what are u listening to right now?

General chit chat and off topics
TheChef

Re: what are u listening to right now?

Post by TheChef » 25 Jan 2014 09:36

nightwatchman wrote:One of my all-time favorite jazz albums... And a great album to test our hifi equipment. If I can choose only one CD for testing, this is it!

River : The Joni Letters - Herbie Hancock
If not satisfied after testing, sell and buy other equipment. This is why some audiophiles spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on hifi equipment and are still not satisfied yet. I choose to enjoy music with my inexpensive hifi setup and not be a carrot head. Just a word of caution. :)

But, again thanks to nightwatchman, we know that this CD can be used to check our hifi setup.
Last edited by TheChef on 27 Jan 2014 19:31, edited 3 times in total.
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 25 Jan 2014 17:47

Halie Loren - After Dark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 26 Jan 2014 20:42

Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart

nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 27 Jan 2014 16:43

Probably the ONLY "dong dong chang" music I will listen to... Almost all of the music in this album are very dark and moody (just like the movie, if you guys can still remember), so it is unsuitable for people who are seeking to relieve stress and relaxation through music - like TheChef.

The Last Emperor (OMPST) - Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne and Cong Su
Last edited by nightwatchman on 29 Jan 2014 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 29 Jan 2014 06:33

For sentimental reasons... Kyu Sakamoto's songs always fascinate me since young. I used to listen to his "Sukiyaki" and "Mustafa", not knowing who the singer was until recently. Kyu was one of the victims of JAL Flight 123 in 1985, the deadliest single-aircraft accident in history, and the second-deadliest accidental plane crash, behind the Tenerife airport disaster. However, he left behind an interesting legacy for future generations of music-lovers to discover.

Best Selection Original - Kyu Sakamoto
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 29 Jan 2014 10:40

鄧麗君 ~~ 千言萬語
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 30 Jan 2014 09:30

A long-missed smooth jazz album to unwind on the last day of Year of the Snake...

Cool - Bob James / Earl Klugh
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 30 Jan 2014 23:34

nightwatchman wrote:A long-missed smooth jazz album to unwind on the last day of Year of the Snake...

Cool - Bob James / Earl Klugh
As cool as a cucumber.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 31 Jan 2014 23:48

When I showed TheChef this CD album, he said it looks like an X-rated video. He also commented that such picture is best placed outside a 招财猫 shop. :D

Anyway, a dynamic masterpiece to start the Year of the Horse. Many of the tracks in this album can be used to test the distortion level of your loudspeakers. (WARNING: may damage your loudspeakers if played at high volume)

Carmina Burana - Carl Orff, Berliner Philharmoniker, conductor: Seiji Ozawa
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 01 Feb 2014 14:04

nightwatchman wrote:When I showed TheChef this CD album, he said it looks like an X-rated video. He also commented that such picture is best placed outside a 招财猫 shop. :D

Anyway, a dynamic masterpiece to start the Year of the Horse. Many of the tracks in this album can be used to test the distortion level of your loudspeakers. (WARNING: may damage your loudspeakers if played at high volume)

Carmina Burana - Carl Orff, Berliner Philharmoniker, conductor: Seiji Ozawa
A real pity if loudspeakers get damaged while testing.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 01 Feb 2014 14:33

TheChef wrote:A real pity if loudspeakers get damaged while testing.
That's why I put a disclaimer. Sikali play halfway, speaker drivers drop out of the cabinets. :lol:

The music in this album DEFINITELY will not damage your loudspeakers (unless you do something stupid like dialing the volume knob to the max).

Only Trust Your Heart- Toots Thielemans
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 01 Feb 2014 14:48

A piece recommended by nightwatchman to me to test quality control and power of my speakers.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 01 Feb 2014 14:56

TheChef wrote:A piece recommended by nightwatchman to me to test quality control and power of my speakers.

1812 is not as dynamic as Carmina Burana lah.

Watch this video: http://youtu.be/n-DgS75lfmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This music is so intense even the conductor's hair stood up toward the end of the performance.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 01 Feb 2014 16:17

Will your dad complain when you playback Carmina Burana? Sounds very dramatic. Reminds me of serial killer background music. Nonetheless, very nice music. Another fine recommendation from nightwatchman.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 01 Feb 2014 17:10

TheChef wrote:Will your dad complain when you playback Carmina Burana? Sounds very dramatic.
No leh... He quite enjoy it.

By the way, it seems like someone needed new speakers after listening to 55 minutes of Carmina Burana... :lol:

fireal

Post by fireal » 04 Feb 2014 10:43

buckethead - worms for the garden
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 04 Feb 2014 14:57

ATB - let u go

Sent from my
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 04 Feb 2014 16:38

Tionw, tionw, tionw... Relaxation music at its best!

Another great album to test your hifi system.

Portrait of Genius - Ravi Shankar (Remastered)
TheChef

what are u listening to right now?

Post by TheChef » 04 Feb 2014 18:14

Cello music to soothe my soul.

herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 04 Feb 2014 21:08

Mauro Picotto - o lele o lala

Sent from my