly on one's wrist.

Alas, a Grand Seiko doesn't need to be compared. It only needs to be appreciated.
xxccxx

Re: Initial Impression: L.E Grand Seiko SBGE029G GMT SD

Post by xxccxx » 10 Apr 2015 17:18

reservedseating wrote:Good morning Seiko Club Singapore!
Great review! Wear it in good health! Mind pm me on the "damage"?
david.tan

Post by david.tan » 10 Apr 2015 22:04

very nice blue dial! thanks for sharing esp those great photo :)
splee

Post by splee » 11 Apr 2015 15:28

Congrats bro. Nice catch there. The SBGE001 is in my wish list and after looking at your SBGE029 hmmm maybe I should get this instead.
reservedseating

Post by reservedseating » 11 Apr 2015 17:22

@david.tan: You're welcomed!

@splee: If you're ready to buy, let me know. I might be able to help you find it. I did my fair share of research and this model is pretty hard to find especially online since there isn't any info about it.
Paladium

Post by Paladium » 22 Apr 2015 16:29

Very very nice! So you are the owner of those fantastic pics on the FB group. :)
Hoot 1st talk later!
eltontan

Post by eltontan » 18 Sep 2015 11:45

this is a nice blue dial... seem that different color under different sun light
Cloud7

Post by Cloud7 » 01 Nov 2015 22:19

very nice!